• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, divad said:

Not in HG . . . don't make me pull mine out! :banana:

sure, maybe the thousands of warehouse copies were not lovingly stored so as to remain 9.8s

17 hours ago, the blob said:

I don't get it. On the other hand, from a purely money grubbing perspective, it isn't like your rampaging hulks don't sell for a chunk more than your regular generic late 70s hulks, but they are like a billion times better. I really feel like this would be better than a $15-20 book if it was hulk 207 or something: Image 1 - THE-RAMPAGING-HULK-9-SOLID-GRADE-MAGAZINE-CLASSIC-NOREM-COVER-THOR-IRON-MAN-APP

The way I plug this cover it should be considered a classic cover by now. And I only own 1 copy! I really need to start plugging covers I have a bunch of.

4 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Bronze age comics are getting out of reach, and that's bad for new collector like me....

even late bronze (early 80s) CGC9.8 already going for hundreds of dollars...

The sad thing about Bronze  9.8s, is they've all been pressed to get there - give me a unpressed, well-cut, white pages raw 9.6 all freakin' day long! :sumo:

What are the negative effects of pressed comic?

Then I'm just going to wait until the price goes down again. I'm happy with fine raw copies.

Right now price is bubbly because people don't travel, don't go restaurants as often, don't go to concerts, don't go to sports events, etc. So people have more money to spend it online. .....But once those activities are available again, the price will come back down

Edited by IronMan_Cave

So I just read past threads about pressed comics....if pressing has negative effects on comics, then why people keep doing it? ...and why CGC does't deduct points for pressed comics, or at least mark them as restored copy?

Edited by IronMan_Cave

19 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

So I just read past threads about pressed comics....if pressing has negative effects on comics, then why people keep doing it? ...and why CGC does't deduct points for pressed comics, or at least mark them as restored copy?

CGC wouldn't be able to prove that a book was flat due to a heat press or a good ol' stack of books that had been sitting on books for years. If there's damage to a book, they'll deduct for sure but they can't say in the grader notes that it was due to being a press job.

1 hour ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Isn't CCS, a pressing service, a subsidiary of CGC? 

52 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Isn't CCS, a pressing service, a subsidiary of CGC? 

Yes it is.  As for the logic as to why CGC does not deduct for pressing, they say graders can not reliably detect if it has been done, and if done correctly is does not damage the book.  Therefor, no deductions. 

9 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

What are the negative effects of pressed comic?

Then I'm just going to wait until the price goes down again. I'm happy with fine raw copies.

Right now price is bubbly because people don't travel, don't go restaurants as often, don't go to concerts, don't go to sports events, etc. So people have more money to spend it online. .....But once those activities are available again, the price will come back down

I think another factor driving all collectable prices up also has to do with the fear of inflation.  When investors grow worried about hyper inflation, which some people view as a risk with the amount of money that has been printed in the past year, they look for hard assets to buy. This is part of the reason trading cards, real estate, gold, etc. are skyrocketing.  It is not just comics. It is a way to protect against inflation, and diversify holdings. 

14 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Pressing has taken on a life of its own.  When it has becomes worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars if you can get a few grades higher, everyone thinks you have to play the game.  Flippers and dealers will view people as "stupid" for potentially giving away significant profits because they did not spend an extra $15 dollars to potentially realize an extra $500. So more and more people  play the game, I will admit to having played the game. Additionally, once you sell that book any potential damage from pressing is no longer your problem, it achieved the goal of making the book (possibly temporarily) worth more.