• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

Nothing new, but maybe a good thing I never bothered selling my copies the first time this book perked up:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=spiderman+annual+monica&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

If they can just figure out how to get Rocket Racer wielding Storm Breaker in the next Marvel Movie i may be able to retire between my copies of ASM 172 and Thor 339.

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

Nothing new, but maybe a good thing I never bothered selling my copies the first time this book perked up:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=spiderman+annual+monica&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

If they can just figure out how to get Rocket Racer wielding Storm Breaker in the next Marvel Movie i may be able to retire between my copies of ASM 172 and Thor 339.

i remember when this book was selling for $30 a year ago

Godzilla #1 1977 is selling........ but it should honestly be a $100 book by now... very undervalued.. plus it's Herb Trimpe..  Fangoria 1 2018 sells for more than Fangoria 1 1979  w a Godzilla cover and poster... NM copies sell for $100.. but average is $50-60... that should be a $100-300 magazine

Edited by littledoom

15 hours ago, littledoom said:

Godzilla #1 1977 is selling........ but it should honestly be a $100 book by now... very undervalued.. plus it's Herb Trimpe..  Fangoria 1 2018 sells for more than Fangoria 1 1979  w a Godzilla cover and poster... NM copies sell for $100.. but average is $50-60... that should be a $100-300 magazine

I ended up grabbing 3 CGC 9.6s for $100 each since I agree the book is due for a nice increase.  Easy book to find but if She-Hulk 1 can become a $300 book in CGC 9.6 then any book can get up there.

Edited by 1Cool

18 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I ended up grabbing 3 CGC 9.6s for $100 each since I agree the book is due for a nice increase.  Easy book to find but if She-Hulk 1 can become a $300 book in CGC 9.6 then any book can get up there.

I think that same logic was applied to buying penny tech stocks during the dot com crash.  lol

14 minutes ago, spreads said:

I think that same logic was applied to buying penny tech stocks during the dot com crash.  lol

A fool and his money are soon parted :)

But I will say the last copy sold for $145 and now I see copies starting to pop up at $175 so I'm happy with my purchase.

Edited by 1Cool

On 1/24/2021 at 11:07 PM, littledoom said:

Is Herb Trimpe art supposed to command a premium? He was a nice guy, but never considered a star, a journeyman who worked on some big books, like Dave Cockrum. 

While I get why the book should be worth something as the first american comic appearance, it is like the one billionth overall comic appearance if you count japanese godzilla manga that has been published since the mid 50s. It's not like we don't consider the British comic version as Judge Dredd's first, Captain Britain's first, V for Vendetta...Or is Manga viewed a different species of sequential art?

Edited by the blob

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

Is Herb Trimpe art supposed to command a premium? He was a nice guy, but never considered a star, a journeyman who worked on some big books, like Dave Cockrum. 

While I get why the book should be worth something as the first american comic appearance, it is like the one billionth overall comic appearance if you count japanese godzilla manga that has been published since the mid 50s. It's not like we don't consider the British comic version as Judge Dredd's first, Captain Britain's first, V for Vendetta...Or is Manga viewed a different species of sequential art?

Yes, but by that logic...which is sound, btw....a good chunk of the current hot “keys” wouldn’t be selling for nearly what they are now. 

It seems we’re now in a market where even the flimsiest excuse to call something a “first” is rewarded with dollahs.