• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

damn this is the first i've ever ventured in this thread. Intense. there's some serious punches being taken and given over here. 

When does Daredevil 191 get a serious bump for being such a great story and great art? I got my copies. Do you?

Doubtful unless its a 1st appearance I don't know about.  There just seems to be a TON of these Miller issues floating around that I tend to even pass them up in the $2 boxes unless they are ultra high grades.

57 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Doubtful unless its a 1st appearance I don't know about.  There just seems to be a TON of these Miller issues floating around that I tend to even pass them up in the $2 boxes unless they are ultra high grades.

I NEVER pass by a miller book. It needs a home. 191 should be worth about 10 grand cause it's so well made. YOU NEVER LEAVE A MILLER BOOK BEHIND! EVER!   I mean the older stuff. The new stuff needs to go into a dumpster fire. What happen to that guy? Does anyone seriously know?

17 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Miller DD for $2?  Damn, send them my way....

7 minutes ago, spreads said:

Miller DD for $2?  Damn, send them my way....

Those later issues are just everywhere.  i looked at 179 and there has been quite a few which have sold for $2 over the last couple months (shipping not included of course).  Way to much supply on those issues.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

Those later issues are just everywhere.  i looked at 179 and there has been quite a few which have sold for $2 over the last couple months (shipping not included of course).  Way to much supply on those issues.

Sure, but don't you sell these offline?  Locally these kind of books are great to have, especially in the $2-5 range you can't go wrong!

Just now, spreads said:

Sure, but don't you sell these offline?  Locally these kind of books are great to have, especially in the $2-5 range you can't go wrong!

I don't set up at Cons anymore but i do see them selling in the $2 boxes.  But for a dealer to sell them for $2 they probably have to pay $0.25 a piece in bulk to justify the time and effort - not really a hot item.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, 1Cool said:

I don't set up at Cons anymore but i do see them selling in the $2 boxes.  But for a dealer to sell them for $2 they probably have to pay $0.25 a piece in bulk to justify the time and effort - not really a hot item.

Right, but my point is you can get a lot more for miller books than $2....at least I can and I price stuff quite aggressively (priced to move).

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If I offer you a choice of either book in the same grade at the same price, which book are you going to choose?

That's not how investments work, is it?  Will $10,000 worth of Hulk 180s today's increase more or less than $10,000 worth of Hulk 181s in the same period?

If you ask me which book I'd take for free, obviously the 181, but as an investment, it's the 180.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

That's not how investments work, is it?  Will $10,000 worth of Hulk 180s today's increase more or less than $10,000 worth of Hulk 181s in the same period?

If you ask me which book I'd take for free, obviously the 181, but as an investment, it's the 180.

Or decrease more.... :nyah:

14 hours ago, shadroch said:

This. The 180 or 180's you get for the money will almost certainly appreciate more quickly.

I am not so certain re: Hulk #180 being a better investment than Hulk #181. In 9.0+ grades, Hulk #180 is trending down now after a peak in prices early this year, while Hulk #181 keeps chugging along. 

9 hours ago, kimik said:

I am not so certain re: Hulk #180 being a better investment than Hulk #181. In 9.0+ grades, Hulk #180 is trending down now after a peak in prices early this year, while Hulk #181 keeps chugging along. 

I'm not certain it's a better investment, but I'm willing to bet it is. It is much easier for a $300 book to double in value than a $3,000 book. 

On 8/15/2019 at 10:22 AM, shadroch said:

The previous statement regarding desirability that you seemed to be responding to didn't seem to be discussing desirability as an investment, just desirability as a book. There's no question that the choice in that situation would be 181 for most collectors. Opinions might vary as far as which is better invetsment

7 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'm not certain it's a better investment, but I'm willing to bet it is. It is much easier for a $300 book to double in value than a $3,000 book. 

The same money in the two books, whether multiple 180's vs. a 181 or a higher graded 180 than a 181 seem to favor the 180(s).

17 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:
On 8/15/2019 at 10:22 AM, shadroch said:

but as an investment, it's the 180.

Have to agree.  If more and more people start to believe it's the first appearance you might someday see parity.  The 181 is a much cooler book imho.

It is the first appearance

14 hours ago, shadroch said:

Maybe, but it is usually much easier for a $3000 SA or BA book to increase $300 than it is for a $300 SA or BA book to double.

FWIW, I am dumping all of my #180s now that they have had a nice jump. Luckily, I sold my nicely centred CGC 9.4 W earlier in the year when prices were still in the $2400 - $2500 range. Now it is selling in the $2100 range according to GPA. Buying whatever grade Hulk #181 I could have nabbed at the same price (looks like a CGC 7.0 at that point in 2018) that I bought the Hulk #180 last year would have netted me a larger profit (especially if I had sold in Sept 2018 like I did with the 7.0 Hulk #181 I had from 2017). 

Edited by kimik

On 8/8/2019 at 11:07 AM, NP_Gresham said:

The market is not so focused on 1st appearance - or Hulk #180 would be more expensive than 181.

There is a little more required than a simple first appearance.

:) 

DeadHorse.jpg

Edited by fett