• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2017 at 8:04 AM, chrisco37 said:

And when all 6 of them bid, look out! 

Poor Frank gets no respect lol.

Even though I dreaded his Bronze Age interiors, some of his earlier stuff was good - I can always see his Johnny Hazard influence on Frank Miller.

I was just checking out some of his art. Some of his paintings are cool:

59c04ef6a0d13_FrankRobbins.png.e6681a05a0572521a14545532f6945b3.png

I would have guessed Biz or Fabry!

23 hours ago, Hekla said:

Mark Hamill joke-tweeted that Star Wars 49 contained spoilers for 'The Last Jedi' movie so of course the book has exploded.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=star wars 49&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I wouldn't say it's exploded. It's been a good seller for months. Ever since the movie title was released.

2 minutes ago, Iqc23 said:

Hey guys I see Tomb of Dracula 10 is on fire. I have a cgc 9.6 with date stamp on the front cover. Does the date stamp bring down the value? 

I think some don't mind it. It might affect some people's decision to purchase it... If it's intrusive, some may be picky...as it's a 9.6 they may look at it as an investment but normally I don't think it's too bad.

I don't think it's too bad... Because I don't believe it brings down the grade. I would guess if cgc can forgive it.... ??? then i guess others can too :)

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think some don't mind it. It might affect some people's decision to purchase it... If it's intrusive, some may be picky...as it's a 9.6 they may look at it as an investment but normally I don't think it's too bad.

I don't think it's too bad... Because I don't believe it brings down the grade. I would guess if cgc can forgive it.... ??? then i guess others can too :)

Thanks for your answer. Funny I also have forever people 1 cgc 9.8 with the date stamp on the front cover. I always thought they will sell for less because of this. The date stamp isn’t intrusive on either book. 

36 minutes ago, Iqc23 said:

Thanks for your answer. Funny I also have forever people 1 cgc 9.8 with the date stamp on the front cover. I always thought they will sell for less because of this. The date stamp isn’t intrusive on either book. 

Having those two and high grade... Congrats!! 

7 hours ago, Iqc23 said:

A date stamp might keep a percentage of buyers away.  If they aren't too obtrusive, they don't keep me from buying.  It's funny, I'll buy a book with a date stamp, but will never buy a sig on the  cover of a book. 

Edited by scooter99

13 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

A date stamp might keep a percentage of buyers away.  If they aren't too obtrusive, they don't keep me from buying.  It's funny, I'll buy a book with a date stamp, but will never buy a sig on the  cover of a book. 

Yea that’s funny. Am the same way. I just bought my first ever book with a signature on the cover last week and only because it was Stan the man sig. 

On 10/15/2017 at 11:34 AM, Comicdey said:

Date stamps are history and make the book more interesting in many cases 

I agree. It lets you know exactly when that book hit the newsstands. I recently noticed one of my books had a date stamp of July 16th 1962. If it had been 9 days earlier it would have been released on the day I was born. That would have way cool.

Is it true that not all date stamps are the day that it came out though...?

It seems that I've seen random date stamps that detract from the book appeal.

I guess what I'm saying is, are date stamps usually more common the day they came out?

On 10/16/2017 at 4:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I guess what I'm saying is, are date stamps usually more common the day they came out?

Yes.

No Q.

No.

On 10/16/2017 at 4:35 PM, Comicdave said:

I agree. It lets you know exactly when that book hit the newsstands. I recently noticed one of my books had a date stamp of July 16th 1962. If it had been 9 days earlier it would have been released on the day I was born. That would have way cool.

No, not exactly. Many people collect books with date stamps = to their birthday.

3 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Hypothetically, couldn't anyone just add a date stamp to a book at any given time?  (shrug)

I suppose, but I've never heard of anyone doing this to increase value or sales.  We hear a lot about forged sigs, especially Kirby's (because anyone with a pen can do his . . . ) Provenance, by far, is the best adjudicator. For example, you buy a 4,000 book OO collection, and two or three of those books have signatures, the likelihood is that they are authentic.  You buy a single signed book on e-Bay and . . . :grin:

Edited by divad

On 10/16/2017 at 7:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I am going to guess that distribution in the 60s and 70s was imperfect and some newsstand in the middle of nowhere might not be getting, and stamping, the comics at the same time as some other places, so the date is probably not the universal date it hit the stands, just the date when it got stamped by joe at the newsstand or magazine shop or candy store or whateve

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am going to guess that distribution in the 60s and 70s was imperfect and some newsstand in the middle of nowhere might not be getting, and stamping, the comics at the same time as some other places, so the date is probably not the universal date it hit the stands, just the date when it got stamped by joe at the newsstand or magazine shop or candy store or whateve

I figured haha but had to ask, as some think it's neat or not bothersome, I was curious as to what made an attractive stamp and what made an unnatractive....

Like I bought a dollar book today from a used bookstore that had a sticker on it. It looked freshly put on so I knew it'd be easy to get off lolotherwise I wouldn't have bothered.