• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

Nothing specific, but I've been selling a ton (for me) of bronze lately.  Semi-keys (not necessarily in high grade, plenty of stuff in 6.0 - 9.0) and such mainly, but some sharp books from the early 70s too, though not CGC candidates.  

15 hours ago, the blob said:

Nothing specific, but I've been selling a ton (for me) of bronze lately.  Semi-keys (not necessarily in high grade, plenty of stuff in 6.0 - 9.0) and such mainly, but some sharp books from the early 70s too, though not CGC candidates.  

Like what?  Unless it's a semi-key book sales have slowed a bit so I'm always curious what others are selling.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Like what?  Unless it's a semi-key book sales have slowed a bit so I'm always curious what others are selling.

1st demon, nova, firestorm, spiderwoman, rom, deathlok, ..#1s like moon knight, black panther, old man logan books, 

Other than the WOlverines, I do not believe anything (all raw) was listed as better than 8.5-9.0

The bronze age books have been mostly 20-25 cent cover price in the 8.0 - 9.2 vicinity, some picture frames

Mind you, were these at my bestest feel good prices?  No, but they were folks buying multiple items, so I was more flexible.

Of course...most of this stuff I paid very little for a while ago, but as I don't stumble into collections, the likelihood of me finding them cheap enough at convention, store, garage sale, or flea market to make a decent margin again is slim.  

Edited by the blob

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

1st demon, nova, firestorm, spiderwoman, rom, deathlok, ..#1s like moon knight, black panther, old man logan books, 

Other than the WOlverines, I do not believe anything (all raw) was listed as better than 8.5-9.0

The bronze age books have been mostly 20-25 cent cover price in the 8.0 - 9.2 vicinity, some picture frames

Mind you, were these at my bestest feel good prices?  No, but they were folks buying multiple items, so I was more flexible.

Of course...most of this stuff I paid very little for a while ago, but as I don't stumble into collections, the likelihood of me finding them cheap enough at convention, store, garage sale, or flea market to make a decent margin again is slim.  

Is it a specific price range people are going after, like $25-30 books? Or a specific percentage off FMV? I have tons of those type of books in vf range that I would be happy to get 50% market.

1 minute ago, Chadwick said:

Is it a specific price range people are going after, like $25-30 books? Or a specific percentage off FMV? I have tons of those type of books in vf range that I would be happy to get 50% market.

Yes, it's more affordable stuff under $50, but then again, I don't have much more expensive stuff listed and I have nothing that's expensive (over $200).

What's "market"?  Why wouldn't you want to get FMVish?

When I price for a fixed price listing I look at the top few sales of similar books and briefly look at asking prices, but don't weigh them that much unless there is very little of the issue out there.  When I evaluate an offer I look at a larger number of sales and would like to be at least in the middle of those sales prices.  If someone is making offers on 5 or 6 books and/or they are a repeat customer, I have more wiggle room.  I love sticking 6 books in a box!

"The bronze age books have been mostly 20-25 cent cover price in the 8.0 - 9.2 vicinity, some picture frames" --- these are the non-semi keys...although at the end of the day there are still a lot of obscure first appearances that could mean something one day.  I just sold a bunch of picture frame thors, which just don't seem to command the big bucks mostly unfortunately, and they have a lot of mini-first apps in them of characters that have been in other issues, but that nobody cares about now..until they are used again for something

And Luke Cage pre-51..those have been selling

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

Yes, it's more affordable stuff under $50, but then again, I don't have much more expensive stuff listed and I have nothing that's expensive (over $200).

When I price for a fixed price listing I look at the top few sales of similar books and briefly look at asking prices, but don't weigh them that much unless there is very little of the issue out there.  When I evaluate an offer I look at a larger number of sales and would like to be at least in the middle of those sales prices.  If someone is making offers on 5 or 6 books and/or they are a repeat customer, I have more wiggle room.  I love sticking 6 books in a box!

Completely agree, I was just using FMV as a starting place for a percentage to go off of.

Edit and by FMV I mean what the book is selling for recently on ebay/gpa 

Edited by Chadwick

17 minutes ago, Chadwick said:

Back in the day I found the best way to move books like that was to make a pyramid of high to low value (saleable) books or lots to sell on ebay and start them all at .99.  The more desirable books will draw eyes to the lesser books and offering combined shipping will lead to more sales.  Rotate the higher end books from a previous month at buy-it-now and best offer listings.   Use prior sales data on ebay to insure your lots will sell.  My guess is you will get at least 50% fmv.  Can't lie though, 15 years later I'm seriously missing some of the gems I sold.

