• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Flattered, but I expect few, if any, care what i am interested in.  Someone asked for help understanding relative pricing of newsstands vs directs.  After all this back and forth, still nothing that rebuts the common sense conclusion that newsstands warrant a premium for any book (typically a key) and in any grade (usually high grades because of how newsstands were sold and bought and handled and stored vs directs) for which they are less common than directs.  This is a straightforward supply/demand conclusion, because despite your apparent disdain for newsstands, there are many folks who seek them out.  If we can’t agree on that . . . .

To your point, If there really aren’t any such books, then common sense suggests a premium might not be warranted as much, if at all (absent another reason).  The earlier in the 1980 to 2000 spectrum you go, the more that should be true.  So be happy.  If you’re right, you’re right.   

So yes, it was very convenient for me to quote that, and it hopefully helps someone out there to navigate this issue.  Much better than conclusory condescension, I would hope.  At the end of the day, how about let folks spend their money how they like without calling them gullible or silly?  And smile.  :foryou: 

Well, one last attempt to break through the wall you've erected to protect your precious false conclusions from scary reality:

There are more graded 9.8 ASM 252 Newsstands visible on ebay than there are 9.8 Directs.

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

Boards were a luxury commodity in 1984 if I remember correctly, reserved for the good stuff.

I went to college 85-89 and my freshman roommate was impressed that I could put his comic in the bag/board with ease, so it is right there at 84-86 or so that they became used commonly in my experience. We both used them and came from 100 miles apart or so.

16 minutes ago, Bird said:

I went to college 85-89 and my freshman roommate was impressed that I could put his comic in the bag/board with ease, so it is right there at 84-86 or so that they became used commonly in my experience. We both used them and came from 100 miles apart or so.

I typically saw them on $5+ books around 1984. None of the cheaper stuff in the bins had them. I remember buying some overpriced and overgraded SA DD at a show then for $5 and being excited it had a board. Bags were the same $5 as now, what were boards per 100?

Edited by the blob

44 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, one last attempt to break through the wall you've erected to protect your precious false conclusions from scary reality:

"Precious false conclusions"!  lol  "scary reality"!  :roflmao: Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!   OMG, this is worth the price of admission, if there were one! 

Listen, I don't really care  whether there are in fact newsstands that warrant a premium.  I was addressing your condescension toward those who pursue newsstands.  Maybe ASM252 is a bad example.  If so, congrats if ASM252 was too early in the 1980-2000 spectrum to be less common, and/or it was a special case where the LCS types raided the newsstands so took care of those newsies, too.   But like I already said, common sense suggests no relative scarcity = no premium, so I don't know what your problem is (other than being too funny a guy).  (shrug)   But nothing changes the fact that there might be books that do warrant the premium, either b/c we are talking late 1980s/1990s when newsstands had much lower print runs or even earlier newsies that tended to be displayed/handled/stored less gently.  Do your eBay thing for ASM300 cgc 9.8, a 1988 book.   Not a single newsstand.  Thanks for suggesting the eBay search!    

So thanks for providing an easy way to show that you are WRONG, as there are clearly books (based on YOUR evidentiary tool of choice) that do warrant a premium among those folks who seek newsstands out.   Oh, and thanks for the laughs, too!    (thumbsu

Edited by Pantodude

14 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Maybe ASM252 is a bad example.

You are the one who used ASM 252 as a specific example and then decided it was a good hill to die on. (shrug)

On 4/16/2021 at 5:09 PM, Pantodude said:

If you have ever tried to buy an ASM238, ASM252, or ASM300 the past few years, the relative scarcity of the newsstands should have been obvious, too. 

On 4/16/2021 at 10:12 PM, Pantodude said:

Just wanted to clarify something.  According to the charts above, ASM238 (1983) and ASM252 (1984) were actually more numerous as newsstands than direct when printed.  But common sense suggests that the comic books sold at a newsstand, by less careful staff on damage-causing spinner racks or shelves exposed to the weather, were more likely to get beat up before they were even purchased.  And then once purchased by mom's who tucked away comics w/ groceries,  or dads who tucked away comics in their briefcases on the way home from work, or kids who tucked away comics in their backpacks on the way home from school (if they even cared to tuck them away!), the comics likely suffered additional damage before even getting home.  And then at home, even more damage while they were read/handled.

