• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

Surely sanity has to return at some point, is this just because folk can't spend money on anything else or go anywhere at the moment? Because things have just gotten crazy, what happens when life returns to normal?

On 3/7/2021 at 7:15 PM, OtherEric said:

Do you mean first issue of the Morbius run in Fear, or first Morbius solo series at all?  Because his run in Vampire Tales started before the Fear run.  Although he wasn't on the first two covers (other than holding the brand emblem), which may drive down the demand.

lol  you forget-Fear #20 begins the first comic book run, Vampire Tales is a magazine so it doesn't count. :) (just kidding) 

12 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

X-men 94 prices  are getting a bit crazy similar to the start of GSX-1's run. 

7.0 just sold for $1200 and a bunch are getting wiped off the market, so if you want a copy, try to buy it sooner then later...

EDIT: 8.0 sold for $1850

I know a few friends who have had it on their want list for a while, and I've recommended that they try to buy it soon.  I have a feeling prices could start getting wild.  

Crazy for a non-first appearnce, non-iconic cover, just a new team book...

18 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

It's well warranted and undervalued.   I like X-men 94's cover much better than GSX-1's absurd  "double Cyclops" cover.  (and yes,  I own a GSX-1 and a huge X)   

1st time the new team in the Uncanny X-men series and really reboot the franchise.  Before it was just reprints of terrible X-men stories.

Back in the day before slabs, what was inside made a huge difference and this book is the 1st Chris Claremont  X-men story beginning his legendary run . 

He MADE x-men what it is today. 

This book was a top bronze key back in the day with GSX 1 and Hulk 181, and it will be back.   Everything is a cycle.

I think you are giving Claremont to much credit. The book was bi-monthly until Byrne took over the art. It actually went monthly the same month that Byrne started doing the cover art on #113. This coincides with the shift from Cockrums focus on his favorite character Night Crawler to Byrne and his favorite Wolverine. X-Men 94 is a glorified Avengers 16.

5 hours ago, fett said:

lol  you forget-Fear #20 begins the first comic book run, Vampire Tales is a magazine so it doesn't count. :) (just kidding) 

Actually, for a lot of collectors, that's an accurate statement.  I don't understand the mindset in the slightest, but it's definitely real.  For another example, I don't think Hulk #271 would be nearly as high as it is if Marvel Preview #7 had been a comic rather than a magazine.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

if Marvel Preview #7 had been a comic rather than a magazine.

For what it's worth, last time I checked the first appearance in a comic book ever, especially a popular, long-lasting series, is a thing, you know?   And IH271 is not that expensive.  

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:
6 hours ago, fett said:

Actually, for a lot of collectors, that's an accurate statement.  I don't understand the mindset in the slightest, but it's definitely real.  For another example, I don't think Hulk #271 would be nearly as high as it is if Marvel Preview #7 had been a comic rather than a magazine.

I don't get it either. A comic magazine is simply a comic book in larger form. Additionally, comic books were routinely referred to as magazines for decades. Sometimes, right on the cover of the comic. It's two formats of the same thing. 

25 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I don't get it either. A comic magazine is simply a comic book in larger form. Additionally, comic books were routinely referred to as magazines for decades. Sometimes, right on the cover of the comic. It's two formats of the same thing. 

it is all about storage. these are collectors, they want to store things and they do not want to be bothered with odd sizes (KI know magazines are not odd, but anything other than comic book size fits this post definition)

I said it recently, BWS Storyteller got push back due to the size only; people, sellers and buyers, were put off by the larger format. That alone killed that series.

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

It's well warranted and undervalued.   I like X-men 94's cover much better than GSX-1's absurd  "double Cyclops" cover.  (and yes,  I own a GSX-1 and a huge X)   

1st time the new team in the Uncanny X-men series and really reboot the franchise.  Before it was just reprints of terrible X-men stories.

Back in the day before slabs, what was inside made a huge difference and this book is the 1st Chris Claremont  X-men story beginning his legendary run . 

He MADE x-men what it is today. 

This book was a top bronze key back in the day with GSX 1 and Hulk 181, and it will be back.   Everything is a cycle.

So a new team? Cool. That's been done 100 times (at least) in that title. New writer? Neat. It's a book (like GL 76 but at least that's an iconic cover) that was pumped up for years in OSPG and has just become a part of the narrative that it matters. It can change hands as much as it likes to older collectors, but there are no younger (I'm 48) collectors that care about this book unless you are building an X-run and need it to fill the hole. I know I'm preaching to the wrong pew here, but it's just a book I've never liked. 

24 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So a new team? Cool. That's been done 100 times (at least) in that title. New writer? Neat. It's a book (like GL 76 but at least that's an iconic cover) that was pumped up for years in OSPG and has just become a part of the narrative that it matters. It can change hands as much as it likes to older collectors, but there are no younger (I'm 48) collectors that care about this book unless you are building an X-run and need it to fill the hole. I know I'm preaching to the wrong pew here, but it's just a book I've never liked. 

To each their own.

GS X-men 1 is such a bigger key than X-94, it's not really even close. Can you imagine the prices of the 1st appearances of Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Storm had they occurred in 3 separate titles? X-men 94 is a great book, but there are no 1st appearances and it's not even the 1st time all those characters united to form a team. It's over-rated, and over-valued.