Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
41 41

7,862 posts in this topic

26,580 posts

I completely missed out on the #15 since it's now way outside my range but I did grab a nice handful of #16 for a good price.  There are a ton of #15 floating around so it may be a bad gamble but who knows maybe MSH 16 will also go for a ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,564 posts
3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I completely missed out on the #15 since it's now way outside my range but I did grab a nice handful of #16 for a good price.  There are a ton of #15 floating around so it may be a bad gamble but who knows maybe MSH 16 will also go for a ride.

I actually have the entire run up to 125 in 9.0 or better.  Very unusual that I actually own something that gets hot.  I think I tried to sell the lot like 10 years ago and crickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,037 posts
3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I completely missed out on the #15 since it's now way outside my range but I did grab a nice handful of #16 for a good price.  There are a ton of #15 floating around so it may be a bad gamble but who knows maybe MSH 16 will also go for a ride.

Are the 15s or 16s raws at their previous highs?  I see the graded books going for big money, but I recall 15 was going for $100+ pretty easily raw a couple years ago?  (I bought a collection that had all those books, that's what I remember).  Their could be legs to the character though, how many other Asian super-heroes are there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
947 posts
1 hour ago, mrwoogieman said:

A CGC 9.4 went for $605 on eBay yesterday.

Guess I need to go dig out some dups. Loved that book before the hype and it is my Birthday book so I may have been  hoarding them for years.

Shang chi.jpg

Edited by PKJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,161 posts
On 12/3/2018 at 11:39 AM, cd4ever said:

And just like that. Special Marvel Edition 15 explodes. 

 

Shang Chi

Any particular reason? hm  :wishluck:

 

:hi:

 

Edited by divad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,750 posts

Happy days!!

SME15 was an easy spec book for me. Been hoarding them for a couple of years now.. you mean to tell me a bronze book featuring a first appearance of a popular marvel character selling for 30-50$ in VF-NM all this time??

please tell me you don't have at least a dozen of those in your stock

 

Edited by Aweandlorder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,161 posts
18 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Happy days!!

SME15 was an easy spec book for me. Been hoarding them for a couple of years now.. you mean to tell me a bronze book featuring a first appearance of a popular marvel character selling for 30-50$ in VF-NM all this time??

please tell me you don't have at least a dozen of those in your stock

 

Not a speculator, just a collector. I rarely if ever, have more than one copy of any book - just upgrades - don't have "stock". :grin:

Oh, and YG, except for the obvious reasons (that it's a stellar book!) :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,564 posts
11 hours ago, divad said:

Any particular reason? hm  :wishluck:

 

:hi:

 

Movie nonsense

 

Sup brother! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,580 posts
4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Happy days!!

SME15 was an easy spec book for me. Been hoarding them for a couple of years now.. you mean to tell me a bronze book featuring a first appearance of a popular marvel character selling for 30-50$ in VF-NM all this time??

please tell me you don't have at least a dozen of those in your stock

 

It does seem like a no brainer but I just see any way they were going to make a movie based on the character especially after the Iron Fist disaster.  i think i had a couple stocked away and then sold them after the Iron Fist series came out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,161 posts
4 hours ago, cd4ever said:

Movie nonsense

 

Sup brother! 

doh! Of course, I forgot what the market responds to these days . . . forget that it's a Starlin masterpiece! :sumo:

Que pasa raza? :whee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,938 posts
5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Happy days!!

SME15 was an easy spec book for me. Been hoarding them for a couple of years now.. you mean to tell me a bronze book featuring a first appearance of a popular marvel character selling for 30-50$ in VF-NM all this time??

please tell me you don't have at least a dozen of those in your stock

17 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It does seem like a no brainer but I just see any way they were going to make a movie based on the character especially after the Iron Fist disaster.  i think i had a couple stocked away and then sold them after the Iron Fist series came out. 

 

 

Where have you been getting VF/NM for $50 the past 5 years? I bought a graded 8.5 last time there was rumors, I think two years ago, and it was $150.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,728 posts
23 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

A CGC 9.4 went for $605 on eBay yesterday.

