• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2021 at 11:07 PM, littledoom said:

Godzilla #1 1977 is selling........ but it should honestly be a $100 book by now... very undervalued.. plus it's Herb Trimpe..  Fangoria 1 2018 sells for more than Fangoria 1 1979  w a Godzilla cover and poster... NM copies sell for $100.. but average is $50-60... that should be a $100-300 magazine

How exactly is Godzilla undervalued?  It's a $100 comic, because you think it should be?  :roflmao:

18 minutes ago, spreads said:
On 1/24/2021 at 11:07 PM, littledoom said:

Godzilla #1 1977 is selling........ but it should honestly be a $100 book by now... very undervalued.. plus it's Herb Trimpe..  Fangoria 1 2018 sells for more than Fangoria 1 1979  w a Godzilla cover and poster... NM copies sell for $100.. but average is $50-60... that should be a $100-300 magazine

How exactly is Godzilla undervalued?  It's a $100 comic, because you think it should be?  :roflmao:

There are always examples of comics that some people think are undervalued. I can remember reading similar statements about this comic or that in Overstreet market reports from 25-30 years ago and in this super silly market we're seeing right now, who is to say he's wrong? (shrug) I mean, I don't think Godzilla 1 is undervalued but who really knows? In any event, it's all opinion.

And no, Herb Trimpe art is not a legitimate justification for a premium in any case. 

Edited by Jeffro.

17 minutes ago, spreads said:

Fine. Dollar stocks.

It seems you are saying nobody wants a 9.6 and everyone can afford a 9.8. Which is not the case by any means.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, 1Cool said:

I ended up grabbing 3 CGC 9.6s for $100 each since I agree the book is due for a nice increase.  Easy book to find but if She-Hulk 1 can become a $300 book in CGC 9.6 then any book can get up there.

8 hours ago, spreads said:

I think that same logic was applied to buying penny tech stocks during the dot com crash.  lol

Godzilla movie coming in a couple months... whereas modern minor recent Z list character's books explode 3-5 years before they even make it to the screen..... ppl slept on Devil Dinosaur 1.... and Eternals 1... Eternals 1 was a $5-10 book 5 years ago

4 hours ago, littledoom said:

Godzilla movie coming in a couple months... whereas modern minor recent Z list character's books explode 3-5 years before they even make it to the screen..... ppl slept on Devil Dinosaur 1.... and Eternals 1... Eternals 1 was a $5-10 book 5 years ago

Here's a few differences:

Devil Dinosaur and The Eternals are properties wholly owned by Marvel (although completely the creation of Jack Kirby) that have never appeared in a movie or been exploited in any way. Godzilla is a property owned by Toho Studios that is 67 years old, has appeared in 36 movies if you count the US versions, and has had immeasurable merchandising exposure in figures as well as print. I'd bet worldwide more people would recognize Godzilla than Spider-Man. I can't imagine that the upcoming Kong vs. Godzilla movie is going to make Godzilla #1 explode in price.

Furthermore, I enjoy Herb Trimpe's art and even have a piece hanging on my wall but in no way does his work command a premium.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

6 hours ago, spreads said:

They are undervalued as long as I own gobs of them. :bigsmile: Every issue for that matter. :sumo:

On 1/26/2021 at 9:04 PM, Pontoon said:

Here's a few differences:

Devil Dinosaur and The Eternals are properties wholly owned by Marvel (although completely the creation of Jack Kirby) that have never appeared in a movie or been exploited in any way. Godzilla is a property owned by Toho Studios that is 67 years old, has appeared in 36 movies if you count the US versions, and has had immeasurable merchandising exposure in figures as well as print. I'd bet worldwide more people would recognize Godzilla than Spider-Man. I can't imagine that the upcoming Kong vs. Godzilla movie is going to make Godzilla #1 explode in price.

Furthermore, I enjoy Herb Trimpe's art and even have a piece hanging on my wall but in no way does his work command a premium.

