• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, spreads said:

Although the first print is technically in the sixties, the later printings fall into the Bronze age.  Fed n Heads 1st print - low grade copy just sold for good chunk of cake!

As it should . . . :sumo:

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I don't think it was ever repurposed as a Conan story; it was reprinted in Conan the Barbarian #16 along with "The Frost Giant's Daughter", though.  So it's been recognized as a prototype for the Marvel version of Conan pretty much since the launch of Conan the Barbarian, even within Marvel.  But it's definitely not actually Conan, and since it's not the cover story I'm not sure it's going to have that much demand in the era of slabbed books.  With all that said, it probably deserves more love than it's currently getting in the market.

It does have that badazz Everett/Severin cover … GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 3:43 PM, comic_memories said:

this is Valeria  from Conan movie (1982} and she looks/dressed  like that blonde in the picture. lol

Download_%25281%2529.jpg

yeah, dunno why that pic would be belit rather than her .. but overstreet says the same thing ... but why wouldn't this be considered a cameo at most?

On 10/10/2020 at 9:34 PM, Number 6 said:

Yeah, except it it’s FM on the surrounding issues too. And FM did about a dozen Hulk covers so it’s not like it’s the only time he’s ever drawn the Hulk.  And I don’t think FM has ever been considered a “classic” Hulk artist. His Hulk cover issues really don’t command a premium. 

The darker cover vs high-grade would kind of make sense except 164 has a lot of black in the cover which would also make it difficult in high-grade yet it doesn’t see the same price spike as 163. 

I guess I still don’t understand the rationale behind the pricing.  I can’t think of another example of where the appearance of the Hulk boosts the value of the book that much. 

Defenders 10 .. sure Hulk was in the title... but Hulk / Thor Battle cover, it's basically a semi key just because of that. with that said, DD 163 is only a $5-$10 book in mid-grade, it only gets the real spike if it is very sharp

I wonder if a complete set of Conan and the annuals might do well right now or if folks just don't care for the filler? 1 - 275 only got $1200. of course, a lot depends on the condition of #1 up of the BWS books and 58, 275 and a couple of others. sadly many of those great Buscema issues under 100 are just not sought after because they aren't first appearances and such of any recurring character. at least the market has realized that all of the issues in the 270s, not just 275, are a bit harder to come by. 

OK, I know, I should do my own research, but are there any other Conan books that have popped lately? Obviously the BWS stuff is what it is and has been since forever, there's the Adams issue, the first Big John issue, 58, maybe 59 (though the sales don't show it), 100 (again, the prices are pretty tepid), 241-242 (just for the covers), (some of the issues in the 240s and 260s seem to be good $5-$6 books), 275... arguably 270-274 just for lower print runs (allegedly), maybe annuals 1 and 2...anything in the king conan or savage sword runs? Conan (the comic, Savage Sword seemed pretty good throughout) got pretty mehhh and formulaic in the late 70s and 80s and then seemed to get interesting again in the last 3 or so years before cancellation ... I have a lot of conans. I always enjoyed the title because the stories were somewhat self contained.. no 14 part story arcs and cross overs ... I could read a stack of CTB or Savage Swords on the can and not be confused... Comic folks sometimes forget how yuuuuge conan was at one point.. 2 comic titles and I believe 2 magazine titles all at the same time

Edited by the blob

This one is listed as the 1st Thoth Amon .... who in addition to being one of Conan's arch enemies, is also a member on this very forum. GOD BLESS....

ADSCN8970.JPG

23 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

This one is listed as the 1st Thoth Amon .... who in addition to being one of Conan's arch enemies, is also a member on this very forum. GOD BLESS....

ADSCN8970.JPG

What’s the candle power on that camera Jimbo :baiting:

6 hours ago, the blob said:

OK, I know, I should do my own research, but are there any other Conan books that have popped lately? Obviously the BWS stuff is what it is and has been since forever, there's the Adams issue, the first Big John issue, 58, maybe 59 (though the sales don't show it), 100 (again, the prices are pretty tepid), 241-242 (just for the covers), (some of the issues in the 240s and 260s seem to be good $5-$6 books), 275... arguably 270-274 just for lower print runs (allegedly), maybe annuals 1 and 2...anything in the king conan or savage sword runs? Conan (the comic, Savage Sword seemed pretty good throughout) got pretty mehhh and formulaic in the late 70s and 80s and then seemed to get interesting again in the last 3 or so years before cancellation ... I have a lot of conans. I always enjoyed the title because the stories were somewhat self contained.. no 14 part story arcs and cross overs ... I could read a stack of CTB or Savage Swords on the can and not be confused... Comic folks sometimes forget how yuuuuge conan was at one point.. 2 comic titles and I believe 2 magazine titles all at the same time

Issues 14 15 1st Elric ... 23 24 Red Sonja, 24 Dark Horse nude

On 10/13/2020 at 3:23 PM, shadroch said:

I would say the writer and artist intended that to be Belit. Just because the colorist screwed up, doesn't change their intent.

I've never read these books, but the few reference pics from the era that I could find googling suggests to me that it would be Valeria, based on the cut of her top, which would have been the penciller's or inker's decision, not the colorist's.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I've never read these books, but the few reference pics from the era that I could find googling suggests to me that it would be Valeria, based on the cut of her top, which would have been the penciller's or inker's decision, not the colorist's.

Most of the images people are showing are from the movie. The female in the movie is named Valeria but her character is much closer to Belit than to Robert Howard's Valeria.

I don't see how a character from a movie that was almost a decade after the art in question was drawn can be used to decide who is in the art.  In the written universe, it was Belit who overcame death to save her beloved, not Valieria. I have over two dozen Conan 58s, although none would get a 9.8. so I'm not arguing from a financial point of view.

I'd love for #58 to explode, and as I have five long boxes of Conan 1-150, I hope they all take off.

9 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Most of the images people are showing are from the movie. The female in the movie is named Valeria but her character is much closer to Belit than to Robert Howard's Valeria.

I don't see how a character from a movie that was almost a decade after the art in question was drawn can be used to decide who is in the art.  In the written universe, it was Belit who overcame death to save her beloved, not Valieria. I have over two dozen Conan 58s, although none would get a 9.8. so I'm not arguing from a financial point of view.

I'd love for #58 to explode, and as I have five long boxes of Conan 1-150, I hope they all take off.

I'm not taking about pictures from a movie. I'm taking about depictions from comics. I own none of the books being discussed here, and have no intention of acquiring any, so I have no financial interest. But the situation intrigued me, so I started looking for images of the characters from comics to see if their appearances from the time might give any hint as to who was being drawn.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:27 AM, the blob said:

yeah, dunno why that pic would be belit rather than her .. but overstreet says the same thing ... but why wouldn't this be considered a cameo at most?

Can someone post a Marvel comic depiction of Valeria from the time the art was drawn.  When I picture her, she is in leather pants, with a loose, white, pirate shirt. I have read the original stories more recently than I have read the comics so maybe my memories are off. The way she is depicted in The Age of Conan stories is pretty spot on to the way I picture her. Not like the movie showed her.

Edited by shadroch

This was from early 70's .... it looks like the gal in the flashback to me, and would likely have been in any reference files that Kane would have had in his source material to go by. GOD BLESS....

CONAN VALERIA.jpg

CONAN VALERIA 2.jpg

Edited by jimjum12