• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,715 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

My bad. I thought it was the White paged copy.

These 2 with a 10k+ drop? :ohnoez:

1DC2BE49-6FD7-4025-9A02-961D7D46FBF6.jpeg

7C5379FD-08CF-4723-8AD9-6ED18DD1FC6B.jpeg

So folks here are getting into histrionics about a crash if one insane auction result is not followed by an equally insane result? Once upon a time we would look at nutso auctions and assume they next one would be lower because the craziest bidder already got their book. Now we are surprised that the #2 bidder doesn't want to pay more than before?

1 minute ago, the blob said:

So folks here are getting into histrionics about a crash if one insane auction result is not followed by an equally insane result? Once upon a time we would look at nutso auctions and assume they next one would be lower because the craziest bidder already got their book. Now we are surprised that the #2 bidder doesn't want to pay more than before?

We’re not in Kansas anymore....

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

We’re not in Kansas anymore....

When a house in any area doesn't sell for the next high folks don't lose their minds. I understand slabs are uniform (sort of) commodities, but folks understand that in any given week... Also, so when I decide not to try and squeeze every cent out of a booker and accept  a best offer below the last auction is am crashing the market?

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

When a house in any area doesn't sell for the next high folks don't lose their minds. I understand slabs are uniform (sort of) commodities, but folks understand that in any given week... Also, so when I decide not to try and squeeze every cent out of a booker and accept  a best offer below the last auction is am crashing the market?

You can’t compare comics to houses....:makepoint:

10 hours ago, the blob said:

It's definitely nice to see a big uptick in value, but collectors own these books because of passion for the hobby, the characters, etc.  and are probably in this for the long haul anyway.  Only speculators would panic over this kind of short-term volatility.  I picked up the nicest copy I could afford several years ago... a CGC 9.4 with white pages.  Set me back about $1K and I don't anticipate it leaving my collection anytime soon. 

On 4/30/2021 at 7:28 AM, mcduckz said:

It's definitely nice to see a big uptick in value, but collectors own these books because of passion for the hobby, the characters, etc.  and are probably in this for the long haul anyway.  Only speculators would panic over this kind of short-term volatility.  I picked up the nicest copy I could afford several years ago... a CGC 9.4 with white pages.  Set me back about $1K and I don't anticipate it leaving my collection anytime soon. 

I would say the percentage of collectors who actually don’t care about the comics themselves but rather just the value is high. Higher than “real” collectors who actually grew up with the passion and have read the stories. 
The amount of key only collectors, slab collectors and folks chasing the latest hot book is proof of that. 

3 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

I would say the percentage of collectors who actually don’t care about the comics themselves but rather just the value is high. Higher than “real” collectors who actually grew up with the passion and have read the stories. 
The amount of key only collectors, slab collectors and folks chasing the latest hot book is proof of that. 

So true, you just have to look at books that have 8th rate (never mind second rate) characters that blow up because of potential MCU hype, some people are so :censored: gullible. 

On 4/29/2021 at 12:52 PM, KirbyJack said:

Not sure I’d put it’s cover in the top 20, but you’re right.
Strange Tales 178 is, to me, the most significant Warlock comic. Starlin’s work on the character is what really put Warlock on the map. 

It's funny but I loved Warlock pre-Strange Tales, and love Jim Starlin's work but I just can't get in to his Strange Tale run. I don't think the story matches up to the art.

The issue where the head clown keeps throwing away the diamonds in order to put out more garbage totally went over my head when I read it off the newsstands. I thought it was nonsense until I later understood what Starlin was attempting.

By the time Warlock was back in his own title, I enjoyed it far better.

Edited by shadroch