On 4/17/2021 at 9:14 AM, Pantodude said:

ASM 252 and 300 continue to be on fire in high grade, particularly newsstand versions, btw.  

16 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Ah.  But this means that ASM252, at least in the very highest grades (e.g., 9.8) could be expected to be signficantly less common compared to direct,

Not that it's the only example of a Newsstand that deserves no premium even if you believe there are that many people who actually care about the difference and aren't just blindly following hype based on fabrications and lies that they aren't able to see through because they don't know anything.

17 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Not that it's the only example of a Newsstand that deserves no premium

Your intentions might be good, but you need to work on your delivery.  Just my 2c  If there are additional newsies that you think don't warrant a premium, point them out and explain why.  Don't just condescendingly call newsstand collectors "blind," "gullible," and "silly" for caring about newsies as a genre.  Be respectful while stating your case.  Or at least keep us laughing...that goes a long way to soften the tone around here!  Enjoy your Sunday.   

P.S. edit:  If you take my friendly advice, you might want to start a new, dedicated thread.  I think we've hijacked this thread enough already!  

Edited by Pantodude

17 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Don't just condescendingly call newsstand collectors "blind," "gullible," and "silly" for caring about newsies as a genre. 

I don't. But I also realize it's no coincidence that "Newsstand collectors" barely existed before certain people started hyping them with terrible logic, false assumptions, fabrications and lies.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, JesterSB said:

It either means the 9.8 is overpriced (unlikely since 3 sold very quickly at that price), or 9.6s are underpriced, and will also disappear shortly from the supply. I had been looking for this book in 9.8 for a couple months and none were available. I snagged one ~$2400 once these sales happened.

Ah, the Reverse Rule of 25 at work again! At long last, nobody remembers the Generation X TV movie, and now this book can finally soar to the moon! Just like Kitty did in Pryde of the X-Men!!

Good call on X-Men #129, JesterSB!

40 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Your intentions might be good, but you need to work on your delivery.  Just my 2c  If there are additional newsies that you think don't warrant a premium, point them out and explain why.  Don't just condescendingly call newsstand collectors "blind," "gullible," and "silly" for caring about newsies as a genre.  Be respectful while stating your case.  Or at least keep us laughing...that goes a long way to soften the tone around here!  Enjoy your Sunday.   

P.S. edit:  If you take my friendly advice, you might want to start a new, dedicated thread.  I think we've hijacked this thread enough already!  

Yes, its boring. Each book should be analyzed individually. We've explained it before, but more obvious spec books like avengers annual 10 and probably alpha flight 1 show then more 9.8 cgc in direct correlation because shops ordered many extra on spec. 252 was at a time when spidey was a little cold so possibly shops hesitated to order extras. Not the case for 253. Possibly feeling burned on 252 they ordered more 253. Ditto thor 337 vs. 338

17 minutes ago, Plantman said:

Ah, the Reverse Rule of 25 at work again! At long last, nobody remembers the Generation X TV movie, and now this book can finally soar to the moon! Just like Kitty did in Pryde of the X-Men!!

Oh god did a 9.8 really sell for $5K last week? That can' t be legit can it?

45 minutes ago, Plantman said:

I remember my shop owner, who was usually pretty level headed and had already seen most of the 90s crash, tell me that genx 1 and conan 1 were books to speculate on because the high cover prices cut down on orders and we were now in a low print run era. Hah, he has no idea what was coming. In 1999 and 2000 he was saying the same thing about all the marvels basically. 

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I remember my shop owner, who was usually pretty level headed and had already seen most of the 90s crash, tell me that genx 1 and conan 1 were books to speculate on because the high cover prices cut down on orders and we were now in a low print run era. Hah, he has no idea what was coming. In 1999 and 2000 he was saying the same thing about all the marvels basically. 

I am guilty of buying Generation X #1 when I see it for a loonie. Maybe it and Deathmate: Black will take 35 years to get hot.

1 hour ago, JesterSB said:

Oh god did a 9.8 really sell for $5K last week? That can' t be legit can it?

These days, who knows? The asking prices for the available 9.8 copies on eBay are certainly unrealistic.

Some recent (<90 days) Bronze Age sales I'm sure I haven't touted before:

•  
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  
  •