• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

One of these things in not like the other...

DCP 26 is the first appearance of a bunch of characters that are mainstays in the DCU. B&B54 is the first time a bunch of pre-existing characters get together with a spiffy new team name. I LOVE one of them. The other...not so much. 

They actually don’t even have the name or form a team in 54...

1 hour ago, Brock said:

That’s one of those things I never really noticed before, but I’ll never unsee now.

Yup.  A student of mine pointed that out to me four years ago and I am in the same boat.  251 has a similar flaw.

Also makes me think of the the eye dots on ASM 332.  I thought some kid marked on my copy until I noticed that every issue had it.  They're not even lined up.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

I bought my X-Men 94 in 9.0 many years ago.  I never thought that book would take off like is has.  Glad I still  have it.

Why? It is apparently harder in high grade and there are a lot more GS 1. Maybe 94 being more $ 40 years ago made sense

15 hours ago, sagii said:

But the Titans story begins in BB54. Yes, not any first appearances like X-Men 1 to GSX1, but it can be compared to BB28 and Avengers 1, so in that regard i think it's underrated.

The team-up in 54 is an obvious prelude to the formation of a team a year later in 60, but it is not comparable to any of those issues. BB28 begins with a team that is impressively well-organized considering it did not exist previously. Avengers 1 is somewhat similar to BB54 at the beginning with multiple characters being separately drawn to the same location, but diverges significantly at the end when they decide to form a team instead of just going their separate ways.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:27 PM, the blob said:

Not based on ebay slab count. As stated, it was a spec book. Many thousands extra ordered by folks here. Those would be directs. 

There you go - a "highly" accurate measure of nothing.lol

On 4/9/2021 at 1:32 AM, Catwomancomics said:

ASM 194 is climbing in high grade. 

9.8 in Jan $2400 and has now reach $3600 in April

9.6 is now $1500

9.4 is now $800

Can't understand the prices some people are willing to pay for this book and a nothing character, just my opinion before people start to lose their rag . meh

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The team-up in 54 is an obvious prelude to the formation of a team a year later in 60, but it is not comparable to any of those issues. BB28 begins with a team that is impressively well-organized considering it did not exist previously. Avengers 1 is somewhat similar to BB54 at the beginning with multiple characters being separately drawn to the same location, but diverges significantly at the end when they decide to form a team instead of just going their separate ways.

Everyone has good points as to why they don't recognize BB54 as the first official Teen Titans formation,  but 3 of the same team members from the 4 in BB60 (2nd teaming) are present in that book. Yes, they officially take the name of the Teen Titans here confirming they are a unit, but the fact that the 3 reunited and a new member joins them, is enough for me to recognize BB54 as the Titans first mission together sans a unit name.

I'll use one other example to make my point : All Star Comics 3 is the first appearance of the JSA, yes they have a team name, but they do not actually work together in this issue on a mission. And many still accept that as the first JSSA appearance.  The first 3 members  of  The Titans did work together in their first story together , even if they 'disband' at the end, they got together again, same 3 members but with a new one (4th) joining in. 

Enough to recognize BB54 as their first coming together even with out a team name 

If that doesn't cut it, I guess I'll have to join you guys on your side of the discussion :cry: