• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Only way to ensure the price goes up tomorrow is by selling your copy today.

I accepted an off that was the same as someone else's BIN for a similar copy, so it seemed ok. i have more copies.

14 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

I usually try to keep it positive, and there have been 100+ threads about the current wild market, but there must be serious manipulation with X-Men 94! I know books have doubled and tripled, with every sale on many books being higher than the last, but these recent numbers on 94 are INSANE. This is coming from someone who has a 7.0 hanging on their wall in the office. I suppose those who can't get a GSX are now "splurging" for a 94, but c'mon! 

After going up to $600+ in January, then nearly doubling to $1100+ ("expected" crazy double prices we've seen in March) and now it nearly doubles again? C'mon! This market is bananas lol 

In between January and now, Marvel Studios announced The Mutants. So no, not manipulation.

16 hours ago, the blob said:

anyone see any potential with cap 180 / Nomad? Getting $25 or or $30 for a well read copy right now is awfully tempting.

Nomad was trademarked by Marvel Studios last year.

Lot of talk about recent bronze age prices, movie announcements and "is there manipulation?".  The answer to the last question is "yes, there is always some manipulation".  And yes, properties being put into high budget shows and tv series raises awareness and interest in those titles. 

But, the other factor I don't see being discussed here are the age of these books.  I realize bronze age were produced in larger numbers but high grade copies aren't exactly common either.  The fact is some of these key first appearances and other issues are now hitting 40 years old or more.  Wasn't there a similar acceleration of prices when GA books hit 30-40 (think the ramp up in prices during the 80s or SA (mid to late 90s prices)?  So maybe it is happening with BA too and it just took a little longer to arrive.  The higher print runs are probably more than offset by higher number of collectors both in the US and internationally.  I feel many of the BA keys are much safer bets than a lot of the modern keys that are abundant in CGC 9.8.

Thoughts?

47 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

In between January and now, Marvel Studios announced The Mutants. So no, not manipulation.

just seems like TV/movies, too many captain amrica types is confusing as heck. are they going to have old man steve rogers running around as nomad? as we see from isiah bradley (who might be 10 years younger than steve, true) is that the super soldier serum keeps you in pretty good shape for an old guy (just like in the comics). yes, i know they are acting like he is dead, but i didn't see any open casket and there is no reason why the 60something year old looking guy we saw in endgame should be dead. 

42 minutes ago, mcduckz said:

Lot of talk about recent bronze age prices, movie announcements and "is there manipulation?".  The answer to the last question is "yes, there is always some manipulation".  And yes, properties being put into high budget shows and tv series raises awareness and interest in those titles. 

But, the other factor I don't see being discussed here are the age of these books.  I realize bronze age were produced in larger numbers but high grade copies aren't exactly common either.  The fact is some of these key first appearances and other issues are now hitting 40 years old or more.  Wasn't there a similar acceleration of prices when GA books hit 30-40 (think the ramp up in prices during the 80s or SA (mid to late 90s prices)?  So maybe it is happening with BA too and it just took a little longer to arrive.  The higher print runs are probably more than offset by higher number of collectors both in the US and internationally.  I feel many of the BA keys are much safer bets than a lot of the modern keys that are abundant in CGC 9.8.

Thoughts?

it is  not about print runs, but people keeping the books as collectibles, which started a bit in the 60s, but by the 70s practically every kid buying comics viewed them as a potential collectible. that doesn't mean we kept them in great shape ... i didn't even see a backing board until the 80s. Action comics was like a $10,000 book. a big deal! the golden age books were pulped during WW II and tossed out afterward. 99.999999% of folks viewed them as thing to be thrown out, disposable entertainment. I think the Ducks books might have been kept more as maybe they were viewed as children's books that should be passed down and read by child after child in a family. and yeah, subsequent books were kept and kept in high grade

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

just seems like TV/movies, too many captain amrica types is confusing as heck. are they going to have old man steve rogers running around as nomad? as we see from isiah bradley (who might be 10 years younger than steve, true) is that the super soldier serum keeps you in pretty good shape for an old guy (just like in the comics). yes, i know they are acting like he is dead, but i didn't see any open casket and there is no reason why the 60something year old looking guy we saw in endgame should be dead. 

I agree and so do the people that I know have / had a Cap #180. It appears as though they are doing something with him. It is not apparent when.

Just now, ygogolak said:

I agree and so do the people that I know have / had a Cap #180. It appears as though they are doing something with him. It is not apparent when.

of course, 180 is basically the first appearance of the nomad costume and name, i guess he is steve rogers after a short retirement, and then jack munroe takes over later, but jack munroe was introduced earlier

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

it is a nice book, but are newsstands from 1981 really selling for a premium? most of my books from 1981 are newsstands

From what I have seen, yes. But others could chime in...

Just now, Jeffro. said:

A good question. I think some people have "newsstand mania" without really understanding what that means in terms of the supply of newsies vs direct as it relates to the year the comic was published.

True... personally I just hate that Spider-man face at the lower left corner (too distracting from the cover image).

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:

A good question. I think some people have "newsstand mania" without really understanding what that means in terms of the supply of newsies vs direct as it relates to the year the comic was published.

yup. it does seem that directs do outnumber newsstands on this book in terms of cgc ebay listings. this was a spec book, so it makes sense if dealers/shops bought thousands of extras, but we have seen this is not the case for books like thor 337 and ASM 252, which have lots of newsies

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I'm aware of The Mutants/movie connection, but I had to mention it not just due to the doubling that occurred with many silver/bronze keys with announcements, etc., but the recent doubling that occurred again. Technically, if it's a $2000-$2500 book, then it nearly quadrupled from January. Stranger things have happened, and there's of course some manipulation present as mentioned above, but it's wild. One could argue that it was undervalued, along with many other keys that have recently taken off, or that people are trying to get some grip on the new team since GSX is becoming out of reach for many young collectors and speculators.

I'm enjoying the ride, and I think those that have loved the books for years and are in it for the long haul have been flabbergasted by these numbers. This one for me is wild. 

11 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Entire run from xmen 94 to modern. 

$6000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274749522276

That’s a great deal considering they all grade from A to C! (thumbsu

Edit: on a serious note, looking at the seller’s other listings, the collection looks well maintained, I wonder if it was a burglary or a death in the family situation...

Edited by iggy