• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Well my photo is actually from Wizard.

Wizard was usually higher for new stuff, Overstreet higher for old, not sure who was higher for bronze. I have an Overstreet magazine from late 1994, I will check that. That magazine does list NM 98 for $12 and breaks it out as 1st Deadpool, sort of debunking the notion that NM 98 was just part of the Liefield run and nobody cared about it. $12 was real money then.

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

Wizard was usually higher for new stuff, Overstreet higher for old, not sure who was higher for bronze. I have an Overstreet magazine from late 1994, I will check that. That magazine does list NM 98 for $12 and breaks it out as 1st Deadpool, sort of debunking the notion that NM 98 was just part of the Liefield run and nobody cared about it. $12 was real money then.

Yes,  I'd be curious to see what Overstreet says about the prices...

40 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Interesting so at least 119,231.  

Those reflected the circulation for reprint issues. You'd have to think with new material folks would have been interested and there would have been fewer returns. But seriously, they were reprinting later issues of x-men that might have been in 25 or 50 cent boxes. Existing as a reprint title made no sense 

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Those reflected the circulation for reprint issues. You'd have to think with new material folks would have been interested and there would have been fewer returns. But seriously, they were reprinting later issues of x-men that might have been in 25 or 50 cent boxes. Existing as a reprint title made no sense 

So when  it says Circulation Statement: 119231 what does it mean?

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

In that time period, it made perfect sense. You talk bout 25 cent boxes as if they were commonplace. For 90% of readers, if they got to one convention a year they were lucky. In 1975, there were two comic shops on Long Island, as I recall. Back issues were hard to find and the demand for these books was strong.  At least half the books I bought were reprints. 

Marvel owned the product, all they needed was a new cover and someone to edit the stories a bit. Marvel Tales, Double Feature, Super-Action, Marvels Greatest Comics, and a half dozen  more titles were solid enough and took up valuable shelf space. Marvel/Cadence made pennies per book sold so volume was key.

Not to mention the irony of Marvel publishing more books each month featuring Kirby than they did when he actually worked there.

The X-Men had a bit of a cult following and had recently been guest stars in a few books, but economics said if might be more profitable to keep it in reprints. 

22 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

So when  it says Circulation Statement: 119231 what does it mean?

Circulation Statements were filed once a year, so they are using the most current one to estimate sales.  It's kind of worthless, imo. 

The avg. circulation the year before was 119,231 

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

In that time period, it made perfect sense. You talk bout 25 cent boxes as if they were commonplace. For 90% of readers, if they got to one convention a year they were lucky. In 1975, there were two comic shops on Long Island, as I recall. Back issues were hard to find and the demand for these books was strong.  At least half the books I bought were reprints. 

Marvel owned the product, all they needed was a new cover and someone to edit the stories a bit. Marvel Tales, Double Feature, Super-Action, Marvels Greatest Comics, and a half dozen  more titles were solid enough and took up valuable shelf space. Marvel/Cadence made pennies per book sold so volume was key.

Not to mention the irony of Marvel publishing more books each month featuring Kirby than they did when he actually worked there.

The X-Men had a bit of a cult following and had recently been guest stars in a few books, but economics said if might be more profitable to keep it in reprints. 

I suppose. I had comic shops around me with 10 and 25 cent boxes in the mid 70s, but I was in NYC. I just figured junky 10 year old books then could be found in junk shops and places like that. My area had a ton of used book stores, but that was NYC, not the real world. This stuff cost very little at shows (beater mid 60s marvels -- I went to my first show at 5 and $15 got me a huge pile of mostly 60s books), but shows were a city thing I suppose.