Godzilla 1 is the 1st book on the Key Collector Comics hot 20 books of the week which should prompt a nice surge in prices.  I sold the 1st copy for $165 already and the next few should see a bump up each time.  Never underestimate the power of a 1st issue and being deemed the hot book of the week.

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Godzilla 1 is the 1st book on the Key Collector Comics hot 20 books of the week which should prompt a nice surge in prices.  I sold the 1st copy for $165 already and the next few should see a bump up each time.  Never underestimate the power of a 1st issue and being deemed the hot book of the week.

That'll do it, the "being deemed" by KCC.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

165 raw or graded?..im guessing graded.. ill be surprised if raw

On 1/26/2021 at 1:13 PM, Number 6 said:

Yes, but by that logic...which is sound, btw....a good chunk of the current hot “keys” wouldn’t be selling for nearly what they are now. 

It seems we’re now in a market where even the flimsiest excuse to call something a “first” is rewarded with dollahs.  

Well, Godzilla 1 has been worth something for a long time. Whether it should be a $100 raw book is another issue.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:59 PM, littledoom said:

There was a Godzilla movie in 2019. The girl from Stranger Things was in it. It lost money. Did it do anything for the comic? With that said, I kind of want to see Godzilla v. Kong. When it is on HBO Max.... I hope Godzilla 1 is a $100 book, I have a few of them. Devil Dino isn't doing much now. Yeah, Eternals 1 is bizarre, but it does tie in with Marvel universe. I agree, Eternals 1 does make anything seem possible. Godzilla movies do not tie in with Marvel. With that said, it is already often a $40-$50 book in nice shape, but I suspect VG copies will be doing better than the $10 they were getting a few weeks ago.

18 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Isn't this exactly our point, this book is entirely speculative driven?  You've done a lot of shows, have you ever in your life had someone say "I'm looking for Godzilla 1 for my collection"?  I've never heard anyone say they collect Godzilla comics....the argument that Godzilla is relatively undervalued because other books have gone up is not a defense for justifying its price.  Is a 9.6 a safe bet to buy the book?  Absolutely.  Will there be long-term organic demand for the comic?  Probably not.

8 minutes ago, spreads said:

Isn't this exactly our point, this book is entirely speculative driven?  You've done a lot of shows, have you ever in your life had someone say "I'm looking for Godzilla 1 for my collection"?  I've never heard anyone say they collect Godzilla comics....the argument that Godzilla is relatively undervalued because other books have gone up is not a defense for justifying its price.  Is a 9.6 a safe bet to buy the book?  Absolutely.  Will there be long-term organic demand for the comic?  Probably not.

Any growth in Godzilla 1 is 100% speculation driven.  I do not see many request for Godzilla 1 at shows but I didn't see any requests for Eternals 1 and Moon Knight 1 until it became the hot book of the week awhile ago and now people are selling them for much more.   I find it's best to not try to understand why the market is working the way it is but instead try to time the market and make an educated guess at possible trends.  I don't think Godzilla 1s will be $1,000 in CGC 9.8 but I did see a good chance for a decent upswing with the new hit movie coming out.

Long term demand is so 2010 - get with the times, man!

Edited by 1Cool

19 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Now do all the books you lost $$$ on because of what KCC told you was "the hot book of the week."

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Hold on, this has for many years been a books that was hardly worthless in OPG and many dealers brought it to shows and slapped a $20, $30 whatever price tag on it. I have no idea what sales were like on it, but this was not a dollar box book 2 years ago (ok, I have fished them out of dollar boxes, but not ones in good shape ... unlike Eternals 1 and Moon Knight 1 and Devil Dino 1). Indeed, there has been a lot of action on the title for 9.8s, but yes, mostly focused on the later issues that are HTF in 9.8. With that said it is interesting what the sales price ration for 9.6 vs. 9.8 is as I don't see 9.8s cracking $300 yet and 9.6 is over $150. That is a better % of 9.8 price than many 9.6ses get.

What I find amazing is Moon Knight 1 being $500 in 9.8. That is crazy. It is the one billionth appearance of Moon Knight! It was a book heavily ordered by shops and speculated on.