Interesting price considering that a whole slew of CGC 9.6s sold the past few days at just $650.

 

  (31) $650Hi $382Lo
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 0284592003  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 0284592002  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295014  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 1308283011  
      Dec-03-2018 $600 Cert# 1213471013  
      Dec-03-2018 $599 Cert# 0118837027  
      Dec-03-2018 $465 Cert# 0301394003  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295009  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295008  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295007  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295003  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295002  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295017  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295016  
      Dec-02-2018 $595 Cert# 1261754015  
      Aug-28-2018 $550 Cert# 0352453007  
      Aug-08-2018 $550 Cert# 1287902020  
      Jul-11-2018 $555 Cert# 0219932004  
      Jul-05-2018 $525 Cert# 0193279009  
      Jun-29-2018 $525 Cert# 1254836013  
      Jun-15-2018 $550 Cert# 0962601004  
      Jun-07-2018 $510 Cert# 1027821007  
      Jun-04-2018 $440 Cert# 0962601002  
      Apr-22-2018 $382 Cert# 1294898003  
      Apr-17-2018 $482 Cert# 1011864001  
      Apr-17-2018 $400 Cert# 1206089028  
      Feb-27-2018 $410 Cert# 0183392005  
      Feb-23-2018 $475 Cert# 1472614006  
      Feb-20-2018 $475 Cert# 1472614003  
      Feb-20-2018 $459 Cert# 1231880013  
      Feb-18-2018 $450 Cert# 0962601005  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,898 posts
7 minutes ago, kimik said:

Interesting price considering that a whole slew of CGC 9.6s sold the past few days at just $650.

 

  (31) $650Hi $382Lo
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 0284592003  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 0284592002  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295014  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 1308283011  
      Dec-03-2018 $600 Cert# 1213471013  
      Dec-03-2018 $599 Cert# 0118837027  
      Dec-03-2018 $465 Cert# 0301394003  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295009  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295008  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295007  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295003  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295002  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295017  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295016  
      Dec-02-2018 $595 Cert# 1261754015  
      Aug-28-2018 $550 Cert# 0352453007  
      Aug-08-2018 $550 Cert# 1287902020  
      Jul-11-2018 $555 Cert# 0219932004  
      Jul-05-2018 $525 Cert# 0193279009  
      Jun-29-2018 $525 Cert# 1254836013  
      Jun-15-2018 $550 Cert# 0962601004  
      Jun-07-2018 $510 Cert# 1027821007  
      Jun-04-2018 $440 Cert# 0962601002  
      Apr-22-2018 $382 Cert# 1294898003  
      Apr-17-2018 $482 Cert# 1011864001  
      Apr-17-2018 $400 Cert# 1206089028  
      Feb-27-2018 $410 Cert# 0183392005  
      Feb-23-2018 $475 Cert# 1472614006  
      Feb-20-2018 $475 Cert# 1472614003  
      Feb-20-2018 $459 Cert# 1231880013  
      Feb-18-2018 $450 Cert# 0962601005  

That's why I found it interesting!

Here is a 9.4 from Canada for $599 plus $50 shipping from yesterday:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-MARVEL-EDITION-15-CGC-9-4-OW-W-PAGES-1ST-APPEARANCE-OF-SHANG-CHI-/123524891937?hash=item1cc2a84521%3Ag%3AFv0AAOSwJ31cBaf1&nma=true&si=nBOMG0pbM7xHUNmKh08fI1MvKaI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And here is the 9.4 for $605 with free shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Marvel-Edition-15-CGC-9-4-NM-WHITE-Pages-Universal-CGC-0114555001-/201159800204?hash=item2ed60ef58c%3Ag%3A8cgAAOSwd4tUASyK&nma=true&si=nBOMG0pbM7xHUNmKh08fI1MvKaI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,816 posts

I was lucky enough to pick up a 9.8 from Brock several years ago on a trade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,457 posts
14 minutes ago, minisink warrior said:

2420F3EB-09CB-413D-9AA0-7ADE6E618827.jpeg

Nice selection!!! The 9.0 looks nicely centered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,457 posts
33 minutes ago, kimik said:

Interesting price considering that a whole slew of CGC 9.6s sold the past few days at just $650.

