• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Now do all the books you lost $$$ on because of what KCC told you was "the hot book of the week."

I can't think of a book that I bought for top dollar based on it being on the KCC hot list.  I've lost money on books like Preacher but that was pre-KCC.  I've neglected to sell quick enough and missed out on some money but I really can't think of a book that I chased and ended up eating money.  By the time a book lands on the hot list I better have it in stock or on the way since this market moves way too fast to be chasing books after it's seen it's spike.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:13 PM, spreads said:
On 1/26/2021 at 9:43 AM, ygogolak said:

Not really the same at all.

Fine. Dollar stocks.

You mean, lunch money. :bigsmile: (As opposed to "investment grade potential"?) lol

I have to defend myself and the other Marvel Godzilla collectors out there! It’s a fun read and a nice short run to collect. Also there are a total of 6 complete 9.8 runs in the registry! Love it hate it you have to admit that’s pretty impressive for a Bronze Age 24 issue run! It might even be the most!

15 hours ago, Readcomix said:

It’s me. I’m the guy. I chased Godzilla #1.
Of course, it was because I had bought #2 off the racks and was devastated that I missed the first issue. I was 10 or 11 and loved Godzilla. A couple years later, I mail-ordered a #1. I think it was north of $3. 
If there’s an argument for #1 or the whole run being undervalued, more than the new movie (though I’m sure that’s the KCC argument) it’s really the Star Wars and Scooby Doo arguments. At some point, the collective collecting psyche decided the 1st comics of these properties (Star Wars fairly recently) ought to be worth a whole lot more due to their durable, cross-generational pop culture status. Godzilla fanhood crosses generations now too; that’s his best shot at becoming a more valuable back issue title.

FWIW, the 24-issue run is a lot of fun: we got Red Ronin, the doofy monsters of Dr Demonicus, Yetrigar the giant Sasquatch (due for a return), a battle with Devil Dinosaur, a battle with the Champions, even a two-part NYC invasion that leads to a slugfest with the FF and Avengers, kind of a homage to FF 25 & 26. I still have my original run, every issue signed by Herb Trimpe. I keep saying I’ll read it one more time and sell it. I keep dragging my feet.

Scan0007.thumb.jpg.4fe16a0a27a130b1cee692935f17d6d7.jpg

I have Godzilla issues 1, 3, 4, 6, & 8 which I got off the 7-11 rack back in the day.  They are all in really nice shape (I graded them out from 8.0 - 9.0, the #1 an 8.5-- nothing crazy high grade). But just buying the rest to read them seems expensive --  and there in comes the reason I am asking you-- an expert Godzilla collector...

is there a decent TPB that covers all the Marvel Godzilla run without breaking the bank?

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

I have Godzilla issues 1, 3, 4, 6, & 8 which I got off the 7-11 rack back in the day.  They are all in really nice shape (I graded them out from 8.0 - 9.0, the #1 an 8.5-- nothing crazy high grade). But just buying the rest to read them seems expensive --  and there in comes the reason I am asking you-- an expert Godzilla collector...

is there a decent TPB that covers all the Marvel Godzilla run without breaking the bank?

Yes, there is a TPB for this. I believe it is only in b/w and can be found on ebay for $20-30. The only original comics books I kept from my childhood are Godzilla issues 1-24. Love the Marvel Godzilla run. Then again, I am a fan of anything Godzilla.

Edited by The Man Without Beer

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

I’m hardly an expert, I mostly bought them off the rack like you, but the b&w Marvel Essentials is the only compilation I know of.

My #1 is a CGC 9.0 that cost me $55 at the LCS several years ago. I've put it in sales threads a couple of times but still have it... and that doesn't bother me... it's a nice old label and reminds me of many a Saturday afternoon in front of the TV. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I have quite a few issues but don't believe I've ever read one. I think my best #1 might be a 6.0, with most being 4.0-4.5s.

Now if Shogun Warriors takes off, I am set.

I've got a copy of Shogun Warriors 1 that is so flawless it allows me to transcend reality for brief periods of time :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Yeah, I bet it would, but I couldn't think of another compilation.

Personally I love some of those Essential Compilations because you GET to see the artwork in B&W. Not sure how the Godzilla one looks, but the B&W Conan one, that collects the Barry Windsor-Smith issues, looks better than any color compilation I've ever seen. 

49 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

The Dracula Essentials are great. Gene Colan's art should always be in B&W

Agreed; I have that full run as Essentials, for reading and enjoying. Colan Dracula very different from Trimpe Godzilla. 

Apologies to the Hot Bronze purists for any brief derail; my main point in my Godzilla story is I think the title is finally having its Scooby/Star Wars moment, where cross-generational pop culture status finally equals a first comic book appearance bump. (Of course, long-time Golden Age guys can caution us that the long term can look like either Batman or Tarzan, but all three franchises are a ways off from a Tarzan fate currently.)