• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Maybe you need to work on organizing your books so finding anything isn't such a clusterfork. I mean I know you have a crapload of books from what you've said before but having no method of keeping them in order is costing you so much time every time you think you have some book. Easy for me to say since I have under 2000 books while you have something like 30K or around that.

The bigger question though is what is the plan if you find some copies of Bats 313-- are you trying to cash in on them while the book is hot?

Cash in. Some goes to my bank account, some goes to other books. Yes, I am in the middle of organizing. It is a project.  But I have the comics in about 400 square feet of space, so it is a challenge moving around. Plus my wife inevitably screams at me to stop organizing in order to do endless household chores. To be clear, 98% of the Batman themed books are separated in boxes. I still find a stray batman in unsorted boxes, but Batman was pulled a long time ago. Ditto with most big marvel characters. 

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

Cash in. Some goes to my bank account, some goes to other books. Yes, I am in the middle of organizing. It is a project.  But I have the comics in about 400 square feet of space, so it is a challenge moving around. Plus my wife inevitably screams at me to stop organizing in order to do endless household chores. To be clear, 98% of the Batman themed books are separated in boxes. I still find a stray batman in unsorted boxes, but Batman was pulled a long time ago. Ditto with most big marvel characters. 

I recall you tales of trying to get things sorted out before so I was sort of concerned. Was I close on the size of the task (30k books)? I cannot imagine having so many comics!

And I too would jump at the chance to cash in on what I feel is an obscure Batman book that is getting way more money than any one should probably pay. Ahh-- the joy of being primarily a Marvel collector (save the short box of Kirby 4th world). Heck-- I sold my extra copy of Ms Marvel for some decent money - people are a little crazy on some things.

Good luck on the hunt!

22 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I spent about five hours yesterday going through many boxes looking for the multiple Whitman variants of the Batman book that I know I have. I didn't find them. However I did find six copies of Fightin' 5 40 that I didn't know I had - they all have the same dead store price sticker on them so I know where I got them from. Not a Bronze Age book, but a $400-600 Silver Age book that I just found in a box. Merry Christmas to me.

I was looking for that too in my "misc old" boxes. No luck. It is a book I would have bought in a dollar box had I seen it just because of a 12 cent cover. 

27 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I recall you tales of trying to get things sorted out before so I was sort of concerned. Was I close on the size of the task (30k books)? I cannot imagine having so many comics!

And I too would jump at the chance to cash in on what I feel is an obscure Batman book that is getting way more money than any one should probably pay. Ahh-- the joy of being primarily a Marvel collector (save the short box of Kirby 4th world). Heck-- I sold my extra copy of Ms Marvel for some decent money - people are a little crazy on some things.

Good luck on the hunt!

My problem when organizing is I am constantly looking stuff up to see if it is worth anything.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

I was looking for that too in my "misc old" boxes. No luck. It is a book I would have bought in a dollar box had I seen it just because of a 12 cent cover. 

As a public service, here's what it looks like, for those who are box diving. What amuses me to no end is that this was a trash book for 50 years and suddenly it is worth a gazillion dollars.

fightin5040.jpeg

27 minutes ago, shadroch said:

What is special about that book? 

I'm 99% sure I don't have any, but now I will drag out my box of obscure war comics to be sure.

First appearance of the Peacemaker. Will be played by John Cena in the Suicide Squad 2 movie and then will have an HBO Max show. I make no judgement, I just report.

I never heard of this character until DC bought the rights and wasn't very impressed when he got his own title, but I could see it working with Cena in the lead. I recognize the title and have an issue or two, but chances of having that issue are pretty slim.

Thanks for the heads up.

22 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

First appearance of the Peacemaker. Will be played by John Cena in the Suicide Squad 2 movie and then will have an HBO Max show. I make no judgement, I just report.

I knew about the movie. Didn’t know about the hbo show. Is it a peacemaker show, or a suicide squad show that he’ll be a part of?

I was only aware of the character as I have some of the later Charlton solo books. Didn't even remember DC had licensed it years later. I had lumped it in with Judo Master and captain atom as a forgettable attempt by Charlton to have hero characters to compete with DC and Marvel. They only could seem to succeed with horror and monster books. They did a lot of terrible war books with no soul. E-man was a fun book that failed. They got rights to Bionic man and woman and those failed. Space 2099. Doomsday+1. Even good properties with good art got the Charlton kiss of death. Where were Charlton comics even sold? I only remember them at gas stations in the middle of nowhere as a kid on road trips. Never at a newsstand or the comic shop.

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

As a public service, here's what it looks like, for those who are box diving. What amuses me to no end is that this was a trash book for 50 years and suddenly it is worth a gazillion dollars.

fightin5040.jpeg

Well, I found the title, but came up a little short . . . (shrug)

F5-31a.jpeg

Don't get me started on the challenges of organizing when you have a full time job and multiple kids. The first pic is my garage in August. The second picture is me digging through my own stuff in September by standing on a pile of 50 longs after having to make room to get the wife's new car in the garage by taking about 50 more longs to storage. All the good stuff is buried on that side as the right side is pretty much my con stock/original owner runs/my Disney Duck collection/$3 books. The last two pics are what i found in about an hour of digging that night. Most of it I knew I had somewhere, though some came as a complete surprise since I either didn't know I had them or had forgotten (like the Hulk 180). 

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.png

4.png

On 12/27/2020 at 11:40 AM, 01TheDude said:

Maybe you need to work on organizing your books so finding anything isn't such a clusterfork. I mean I know you have a crapload of books from what you've said before but having no method of keeping them in order is costing you so much time every time you think you have some book. Easy for me to say since I have under 2000 books while you have something like 30K or around that.

The bigger question though is what is the plan if you find some copies of Bats 313-- are you trying to cash in on them while the book is hot?

At these prices, I would sell every copy. I was sure I had a nice Whitman around somewhere but I checked through the Whitmans I have most organized and I, too, have 308 but no 313. I really would've bet I had a copy but I can't find it. Compared to other Batman keys, this is way overvalued, and selling this to get those would be a smart move, as they will likely correct up or this book will cool down. Either case would be a win.

HUH? This is more than slabbed 9.4s sold for around the same day: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Feature-Vol-2-1-Red-Sonja-begins-Frank-Thorne-cover-art-NM-Cond/313244986310?hash=item48eedb2bc6:g:BZsAAOSwOqhfemlK     I know this seller does well, but that doesn't make sense.,

OK, understanding a chunk of this is in the #1, but this is pretty encouraging for the set. I guess #1 is Sonja's 7th or 8th comic appearance? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Feature-1-7-Marvel-Comics-Red-Sonja-1975-76-lot-set-run-1-2-3-4-5-6-7/193804759476?hash=item2d1fa9f1b4:g:WkEAAOSwey1fsTU8

Edited by the blob