• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

XM129(9.6w) DIRECT sold for $1750 (BIN) on eBay.

Untitledxm12996.thumb.jpg.8c0b06ac8d2570ba0fe1e50af0e341d2.jpg

Sold my under-copy XM129(9.6w) UPC on eBay for $150 (2004).

I still have a XM129(9.8w) DIRECT & XM129(9.6w) UPC.

:whatthe: I actually saw the $1750 listing last night and had a chuckle to myself thinking, this guy is out of his swede if he thinks he is selling it for that, what do I know? Fair play to the seller but the buyer must be :censored: desperate:insane:

4 hours ago, the blob said:

My extremely dim recollection is that my older brother was pretty happy to get an X-Men 94 at our first show in 1977. He wound up selling it for weed money a few years later. 

I know that that was the fate of a lot of pretty nice comic, video game, and metal album collections in the late 90's in my circle.  :boo:

1 hour ago, batmiesta said:

:whatthe: I actually saw the $1750 listing last night and had a chuckle to myself thinking, this guy is out of his swede if he thinks he is selling it for that, what do I know? Fair play to the seller but the buyer must be :censored: desperate:insane:

Crazy.

I am a bit out of the loop on the convo only reading back a few pages, but X94 was generally more expensive than GSX1 because of difficulty to find in NM or better, with a nice wrap, and white pages Back in 2009 or 2010 when I purchased both of them, I paid nearly $800 or $900 more for the 94 as it was much more difficult to find in CGC 9.4 than the GSX1. Once pressing became more mainstream, that changed the tide to GSX1.

Most current census:

X-Men #94 CGC 9.4 263

Giant Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.4 547

Now there are more collectors who collect keys, than collecting runs, which has hurt the 94 value.

Edited by maraxusofkeld

This raw Cerebus 1 copy finally showed up on the market and was sold within a day by best offer for $4000.  Seems like a deal  since last the sale was a Slabbed  8.0 that almost hit 1k a point.

Still no other copies on the market after every copy  was wiped off a ebay  few months ago.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cerebus-the-Aardvark-Dave-Sim-1-Major-Key-Issue-Low-print-Run-Rare-VF-VF/265089747151?hash=item3db89488cf:g:ctQAAOSwQuFgT~AQ

Edited by Wolverinex

Wow - this craziness has made me rethink some of the books I've got in the hold pile.  I picked up a very nice Rom 1 for $200 a couple years ago and now I see it going for over $400.  I wanted to hold it until something developed but at that price it may be up for grabs this weekend.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

This raw Cerebus 1 copy finally showed up on the market and was sold within a day by best offer for $4000.  Seems like a deal  since last the sale was a Slabbed  8.0 that almost hit 1k a point.

Still no other copies on the market after every copy  was wiped off a ebay  few months ago.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cerebus-the-Aardvark-Dave-Sim-1-Major-Key-Issue-Low-print-Run-Rare-VF-VF/265089747151?hash=item3db89488cf:g:ctQAAOSwQuFgT~AQ

I know a dealer who sold a raw counterfeit copy for $425 the other day. 

I am not pretending this raw outlier sale is indicative of anything: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-162-NM-NM-UNREAD-ORIGINAL-OWNER-COLLECTION-CGC-THIS-/402713821522?hash=item5dc39d4152%3Ag%3AatAAAOSwwkhgOCS5&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

43rd appearance of Sharon Carter heating up? 

1st time Cap learns Peggy Carter's rea name and that she is related to Sharon?

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I am not pretending this raw outlier sale is indicative of anything: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-162-NM-NM-UNREAD-ORIGINAL-OWNER-COLLECTION-CGC-THIS-/402713821522?hash=item5dc39d4152%3Ag%3AatAAAOSwwkhgOCS5&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

43rd appearance of Sharon Carter heating up? 

1st time Cap learns Peggy Carter's rea name and that she is related to Sharon?

Relates to the particular seller, and his "bricks" of brand new warehouse comics he got and has been selling.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - this craziness has made me rethink some of the books I've got in the hold pile.  I picked up a very nice Rom 1 for $200 a couple years ago and now I see it going for over $400.  I wanted to hold it until something developed but at that price it may be up for grabs this weekend.

Sell it.  Our sports cards buyers are here!   Everything is cheap compared to a Mike Jordan PSA 10. 

Edited by Wolverinex

21 minutes ago, grebal said:

Relates to the particular seller, and his "bricks" of brand new warehouse comics he got and has been selling.

Yeah, but it really needs to be a 9.8 for this to work. a 9.4 loses money and a 9.6 may only be break even or even lose too.

1 hour ago, DedalusMan said:

Star Wars 2 in 9.8 recently went for $4,500 on eBay! Wasn't this a $500 book at best just a year ago?

YES.  Higher prices are nice for the hobby, but why must they be so irrational?  Prior to the recent storm, a 9.8 regular cent SW2 has NEVER gone for more than even a 3.5 SW2 35-cent version, and now it's going for DOUBLE the May 2020 price of a SW2 35-cent version in grade 9.2!    Yes, you read that right.  This tells me that a lot of the buying activity this past year has been by deep pockets new to the comic book hobby--in other words, with little knowledge of comic books.  They are grabbing key books while remaining oblivious to their rarer counterparts, here the price variants.   Wonder if it would make a difference if they knew that the 35-cent versions of SW1 and SW2 have long been among the top ten or so Bronze Age keys, not the regular cent SW1 or SW2, which were never even in the top 50 before this storm.  Any version of SW#2 is cool, of course, but scarce is scarce!

This means that Star Wars 35-cent variants (actually, any 35-cent variants, and even Canadian/UK/Australian price variants for that matter) are very undervalued for now, until they too get sucked into the storm.  That assumes the buyers eventually do their homework.  A big if!  

Edited by Pantodude