• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Philflound said:

No, most collectors. If you don't believe me take a poll. When I had my store, people never came in asking for comic magazines. When I managed my friend's 3 locations, no one ever came in asking for comic magazines short of Mad.

No offense, but I'm partial to mags meself. :grin: At least the B/Ws

Edited by divad

10 hours ago, Grib said:

I really like Adams watercolor with ink over it covers. Fantastic style, free flowing yet quick. 

I never read the magazine. Is it Ghost Rider ,Morbius, man-thing and Werewolf by night?  I like the cover to the Mag but  MP #28 is a cool COMIC COVER.

2 hours ago, Philflound said:

No, most collectors. If you don't believe me take a poll. When I had my store, people never came in asking for comic magazines. When I managed my friend's 3 locations, no one ever came in asking for comic magazines short of Mad.

Which is a pity, as the magazines tend to contain sequential comic art and stories by the same artists and writers who work on standard-sized comics.  For some of us, there’s no distinction.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Philflound said:

Actually, now that I've paused to consider your evidence, I think that you mean "most retail comic purchasers" . . . :grin:

7 hours ago, Philflound said:

Stick them up on the wall and display them. People see them, they look cool, etc. Those gross horror magazines from the late 60s/early 70s sell out from every shop I see them at.

I don't understand the "size" issue. Golden age comics and early 60s gold keys are too big for a regular box, you need magazine boxes anyway. I mostly buy magazine boxes.  

9 hours ago, the blob said:

Stick them up on the wall and display them. People see them, they look cool, etc. Those gross horror magazines from the late 60s/early 70s sell out from every shop I see them at.

I don't understand the "size" issue. Golden age comics and early 60s gold keys are too big for a regular box, you need magazine boxes anyway. I mostly buy magazine boxes.  

That's because you have new boxes and the new boxes are horrible. If you're a collector for 30+ years, you'll know the old comic boxes fit Golden and larger size silver fine. They were much sturdier with thicker walls and double the area with handles. I should have mentioned that a few people did buy Savage Sword of Conan too besides Mad. But I never seemed to get a request at all over a 7 year period of being in the stores for things like Dracula Lives, Tales of the Zombie, Creepy, Eerie, or other Marvel/Warrens. I did have one customer who owned several vintage Vampirella though. If memory serves me right, I may have had some comic magazines, and my friend definitely had magazines, and they probably sold once in a while, but I can't remember ever getting requests for vintage ones at all and like I said, all our regulars seemed to buy regular sized comics for the most part. I never said there wasn't a market for comic magazines, I just said my opinion is that most collectors don't seek them.

4 hours ago, Philflound said:

That's because you have new boxes and the new boxes are horrible. If you're a collector for 30+ years, you'll know the old comic boxes fit Golden and larger size silver fine. They were much sturdier with thicker walls and double the area with handles. I should have mentioned that a few people did buy Savage Sword of Conan too besides Mad. But I never seemed to get a request at all over a 7 year period of being in the stores for things like Dracula Lives, Tales of the Zombie, Creepy, Eerie, or other Marvel/Warrens. I did have one customer who owned several vintage Vampirella though. If memory serves me right, I may have had some comic magazines, and my friend definitely had magazines, and they probably sold once in a while, but I can't remember ever getting requests for vintage ones at all and like I said, all our regulars seemed to buy regular sized comics for the most part. I never said there wasn't a market for comic magazines, I just said my opinion is that most collectors don't seek them.

I'm the exception to that rule then because I love the 70's Marvel B&W mags. Savage Tales #1 with the 1st Man-Thing is always a good get in any condition! Working on a high grade Tales Of The Zombie set (have had my reader beaters for years), one of Steve Gerber's best scripts and Pablo Marcos's art is just incredible. I found a bunch of Deadly Hands Of Kung-Fu mags at a shop last week for $2 each with Iron Fist, White Tiger and Shang-Chi, I'll take them that cheap every day because so few shops around here every have any of them. Same with Vampire Tales and Marvel Preview, some great Blade solo stories in those, not to mention the Moon Knight solo issue

But that's just me

Edited by Lonzilla

On 6/24/2017 at 6:57 PM, Philflound said:

How would one go about creating said poll? I think that would clear up a ton of issues in the hobby.

11 hours ago, joe_collector said:

Guys, the Legion of Monsters #1 magazine is a TITLE where single stories of lone monsters are featured, and there is no monster team-up of any time.

MP 28 is correctly noted as the first team-up of The Legion of Monsters.

Good info.

On 6/23/2017 at 2:39 PM, Dogsupreme said:

DAZZLER confirmed for next X-men movie. Better dig out those X-men #130's.

On 6/23/2017 at 3:29 PM, 1Cool said:

Nice!

Didn't have one person ask about mine at the con. this weekend. Did purchase a nice high grade one for $40 though.

46 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Didn't have one person ask about mine at the con. this weekend. Did purchase a nice high grade one for $40 though.

Hard to see your X-Men 130 in all the modern variant clutter.

Just now, ygogolak said:

All that sold off my wall were variants and ASM 361, ha. Gotta give the people what they want!

:flipbait:

"If you're a collector for 30+ years, you'll know the old comic boxes fit Golden and larger size silver fine."

I have boxes purchased in 1993-94 that are too narrow for those books.  Not 30+ years, sure, but whatever, 30 year old comic boxes probably need to be replaced at this point.

11 hours ago, Philflound said:

Actually the ones I have in my collection are fine. Extremely sturdy and remained so for all these years. I would gladly trade brand new boxes for used boxes with double the protection.

I don't see much of a difference between my 93/94 boxes and recent ones in terms of width or sturdiness, I stack them 4-5 high sometimes, although some long boxes are too damn short height wise..many boards pop up over the top, which is stupid and can bend stuff.  just idiotic.

6 hours ago, the blob said:

I don't see much of a difference between my 93/94 boxes and recent ones in terms of width or sturdiness, I stack them 4-5 high sometimes, although some long boxes are too damn short height wise..many boards pop up over the top, which is stupid and can bend stuff.  just idiotic.

When I first started collecting in the mid-1980s, as a teenager, I didn't have money for too many books. BY 1988, I may have had 10 long boxes in my collection, if that. It wasn't until college that I started getting money working part time. So out of my 110+ long boxes, I probably don't have more than 15 boxes that I consider as sturdy. I do agree it is idiotic that some boxes are short where the boards are taller than the lip and do bend the boards.

On 6/24/2017 at 0:47 PM, Philflound said:

I agree that though some magazines may be the true 1st appearances, most collectors don't deal with mags and buy the first comic appearances and consider that their 1st ones. I own very few magazine sized comics and don't really have a desire to purchase them based solely on size... and money of course. If I did have room to buy comic magazines, I probably would consider collecting them. Maybe some time in the far future.

I know that some people don't like the magazine format for storage reasons, but I've never heard anyone dispute their validity.  Just remind people they're the DC Vertigo of their time, the vehicle for mature content.

Storage is easy... lay them on their spines beside your row of regular comics in a long box until you have enough for a mag box.  You can easily store 4-6 in a long box that way.