• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

You are referring to the charts again?  That milehigh info was consistent with my experience.  Anyway you know it’s a red herring, right?  Did you miss the memo about how the charts are largely irrelevant to the real issue here—whether premiums for newsstand versions of keys COULD be justified for high-grade books from the 1980s and early 1990s?  Sheesh.  

I'm pretty sure the hole just gets deeper the more you try to dig out of it, friend.

2 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I'm pretty sure the hole just gets deeper the more you try to dig out of it, friend.

What is it with you guys and newsstands anyway?  :)  It seems like a few of you have addressed this topic before. If so, how about kindly referring me to a thread or site so I can catch up? :foryou:   I happen to have “only” a direct high grade ASM300, btw.  if I shouldn’t regret missing the newsstand bandwagon, that would be nice to know!  

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:
1 hour ago, bluehorseshoe said:

What is it with you guys and newsstands anyway?  :flamed: It seems like a few of you have addressed this topic before. If so, how about kindly referring me to a thread or site so I can catch up? :foryou:   I happen to have “only” a direct high grade ASM300, btw.  if I shouldn’t regret missing the newsstand bandwagon, that would be nice to know!  

Well, we can talk about how it's tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY to pay a premium for a comic book when the only thing different is a bar code versus an image? I mean when you get right down to it, it's pretty silly. It's the same damn comic book.

Edited by Jeffro.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Well, we can talk about how it's tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY to pay a premium for a comic book when the only thing different is a bar code versus an image? I mean when you get right down to it, it's pretty silly. It's the same damn comic book.

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that you, lazyboy, and the others ("you guys") being smug about this topic boils down to you guys simply not agreeing that a printing variation of a comic book warrants a premium?   Come on, man.  Different strokes for different folks, and many folks around here dig that stuff.  Various threads attest to that.  I too see the appeal, coming from different hobbies before embracing this one.  It sounds like you guys have never collected in other hobbies like stamps, coins, currency, each of which have LONG pre-existed the comic book hobby.  In those other hobbies, seemingly minor printing-related distinctions between specimens are not only separately catalogued, but REGULARY fetch huge premiums based on the issue.  So at a minimum, nothing "silly" about premiums for newsstands, if they are in fact less common than direct in a given (most importantly "high") grade.  Just sayin.       

Edited by Pantodude
emphasis added

16 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that you, lazyboy, and the others ("you guys") being smug about this topic boils down to you guys simply not agreeing that a printing variation of a comic book warrants a premium?   Come on, man.  Different strokes for different folks, and many folks around here dig that stuff.  Various threads attest to that.  I too see the appeal, coming from different hobbies before embracing this one.  It sounds like you guys have never collected in other hobbies like stamps, coins, currency, each of which have LONG pre-existed the comic book hobby.  In those other hobbies, seemingly minor printing-related distinctions between specimens are not only separately catalogued, but REGULARY fetch huge premiums based on the issue.  So at a minimum, nothing "silly" about premiums for newsstands, if they are in fact less common than direct in a given (most importantly "high") grade.  Just sayin.       

You make a lot of assumptions. If you want to call me smug go for it. I'm not sure how I'll get to sleep tonight knowing that an internet stranger thinks I'm smug. I'm a bit concerned about it. Maybe I'll need a sleeping pill.

But to actually answer you I like variants. I collect some variants. I don't pay a premium for them. That's just my decision. My reason for calling it silly is because I remember a time when the idea of paying a premium for a barcode vs an image on a copper comic cover was unheard of. Now it's all the rage apparently. I remember a time when DC comics with a Whitman logo were considered garbage reprints. Now, people will pay silly money for a Superman comic that has a " V " on the cover to denote a fifth print. That's truly bizarre. Remember when people only cared about 1st prints? I do. 

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

ASM 252 and 300 continue to be on fire in high grade, particularly newsstand versions, btw.  

Yes, you're right, people are gullible insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. The same fools are overpaying for ASM 361 Newsstands (probably fugly, diagonally-miswrapped copies :sick:) because they don't know anything but hype.

There is nothing rare about ASM 252 Newsstands in any (real - not talking about 9.9 or 10 here) grade.

11 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, you're right, people are gullible insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. The same fools are overpaying for ASM 361 Newsstands (probably fugly, diagonally-miswrapped copies :sick:) because they don't know anything but hype.

No, no, no, it's not hype it's different strokes. C'mon man! Don't hassle variant collectors, man. 

By the way, no one cared about comics containing mark jewelers or national diamond inserts until some hucksters started hyping them up in an attempt to squeeze even more money out of collectors. :eyeroll: 

I'm amazed that pence copies haven't suddenly become the latest variant hype frenzy.  

Edited by Jeffro.

38 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I'm amazed that pence copies haven't suddenly become the latest variant hype frenzy.  

If ever you needed proof that “the market” is insane, this is it. Why Canadian price variants command a premium but UK ones don’t is practically the textbook definition of market irrationality.

3 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

You make a lot of assumptions. If you want to call me smug go for it. I'm not sure how I'll get to sleep tonight knowing that an internet stranger thinks I'm smug. I'm a bit concerned about it. Maybe I'll need a sleeping pill.

But to actually answer you I like variants. I collect some variants. I don't pay a premium for them. That's just my decision. My reason for calling it silly is because I remember a time when the idea of paying a premium for a barcode vs an image on a copper comic cover was unheard of. Now it's all the rage apparently. I remember a time when DC comics with a Whitman logo were considered garbage reprints. Now, people will pay silly money for a Superman comic that has a " V " on the cover to denote a fifth print. That's truly bizarre. Remember when people only cared about 1st prints? I do. 

Virtually the entire premise of our hobby is “I remember a time when no one cared about X.” The fact that no one cared then is why it’s valuable now.

2 hours ago, Brock said:

If ever you needed proof that “the market” is insane, this is it. Why Canadian price variants command a premium but UK ones don’t is practically the textbook definition of market irrationality.

It’s not irrational. It’s just that rationality isn’t instant. For understandable reasons it’s taking people longer to recognize UK variants, that’s all. But it IS happening!

19 minutes ago, JTLarsen said:

Virtually the entire premise of our hobby is “I remember a time when no one cared about X.” The fact that no one cared then is why it’s valuable now.

Obviously. Remember when nobody cared about Superman or Batman or Spider-Man? Well, look at their early issues now! Take that, haters!

2 hours ago, Brock said:

I've always thought it was because we have a bunch more Canadian collectors on these boards (and others) pumping the Canadian price variants, than we do guys from the UK.

Edited by boomtown