• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, scooter99 said:

I don't pay attention to CVA stickers.  They shot themselves in the foot when they first came out.  Many of the books that had the sticker were miswrapped.  I don't know if they've tightened up on giving stickers, but it isn't that hard to see if a book is registered well and presents nicely.  I really believe the sky high price is due to so few examples come to market.  Tec 411 is super tough at 9.2 or better. 

Yes, this. The Fantucchio collection stands on its own, I've given up trying to put bids in as the premiums these books are commanding are too unpredictable (except that you can expect to pay well over GPA). 'Tec 411 is crazy tough in high grade anyway, but the Fantucchios are real outliers. Those CVA stickers are so irrelevant. If I put a seal of approval on Natalie Portman to tell you she is hot, does that mean I've substantiated her hotness to you or is it that she's hot and I'm just pointing out the blitheringly obvious?

On 3/18/2018 at 11:19 PM, MGsimba77 said:

It's because of the cva. Never bid on a cva (in hopes of winning) unless you're prepared to pay through the nose. I learned that the hard way. Had it been a gold sticker the price would've reached whackadoo bonkers level!

That is hilarious. They charge nearly as much as CGC, but all they're doing is looking at a book and deciding "that's a really nice looking 9.6." I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not having thought of this service.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

That is hilarious. They charge nearly as much as CGC, but all they're doing is looking at a book and deciding "that's a really nice looking 9.6." I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not having thought of this service.

Yes however the market has spoken. I didn't decide this but agree or disagree it carries a premium. Mostly a sizable premium. 

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yes however the market has spoken. I didn't decide this but agree or disagree it carries a premium. Mostly a sizable premium. 

Has the market spoken or is there an army of shadow bidders shilling up some of the books? (If you own some CVA books, wouldn't you want that?)

The thread here in January seemed to disagree. Have things changed in 2 months?

25 minutes ago, the blob said:

Has the market spoken or is there an army of shadow bidders shilling up some of the books? (If you own some CVA books, wouldn't you want that?)

The thread here in January seemed to disagree. Have things changed in 2 months?

I don't know if there's shill bidding going on? How would anyone know? Point is that they're going for higher prices. Those numbers are being recorded. Regardless of phony bidding or not the market rate is what it is. 

I wasn't keeping up with the thread in January or know if I posted in it or not. I was pointing out my thinking that the Tec 411 went for a high price due to the CVA. 

Edited by MGsimba77

2 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I don't know if there's shill bidding going on? How would anyone know? Point is that they're going for higher prices. Those numbers are being recorded. Regardless of phony bidding or not the market rate is what it is. 

I wasn't keeping up with the thread in January or know if I posted in it or not. I was pointing out in my view that the Tec 411 that was linked went for a high price due to the CVA. 

Has GPA done an analysis? Maybe it did really well because it's a really nice copy of a key book? It seems silly to me, they're not doing anything a seasoned collector can't do just looking at the book in person. But I guess if you are paying $5000 for something on line where the scans only show so much, maybe it's worth the premium.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Has GPA done an analysis? Maybe it did really well because it's a really nice copy of a key book? It seems silly to me, they're not doing anything a seasoned collector can't do just looking at the book in person. But I guess if you are paying $5000 for something on line where the scans only show so much, maybe it's worth the premium.

I think if you click the cert # next to the book it might identify the CVA designation under the key comments section. Not sure about that though. Anyways lots of them are sold on Clink.

I wish they would break down based on UPC or direct editions. That would be quite helpful!

Edited by MGsimba77

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

I would imagine the premium justification would be that not all "nice & sharp" looking copies are designated CVA. Some are rejected

6 hours ago, the blob said:

I won't speak for all CVA books, but the Tec 411 in particular sold for big $ because of the rarity of 9.6's and it was a Fantucchio book. 

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Really? I didn’t know CVA was a guaranteed premium these days...last I saw it was only guaranteed to be the butt of jokes...

What's there to joke about? They're a very serious company that basically charges a fee to grade a grade and put a little sticker over it.

They're connections to CL are all they needed to get it their pet-rock-of-an-idea off the ground!

"Wow, that's a really nice 9.6... that'll be $25 and here's your sign, er... sticker" :grin:

Genius I say!

Edited by jcjames

Keep any eye out for copies of JIMMY OLSEN #133. This is an overlooked book and hard to find in high grade. This is the first Kirby 4th world comic and under most people's radar. Still dirt cheap!JimmyOlsen133cover_sml.jpg.fb779c1459bd113e2e2663b185fb51be.jpg

Edited by Dogsupreme

2 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Keep any eye out for copies of JIMMY OLSEN #133. This is an overlooked book and hard to find in high grade. This is the first Kirby 4th world comic and under most people's radar. Still dirt cheap!

+1 on that. Most of the attention is on Darkseid's cameos and other 4th World 1st apps, this one seems pretty under-the-radar.

6 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Really? I didn’t know CVA was a guaranteed premium these days...last I saw it was only guaranteed to be the butt of jokes...

At the risk of being persistently off topic... Yes to both.

If you were ever in possession of one & put it up for sale I'm absolutely positive you'd charge just the regular market rate right?... And not a penny more right?

Edited by MGsimba77

52 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

If you were ever in possession of one & put it up for sale I'm absolutely positive you'd charge just the regular market rate right?... And not a penny more right?

If you had one you're probably setting the market rate at auction.

No, I would not expect more because of the sticker. I might expect more if it was an exceptional example and presented well though...

Edited by Callaway29

10 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

No, I would not expect more because of the sticker. I might expect more if it was an exceptional example and presented well though...

Yeah of course. Never ever because of the sticker... That's what they all say

8 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:
11 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Keep any eye out for copies of JIMMY OLSEN #133. This is an overlooked book and hard to find in high grade. This is the first Kirby 4th world comic and under most people's radar. Still dirt cheap!

+1 on that. Most of the attention is on Darkseid's cameos and other 4th World 1st apps, this one seems pretty under-the-radar.

On that note, any and all of the Kirby JOs are worth picking up (if they're out there) :grin:

On 3/21/2018 at 10:44 AM, jcjames said:

What's there to joke about? They're a very serious company that basically charges a fee to grade a grade and put a little sticker over it.

They're connections to CL are all they needed to get it their pet-rock-of-an-idea off the ground!

"Wow, that's a really nice 9.6... that'll be $25 and here's your sign, er... sticker" :grin:

Genius I say!

It is genius. run by a lawyer and a guy with an MBA, necessary credentials for judging comic books.

51 minutes ago, the blob said:

It is genius. run by a lawyer and a guy with an MBA, necessary credentials for judging comic books.

Question: If there's in significant internal defect on a 9.4 book that would clearly prevent it from being a 9.6 or 9.8, but otherwise the book LOOKS superficially like a terrific 9.6/9.8 book just by looking at the slab, would it be a sticker-candidate? IOW, do they just look at the front and back cover through the slab and grade the grade that way?