• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Readcomix said:

You read my mind! That is an awesome cover, but then you open it up, and....:sorry:

I concur.  A rare cover at Marvel by one of the best cover artists of the 70s, Nick Cardy ; usually, prolifically more associated with DC Comics during this Bronze Age period.

On 9/4/2017 at 10:54 AM, Iqc23 said:

This just don't belong on the second page. 

Judging by the zero newly-hot books mentioned in the past month, I would say it actually does belong off the first page.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:21 PM, spidrvacc said:

I still remember mid 2000's buying all these bronze age #1's and first app for $1 or $2  . Think i had 8  copies of that Marvel priemere #28 all VF or Mint . i literally would go to Midtown comics ( both locations) once a week during my lunch at work at  a bank  and buy all the Bronze age #1 and 1st App  for $1 or $2 .  Spend $25 a week , Had hundreds of them . Every single #1 or first app from 1970 to 85 (multiple copies)  (Think I had 15 copies of Nova # 1 and 10 copies of Rag Man #1 at one point lol) , I wanted to hold them for 20 years etc but Wound of selling all of them over the years when I needed money or was unemployed but always knew that eventually they would be triple figure books. Just could not hold on to them .  Why I say grab all the cooper 1st App books you can. in 20 years they might be triple figure books.  Yeah most say no way but I heard all the same stuff about bronze back when I was buying it.. Too many copies , out there characters like Starlord and Rocket Raccoon who no one will care about etc. 

I never saw anything like that at Midtown in the mid-2000s and I worked 3 blocks from there and waddled over a couple of times a week. You must have bought them all an hour before each time I showed up. I snagged a few things at their 40% off sales once in a while, that's about it.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:59 PM, Iqc23 said:

Nice. Am jealous. 

Kochcom used to have scads of those and they never got more than the $9.99 opening bid, mostly 8.5 - 9.2 type copies, I'd hesitate to call any I got 9.4, but maybe.  I bought as many as I could and waited and waited. They just never seemed to get hot. Ultimately I would toss them into my ebay grab bags I stopped selling about 4 years and sell them for 30-35% of OPG, which wasn't so bad, I made decent money on them and people were getting a key issue.  Should have held on!  I think I have 1 or 2 left.

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

I never saw anything like that at Midtown in the mid-2000s and I worked 3 blocks from there and waddled over a couple of times a week. You must have bought them all an hour before each time I showed up. I snagged a few things at their 40% off sales once in a while, that's about it.

I worked in Midtown until 2005 so had to be between 1999 and 2005. .  Probably wasn't literally  ever week but atleast twice a month. I would go and spend my whole lunch there. Going through as much of the back issues as I can.   And yes I probally grabbed them all lol . If there was 8 Nova"1's I would grab all 8, 5 ROM#1 , I would buy all 5 as long as they were a $1 or so. .  I was addicted back then. I literally had over 5,000 comics. All bronze . Sold most over the years.

6 hours ago, spidrvacc said:

I worked in Midtown until 2005 so had to be between 1999 and 2005. .  Probably wasn't literally  ever week but atleast twice a month. I would go and spend my whole lunch there. Going through as much of the back issues as I can.   And yes I probally grabbed them all lol . If there was 8 Nova"1's I would grab all 8, 5 ROM#1 , I would buy all 5 as long as they were a $1 or so. .  I was addicted back then. I literally had over 5,000 comics. All bronze . Sold most over the years.

You're the jerk who cleaned out all my  treasure before I got there! Truth be told I stopped buying rom 1s (dumb move) after 15.  Time machine had tons for $1.  But I would have gone after nova 1s all day had I seen them. Nowadays it  is very hard to find a deal in midtown's bins.

I was addicted to collecting every 1st app or #1 from 1969 to 85. Back then it was considered a waste to collect bronze other then keys so think I was tbhe only one. .  I literally had more then 30 Nova #1 . My favorite character after spidey.  I still remember purchasing 10 Nova #1 and 10  Ragman #1 from the back of that comic book newspaper back then,. 20 comics  for $10.  I still have 4-5 Nova #1's back at my parents house. All ragmans are gone. 

Have to add that I moved to Nj from Staten Island around that time and left working in Manhattan and continued buying all the bronze but started grabbing them all at MC Comics in old Bridge NJ. Had a ton of back issues and alot of the treasureys . Would go by once a month to grab all the cheap stuff . and Bronze #1s were still cheap back then.  Was sad when they closed.

Edited by spidrvacc

1 hour ago, batmiesta said:

Now you have to pay a premium because some Z lister character is first mentioned in a book. :facepalm:

First mention Misty knight ....... AND?  

pretty silly.  don't NM 86 and Hulk 270 mention Cable and Rocket Racoon (who had previously only been referred to as "Rocket" in his proto-form), respectively?

It only takes two

first guy "Wow look what i found, i must have this.

Second guy "Wow look what i found I must have this"

Both place ridiculous bids to cover and there you have the over-pay..... or non-paying bidder when the 'winner" figures it out.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, the blob said:

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, batmiesta said:

Now you have to pay a premium because some Z lister character is first mentioned in a book. :facepalm:

First mention Misty knight ....... AND?  

pretty silly.  don't NM 86 and Hulk 270 mention Cable and Rocket Racoon (who had previously only been referred to as "Rocket" in his proto-form), respectively?

I agree, but that's the market we live in currently. running spec sites that find a mention of a character so now its a 1st app.  Legions of followers desperate to cash in. At least they get most of their specs right there were several times when all those sites started they couldn't even get the correct characters right. The last one I remember was confusing Diamondback. 

On 9/7/2017 at 3:39 PM, ygogolak said:

90 Day is about $250 more than the last year.

Ms. Marvel #1 CGC 9.8 $1,500

Ms. Marvel #1 CGC 9.8 $1,575

Marvel 1 is about 18 months from peaking, and have seen 18 going up recently, but not sure why.  Mystique is not new at this point, and there are rumors will not be in the next X-Men movie.

I gambled on a raw #1 off eBay about 1 year ago, and paid $150. Managed to get a 9.6 on it and the average for those is about $325 to $375 right now.

On 2017-09-11 at 5:55 PM, drotto said:

Marvel 1 is about 18 months from peaking, and have seen 18 going up recently, but not sure why.  Mystique is not new at this point, and there are rumors will not be in the next X-Men movie.

I gambled on a raw #1 off eBay about 1 year ago, and paid $150. Managed to get a 9.6 on it and the average for those is about $325 to $375 right now.

2 9.8 s just sold on comiclink and comicconnect auctions for 1800 & 1900 last night

7 minutes ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

2 9.8 s just sold on comiclink and comicconnect auctions for 1800 & 1900 last night

Ms. Marvel 1's I assume.  Like I said I think they are about 18 months from peaking, not that they were not heading up.  :nyah:

Edited by drotto

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:44 PM, Ken Aldred said:

In this case, I suspect it's not just the horror character team-up, but also a frenzied bidding war between two or more fans of the stunning Frank Robbins interior artwork.

And when all 6 of them bid, look out! 

8 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

And when all 6 of them bid, look out! 

That many? :whatthe:

I didn't realise !

tumblr_n7dh9oInHN1r7yxrco3_500.gif

Edited by Ken Aldred