• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

I know it is not a Bronze Age book, but the 1.5 XMen 1 closed at $7800 tonight as well. You could buy 3.5s for less a month or two ago. 

The other Bronze XMen closed decently as well. Looks like the XMen run up continues unabated.

10 hours ago, Rip said:

Never thought Fear 11 would get caught up into this. It's always been a very tough Marvel book to find in high grade. One of the best Marvel horror covers of the 70's.

With VF- range copies getting $150, its scary what a high grade copy 9.6 and above could get now, as its always been one of the tougher Marvel books to come by in grade. 

i got an old label 9.4, paid 100 3 years ago for it. might have to get it pressed and regraded.  your right, classic adams cover and the green border tics so easily

11 hours ago, kimik said:

I know it is not a Bronze Age book, but the 1.5 XMen 1 closed at $7800 tonight as well. You could buy 3.5s for less a month or two ago. 

The other Bronze XMen closed decently as well. Looks like the XMen run up continues unabated.

9.2 with OW pages.  Is a GXM 1 9.6 at 20K book now?  Is a GXM 1 9.8 a 40K book now?  Close to 10K graded, less than 600 9.8s and 9.6s.

IMG_6886.JPEG

8 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

9.2 with OW pages.  Is a GXM 1 9.6 at 20K book now?  Is a GXM 1 9.8 a 40K book now?  Close to 10K graded, less than 600 9.8s and 9.6s.

IMG_6886.JPEG

CLink has a 9.8 up now that is at $24,500 with 2 days left, and a 9.6 at $12,874 with two days left.

25 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

IMG_6886.JPEG

🤞that your estimates are hit sometime this year.

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

IMO, the (vast?) majority of these multi-thousand dollar prices are being realized due to Investors not Collectors.

Why now though? The last several months have seen unbelievable gains. What has changed. We’ve known about X-men coming back to Marvel for a long time now. What about all the other books, Spider-Man, fantastic four, etc. 

7 minutes ago, FormerReader said:
2 hours ago, manetteska said:

IMO, the (vast?) majority of these multi-thousand dollar prices are being realized due to Investors not Collectors.

Why now though? The last several months have seen unbelievable gains. What has changed. We’ve known about X-men coming back to Marvel for a long time now. What about all the other books, Spider-Man, fantastic four, etc. 

Are you saying these are Collectors instead? Or asking for a reason on Investors?

Comics being accepted as investment collectibles, and more importantly the world being awash in free capital, are the big drivers of the price jump in comics and almost every other collectible right now. Hopefully it lasts as long as the 1988-2003 bubble did. That was a fantastic time to make :flipbait:

I was just in junior high and high school back then, but selling cards and comics to friends and other local collectors during a bubble was a fun and very lucrative learning experience.

Edited by kimik

16 hours ago, FormerReader said:
17 hours ago, manetteska said:

Are you saying these are Collectors instead? Or asking for a reason on Investors?

Asking a reason on investors as far as why now.

A lot of people are looking for answers on these dramatic increases, but I have yet to see a definitive answer. So, in that same vein, just my thoughts.

Taking GSXM 1 for example, as you said, this has been a key for a long time as well as rumored for a large film re-launch for years.

Those collectors who wanted a copy six years ago but didn't have $500 (or spent that money on another key) don't all-of-a-sudden have $5000 to buy it. 

Similar to the sports card (and non-sports card) market of late, there is big money to be made in a short turnaround. As opposed to the stock market, some invest in these entities due to nostalgia -- that is a driving factor; there is also the potential to buy a card for $1000 and turn it into $5000 much faster than any stock. Not to mention the myriad of ways to "adjust the market" in one's favor in a hobby versus a regulated market with oversight, fines, and jail time possible.

3 hours ago, JesterSB said:

Yea this has me now seriously debating about slabbing a copy or two from my run. But I seriously don't understand what's driving the crazy run up here. I believe I have a 9.2 readers copy and a 9.8 candidate. 

Just now, Rip said:

Yea this has me now seriously debating about slabbing a copy or two from my run. But I seriously don't understand what's driving the crazy run up here. I believe I have a 9.2 readers copy and a 9.8 candidate. 

Free money + movie speculation = high prices. 

The X-Men BA run has been undervalued for a long time IHMO. Now, with the potential of D+ and movies, it is popping along with FF. They are the two big franchises that have not been given the MCU and D+ treatment yet due to being at Fox.