 

  (31) $650Hi $382Lo
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 0284592003  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 0284592002  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295014  
      Dec-04-2018 $650 Cert# 1308283011  
      Dec-03-2018 $600 Cert# 1213471013  
      Dec-03-2018 $599 Cert# 0118837027  
      Dec-03-2018 $465 Cert# 0301394003  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295009  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295008  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295007  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295003  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295002  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295017  
      Dec-03-2018 $650 Cert# 1308295016  
      Dec-02-2018 $595 Cert# 1261754015  
      Aug-28-2018 $550 Cert# 0352453007  
      Aug-08-2018 $550 Cert# 1287902020  
      Jul-11-2018 $555 Cert# 0219932004  
      Jul-05-2018 $525 Cert# 0193279009  
      Jun-29-2018 $525 Cert# 1254836013  
      Jun-15-2018 $550 Cert# 0962601004  
      Jun-07-2018 $510 Cert# 1027821007  
      Jun-04-2018 $440 Cert# 0962601002  
      Apr-22-2018 $382 Cert# 1294898003  
      Apr-17-2018 $482 Cert# 1011864001  
      Apr-17-2018 $400 Cert# 1206089028  
      Feb-27-2018 $410 Cert# 0183392005  
      Feb-23-2018 $475 Cert# 1472614006  
      Feb-20-2018 $475 Cert# 1472614003  
      Feb-20-2018 $459 Cert# 1231880013  
      Feb-18-2018 $450 Cert# 0962601005  

A bunch of the 9.6 sales were probably from Greg Reece's site. He had about 10 copies up at 9.6 for quite awhile. They're all gone now.

Metro had a slabbed 9.2 that disappeared yesterday and Bob Storms had a 9.2 that went today... both asking prices were $375, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,750 posts
1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

 

Where have you been getting VF/NM for $50 the past 5 years? I bought a graded 8.5 last time there was rumors, I think two years ago, and it was $150.

From eBay.. like.. all day everyday 

this book needed a correction... BADLY And not because of a movie announcement. Just because it's been grossly overlooked all these years. Think of what Eternals are going for now JUST BECAUSE of a movie announcement. 

Shang Chi is on the same level as Iron Fist, Ghost rider or Moon Knight. Movie or no movie. These are b level properties which had long runs and a slew of appearances in the marvel universe. Now ask yourself.. how the heck is its first appearance selling for pennies compared to those other b class characters?????

The movie announcement here simply brought the character to light

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,728 posts
1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

From eBay.. like.. all day everyday 

this book needed a correction... BADLY And not because of a movie announcement. Just because it's been grossly overlooked all these years. Think of what Eternals are going for now JUST BECAUSE of a movie announcement. 

Shang Chi is on the same level as Iron Fist, Ghost rider or Moon Knight. Movie or no movie. These are b level properties which had long runs and a slew of appearances in the marvel universe. Now ask yourself.. how the heck is its first appearance selling for pennies compared to those other b class characters?????

The movie announcement here simply brought the character to light

Shang Chi is on par with Iron Fist as a C level property - they can't maintain a comic title. Moon Knight is a C+ since there is actually a comic fan following that sustains it. Ghost Rider is a solid B level property that has already had two somewhat successful movies as well as appearances on tv (Agents of Shield) - MoKF is nowhere near that at this point.

I do agree with you that the comic has been overlooked, though. I was buying MP 15, SME 15, Ms Marvel 1, MSpot 32, ASM 194 and others a few years back as a spec play. Thankfully they have popped now. That being said, I should have bought more Hulk 181s/ASM 129s/GSX 1s instead. lol 

Edited by kimik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
41 41