Just now, ThothAmon said:

Back in the day I found the best way to move books like that was to make a pyramid of high to low value (saleable) books or lots to sell on ebay and start them all at .99.  The more desirable books will draw eyes to the lesser books and offering combined shipping will lead to more sales.  Rotate the higher end books from a previous month at buy-it-now and best offer listings.   Use prior sales data on ebay to insure your lots will sell.  My guess is you will get at least 50% fmv.  Can't lie though, 15 years later I'm seriously missing some of the gems I sold.

Yeah, I don't know if that still works,  The desirable stuff gets bids.  I see too many decent $6-$10 books not get past the 99 cent opening bid because, I assume, the bidder wants to play it safe because of shipping costs. 

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

Yeah, I don't know if that still works,  The desirable stuff gets bids.  I see too many decent $6-$10 books not get past the 99 cent opening bid because, I assume, the bidder wants to play it safe because of shipping costs. 

If anyone wants to go the route of offering up nice non-key books on E-Bay via the $0.99 auction please send me a PM since I'll be happy to give you $1 a book and save you the E-Bay fees.  You could get lucky and get $3-$4 on a few but most you will get sniped for $1/piece.

Edited by 1Cool

23 minutes ago, the blob said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I've got a few long boxes of those type of books that I was thinking about blowing out on the boards but maybe it would be worth throwing them up on E-Bay for a few months to see what sells.

How big of a store do you have?  I'm thinking about expanding to the 1,000 listing a month store but just do not have enough time to scan/post.  1st world problems

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I've got a few long boxes of those type of books that I was thinking about blowing out on the boards but maybe it would be worth throwing them up on E-Bay for a few months to see what sells.

How big of a store do you have?  I'm thinking about expanding to the 1,000 listing a month store but just do not have enough time to scan/post.  1st world problems

I just use free listings, so depending on what extra free offer i am using, i only have 50-150 items.  I have been thinking about opening a store, but it takes me so long to get listings up.  I have looked at what you sell and it is pretty similar to what I have, except i think you have CGC books and a few higher end items.

or i thought it was your store.  maybe i'm confused.

Edited by the blob

Anyway, I'm happy to make the money and unless I am selling here my margins are pretty darn good, but given that I rarely spend more than 3 for $10 (and am usually hunting the $1-$2 boxes) I know they will not be replaced unless I just get lucky, so that's the flip side.  I may be cherry picking myself.

Edited by the blob

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I just use free listings, so depending on what extra free offer i am using, i only have 50-150 items.  I have been thinking about opening a store, but it takes me so long to get listings up.  I have looked at what you sell and it is pretty similar to what I have, except i think you have CGC books and a few higher end items.

or i thought it was your store.  maybe i'm confused.

My higher end items usually sell pretty quickly so I don't think I've got anything up on E-Bay for more then a few hundred dollars.  I think all of us are selling books like Nova 1, Marvel Spotlight 32 since they are plentiful enough that you can sometimes find them for a good deal.

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

My higher end items usually sell pretty quickly so I don't think I've got anything up on E-Bay for more then a few hundred dollars.  I think all of us are selling books like Nova 1, Marvel Spotlight 32 since they are plentiful enough that you can sometimes find them for a good deal.

Yes, you can probably stumble into them for $10-$20 with some luck (or less as part of a collection, at a yard sale or whatever) and if you sell them for FMV that is a respectable margin...I'm just stuck in the days when I'd get them for $1-$2.  Of course, that was 15-20 years ago.  I just remember buying like 25 copies of Spotlight 32 from a dealer for $2 each (which was a lot for me then) (they were probably $8-12 in guide) and he asked me why and I said I liked spiderwoman and his reaction was "nobody will ever care about that character."

Frankly, I've bought a lot of stuff over the years, not necessarily intelligently.  I need to have these $1-2 into $30-45 winners to make up for the dollar books that are worth a dollar 15 years later.

Edited by the blob

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

After just seeing and being blown away by the movie Logan. I would expect to see a bump on Hulk#181.

Logan seals the deal that Hulk #181 is the AF#15 of the bronze age. Sorry GL/GA #76 fans,but Hulk#181 is the top blue chip of the bronze age now with no other contenders.

:fear:

But if Wolverine is dead in movies and dead in comics will IH 181 be a blue chip book in a decade?

22 hours ago, 1Cool said:

But if Wolverine is dead in movies and dead in comics will IH 181 be a blue chip book in a decade?

You'd have to be awfully naive to think that Wolverine will remain dead. Few die in comics and never come back, especially major characters. He's as dead as Superman was. There is no way he'll remain dead for long. He'll be back.