• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s really hard to tell what’s going on here.  This book is going to make someone pretty unhappy.

196BA8BF-07C9-4028-A6B0-9108B0C56E6F.jpeg

That does not look like scs either,  looks like a folded corner to me. Also the pages or cover looks fanned, likely a bad press job. This comic is a 9.2 or maybe a 9.4 on a good day. No clue how it got a 9.6.  I bet the owner knows it also. 

Buy the comic not just the grade people. It sold for 900, someone is going to be pissed.

Edited by drotto

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

That does not look like scs either,  looks like a folded corner to me. Also the pages or cover looks fanned, likely a bad press job. This comic is a 9.2 or maybe a 9.4 on a good day. No clue how it got a 9.6.  I bet the owner knows it also. 

Buy the comic not just the grade people. It sold for 900, someone is going to be pissed.

I was going to mention SCS, but I couldn’t see how the corner could get folded completely over.  The uneven overhang made me think of a bad press job as well. 

15 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

How is Avengers Annual 10 doing - is it still "hot"

With the ease I'm selling of lower grade copies for $35 - $40 a piece I'd call it hot.  All the copies I've been trying to sell are under 7.0s so I'm not sure of how well higher grade copies are doing.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

With the ease I'm selling of lower grade copies for $35 - $40 a piece I'd call it hot.  All the copies I've been trying to sell are under 7.0s so I'm not sure of how well higher grade copies are doing.

I got $50 for a mid grade, probably 6.0-7.0

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

I got $50 for a mid grade, probably 6.0-7.0

Sounds about right.  2.0/3.0s I can get $25 - $30.  4.0/5.0 $35 - $40 no problem.  6.0 - 7.0 gets $50 - $60.  Not sure on higher grades but I have seen some nice 9.0/9.2 going for over $100

29 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

This is the book that I put under “the one that got away - Bronze Age” 

for a long time you cold snag fairly solid copies out of the $2-3 boxes at shows, as you must remember. legend has it a dealer here in NYC bought like 5,000 copies, maybe more, thinking it would be his retirement book. my friend (who had a shop then) claims he got stuck with them and would be trying to unload them for 10 cents each at shows in the late 80s. i wasn't going to shows anymore at that point so i don't know if that is b.s.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

the last two were a tad over $3K, so why not push it another 40%?

Yeah! Why not? Everyone else is, just looking at new listing on ebay and the prices have gone insane, I'm surprised anything sells on there now. 

8 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Yeah! Why not? Everyone else is, just looking at new listing on ebay and the prices have gone insane, I'm surprised anything sells on there now. 

why bother with the jump from $3K to $4K when you can go straight to $5k?

47 minutes ago, the blob said:

for a long time you cold snag fairly solid copies out of the $2-3 boxes at shows, as you must remember. legend has it a dealer here in NYC bought like 5,000 copies, maybe more, thinking it would be his retirement book. my friend (who had a shop then) claims he got stuck with them and would be trying to unload them for 10 cents each at shows in the late 80s. i wasn't going to shows anymore at that point so i don't know if that is b.s.

with that said, at least in the 2000s, that book was a no brainer in $2-3 boxes as it was still a pretty easy sale at $10+ on ebay. but yeah, a lot of guys at shows didn't want to mess around with $7-10 books on ebay, and were fine selling them for $2-3 in person.

23 hours ago, the blob said:

I'd also add, you're not buying a comic. You are buying a slab from CGC that says 9.8 on it and a comic book inside. That's where the hundreds are going.

Outside of hot keys that sell even when raw, nearly every book you are concerned about from that era can be found for $15 for less in nice shape. Often $5 or less.

I paid about $17, which included shipping, for this. Mid-grade. Classic Neal Adams cover, 1st appearance of a minor character (that had a TV show). Money going into some books seems to mean some others are getting ignored. Yes, a cgc 9.8 will probably be over $1000, but a 9.4 is probably only $100-150.

Image 1 - ACTION-COMICS-419-Nice-DC-COMICS-1972-SUPERMAN-NEAL-ADAMS-1ST-HUMAN-TARGET

Nothing wrong with getting some nice mid-grade Adams! But I still think that despite all of its shortcomings, a CGC 9.8 label is worth every penny if you're lucky enough to get it, at least for now. 

15 minutes ago, DedalusMan said:

Nothing wrong with getting some nice mid-grade Adams! But I still think that despite all of its shortcomings, a CGC 9.8 label is worth every penny if you're lucky enough to get it, at least for now. 

My point is folks being irate over 9.8s being expensive. Once upon a time most folks didn't even call stuff better than NM.

7 hours ago, DedalusMan said:

But I still think that despite all of its shortcomings, a CGC 9.8 label is worth every penny if you're lucky enough to get it, at least for now. 

Not sure what this means exactly . . . (shrug)

7 hours ago, divad said:

Not sure what this means exactly . . . (shrug)

Don't worry about it.  He was talking to people with 9.8 books  :baiting::)

23 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Sounds about right.  2.0/3.0s I can get $25 - $30.  4.0/5.0 $35 - $40 no problem.  6.0 - 7.0 gets $50 - $60.  Not sure on higher grades but I have seen some nice 9.0/9.2 going for over $100

I sold a VG newsie for $50.00. I should have another one coming back from CGC in a couple of weeks. Hopefully in 9.8 shape. :wishluck: