• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2021 at 7:42 PM, the blob said:

this was a couple of days, and the 700s were up from 500s  few days before that. folks knew a movie was coming.

anyway, is millie bobbie brown delightful? eiza gonzalez is a stunner.

Late on this but the spec cycle has a couple waves...

The initial announcement sets the new price FLOOR, not ceiling. Then the trailers cause another boost provided they're not terrible. Finally, if the project is successful, the release will cause another boost but this is a gamble. A bad movie can kill values too(See: X-Men #101 after the Phoenix movie and X-Factor #6 after the underwhelming Apocalypse feature).

So as crazy as it seems we haven't necessarily seen the peak of say, ASM #300 or ASM #361. If Venom 2 is more well-received than Venom 1 those books will keep rising as crazy as that sounds. Just imagine millions of people see the movie and even half of a percentage of them decide they want a copy of ASM 300 or ASM 361 after seeing the movie... that's a TON of new buyers even though those aren't uncommon books. That's basically the same thing we saw with WandaVision, what we're seeing with Godzilla, and what we will see with Loki and this fall's comic movies IF THEY'RE GOOD. Last caveat carries lots of risk for speculators :devil:

23 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Late on this but the spec cycle has a couple waves...

The initial announcement sets the new price FLOOR, not ceiling. Then the trailers cause another boost provided they're not terrible. Finally, if the project is successful, the release will cause another boost but this is a gamble. A bad movie can kill values too(See: X-Men #101 after the Phoenix movie and X-Factor #6 after the underwhelming Apocalypse feature).

So as crazy as it seems we haven't necessarily seen the peak of say, ASM #300 or ASM #361. If Venom 2 is more well-received than Venom 1 those books will keep rising as crazy as that sounds. Just imagine millions of people see the movie and even half of a percentage of them decide they want a copy of ASM 300 or ASM 361 after seeing the movie... that's a TON of new buyers even though those aren't uncommon books. That's basically the same thing we saw with WandaVision, what we're seeing with Godzilla, and what we will see with Loki and this fall's comic movies IF THEY'RE GOOD. Last caveat carries lots of risk for speculators :devil:

yup. I sold my 1st winter soldier before the winter soldier movie. I figured that was when I should grab my cash. Should have waited.

Thanks. I guess I'm having trouble seeing Pip bring anything unique to the table after Rocket.  They'd have to cast a seriously charismatic actor, I think.  Warwick Davis could have some fun with the part, I suspect.

No idea why because there's been no special updates to justify it that I know of, but it seems Shazam 28, 1st Bronze Age Black Adam has suddenly gone on a big jump. Just honestly no clue why. I mean yes the movie is around the corner, but just don't understand why suddenly now it would go up like this. Unless youtubers like ComicTom have put out videos promoting it that I don't know of, pushing the machine forward aka, people buying up copies.

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No idea why because there's been no special updates to justify it that I know of, but it seems Shazam 28, 1st Bronze Age Black Adam has suddenly gone on a big jump. Just honestly no clue why. I mean yes the movie is around the corner, but just don't understand why suddenly now it would go up like this. Unless youtubers like ComicTom have put out videos promoting it that I don't know of, pushing the machine forward aka, people buying up copies.

At the price the last 9.8 sold, you could buy a fairly nice copy of Marvel Family 1 lol

5 minutes ago, dikran1 said:

At the price the last 9.8 sold, you could buy a fairly nice copy of Marvel Family 1 lol

Yeah I'm not sure what the last 9.8 went for because it wasn't during what I'm talking about is happening right now. Personally I'd rather have the nice MF 1 then Shazam 28 in a 9.8 haha. But yeah I mean just to give an example, a 9.6 was stuck at $830 best offer for a while on ebay and suddenly that was bought up at the ask price. Since that sale about two weeks ago or so, two 9.6's have sold for $1300 and $1500. So just insane!

5 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I'm not sure what the last 9.8 went for because it wasn't during what I'm talking about is happening right now. Personally I'd rather have the nice MF 1 then Shazam 28 in a 9.8 haha. But yeah I mean just to give an example, a 9.6 was stuck at $830 best offer for a while on ebay and suddenly that was bought up at the ask price. Since that sale about two weeks ago or so, two 9.6's have sold for $1300 and $1500. So just insane!

It's the new trend, once a big sale is finalized and recorded on GPA, all lower grades that were BIN on eBay get repriced almost instantly.

The last sale of the 9.8 was 5900$ (!!!!) just about 2 weeks ago, so I'm sure that's what sparked the repricing.

Just now, dikran1 said:

I was just about to say, Marvel Family #1 isn't getting the same treatment. Or maybe it has/is and we just don't know it yet. Only sales this year are a couple 0.5's for $2K & $2.5K. That's a strong per point price, but 0.5's aren't the best comps either. It's tough with scarce books because there are so few comps. I'd say it was on average a $1K/point book coming into the recent hysteria...where it is now? Who knows...but the next hammer of a good comp is going to set the market.

5 minutes ago, MisterX said:

Thanks. I guess I'm having trouble seeing Pip bring anything unique to the table after Rocket.  They'd have to cast a seriously charismatic actor, I think.  Warwick Davis could have some fun with the part, I suspect.

no. davis is way too small and he moves like an old man last I looked. dinklage is actually pretty athletic and moves well, despite being the same age as davis. he looks the part, but if he has a cameo in eternals it seems highly unlikely they got dinklage in under the radaar. maybe martin klebba, he is athletic too. interestingly, all three of those guys are 51. Dinklage is such a good actor. 

11 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

those prices hardly seem insane for a BA book that has not been that easy to find compared to so much other insanity out there. nyx 3 is approaching $2K in 9.8. spawn 174 in 9.8 is over $1100. x-men 244. 282. the madness....

1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:

I was just about to say, Marvel Family #1 isn't getting the same treatment. Or maybe it has/is and we just don't know it yet. Only sales this year are a couple 0.5's for $2K & $2.5K. That's a strong per point price, but 0.5's aren't the best comps either. It's tough with scarce books because there are so few comps. I'd say it was on average a $1K/point book coming into the recent hysteria...where it is now? Who knows...but the next hammer of a good comp is going to set the market.

Metropolis had a strong price of 9k on a 6.5 not too long ago. It's definitely not a book that comes up for sale often, thus why mortals, like myself, flock to Shazam 28.

12 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Which comic Iron Man 55?

yeah, i don't see starfox moving that monster much. even if thanos is out of the picture, it is first drax too

31 minutes ago, the blob said:

no. davis is way too small and he moves like an old man last I looked. dinklage is actually pretty athletic and moves well, despite being the same age as davis. he looks the part, but if he has a cameo in eternals it seems highly unlikely they got dinklage in under the radaar. maybe martin klebba, he is athletic too. interestingly, all three of those guys are 51. Dinklage is such a good actor. 

those prices hardly seem insane for a BA book that has not been that easy to find compared to so much other insanity out there. nyx 3 is approaching $2K in 9.8. spawn 174 in 9.8 is over $1100. x-men 244. 282. the madness....

No I mean I don't disagree, but it was just the timing. I feel like when this madness happens it's still generally tied to something or some kind of announcement, and I can't point to anything. But maybe not, maybe a book is just chosen these days and boop, the machine does it's thing and suddenly the rise happens lol.

22 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No I mean I don't disagree, but it was just the timing. I feel like when this madness happens it's still generally tied to something or some kind of announcement, and I can't point to anything. But maybe not, maybe a book is just chosen these days and boop, the machine does it's thing and suddenly the rise happens lol.

Pip is rumored in externals or gotg 3 I think. It was undervalued in november

11 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I was talking about Shazam 28 aka Black Adam :)

Well they did announce Dr Fate would be in it and played by Pierce Brosnan. Maybe that sparked interest? (shrug)