• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Why is MKF all that culturally significant? I suppose he is an Asian character who got a relatively long lived series, but he is not close to being Marvel's first Asian superhero (was that Sunfire or someone else?) Yes, China is a bigger market than japan, but...

A good test would be to see if the buyers of this book have some kind of ethnic or biological attachment to the character.  As you previously pointed out, before the announcement, very few people gave two about this guy....the book will crumble, make no mistake about it, the $64 million dollar question is when...

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Why is MKF all that culturally significant? I suppose he is an Asian character who got a relatively long lived series, but he is not close to being Marvel's first Asian superhero (was that Sunfire or someone else?) Yes, China is a bigger market than japan, but...

Sunfire didn't have his own title. MOKF lasted until issue #125 and had a nice long run for a niche book like that.

I like MOKF, it was pretty "deep" for the times...though as far as martial arts comics go I've always preferred Iron Fist.

Marvel was able to take c-list characters in GOTG and turn them into an a-list property. They probably feel that anything they put out will be gold 2c

4 minutes ago, spreads said:

A good test would be to see if the buyers of this book have some kind of ethnic or biological attachment to the character.  As you previously pointed out, before the announcement, very few people gave two about this guy....the book will crumble, make no mistake about it, the $64 million dollar question is when...

Well, it depends on how successful the movie is in generating new sustainable collector interest.  Iron man was a 3rd tier character with little collector interest before the movies made him a 1st tier character, IMO.  He translates well to the big screen and RDJ made him more interesting than the comics ever did.  That translated into sustainable long term collector interest.  Take it from someone who sold an Iron Man 1 into the first initial movie interest.  🙂

Likewise, FF 52 went from a very minor key to a pretty major one based on what appears to be real, long term, sustained demand created from the interest in the movies ( although it is still a little early to be 100% sure on that ).

People buying SME 15 right now for the long term are betting that the movie will generate similar sustained increased demand in the character.  I have bet against that by putting my copy up for sale, but only time will tell who is right.  Who would have thought that people would still be paying real money for Guardians of the Galaxy books years after the movie?  Certainly not me. 🙂

45 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

Well, it depends on how successful the movie is in generating new sustainable collector interest.  Iron man was a 3rd tier character with little collector interest before the movies made him a 1st tier character, IMO.  He translates well to the big screen and RDJ made him more interesting than the comics ever did.  That translated into sustainable long term collector interest.  Take it from someone who sold an Iron Man 1 into the first initial movie interest.  🙂

Likewise, FF 52 went from a very minor key to a pretty major one based on what appears to be real, long term, sustained demand created from the interest in the movies ( although it is still a little early to be 100% sure on that ).

People buying SME 15 right now for the long term are betting that the movie will generate similar sustained increased demand in the character.  I have bet against that by putting my copy up for sale, but only time will tell who is right.  Who would have thought that people would still be paying real money for Guardians of the Galaxy books years after the movie?  Certainly not me. 🙂

I agree with everything but the bolded. I felt RDJ did a good job in the first movie playing Iron Man. We got less of that and more him just being RDJ with each successive movie.

1 hour ago, spreads said:

I'm bullish on the long-term prospects of Shang-Chi and SME 15.  Assuming the opening movie is good and Marvel Studios makes another $1 billion or so with it (likely) -- in other words, assuming the character is embraced by audiences here and abroad -- Shang will be in the pop culture consciousness for the decade of the 2020s.  Kevin Feige is clearly teeing the character up to open the door for Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and then eventually Daredevil, Punisher and the other Marvel "street-level" fighters on the big screen.  And they will intersect with Blade and the Marvel 'monster-verse,' including Man-Thing.  Shang-Chi, with Dr. Strange, will anchor these new "Avengers" or "Defenders" (don't be surprised if we get a Defenders movie).  Thus, SME 15 is going to be a solid book for the next decade, most certainly in VF+ and higher.  And Shang-Chi will usher in a new embrace over all things martial arts, much like what we had in the early- to mid-70s with Bruce Lee and to a lesser degree in the mid-80s with Karate Kid.  Except that Marvel will find away to make martial arts ever cooler, and all the local Dojos around the country will be over-registered with kids wanting to learn Karate.  Remember how bad- this guy was 40+ years ago?  It's coming full circle in the 2020s, brothers.

tenor.gif?itemid=11347019

If someone 7 years ago would have told me TTA 13 would become a key, I would have laughed.  Very few pre-2013 reported GPA activity for TTA 13 because nobody wanted to slab them; they were essentially illiquid.  (A CGC 4.0 sold in 2009 for $43.)  Or Iron Man 55?  In 2011 (and for years before it), a 9.2 was a flat $300 book; today it's a $1,500 book.  And Groot and Thanos are just supporting characters in the MCU.

Edited by zosocane

47 minutes ago, zosocane said:

I'm bullish on the long-term prospects of Shang-Chi and SME 15.  Assuming the opening movie is good and Marvel Studios makes another $1 billion or so with it (likely) -- in other words, assuming the character is embraced by audiences here and abroad -- Shang will be in the pop culture consciousness for the decade of the 2020s.  Kevin Feige is clearly teeing the character up to open the door for Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and then eventually Daredevil, Punisher and the other Marvel "street-level" fighters on the big screen.  And they will intersect with Blade and the Marvel 'monster-verse,' including Man-Thing.  Shang-Chi, with Dr. Strange, will anchor these new "Avengers" or "Defenders" (don't be surprised if we get a Defenders movie).  Thus, SME 15 is going to be a solid book for the next decade, most certainly in VF+ and higher.  And Shang-Chi will usher in a new embrace over all things martial arts, much like what we had in the early- to mid-70s with Bruce Lee and to a lesser degree in the mid-80s with Karate Kid.  Except that Marvel will find away to make martial arts ever cooler, and all the local Dojos around the country will be over-registered with kids wanting to learn Karate.  Remember how bad- this guy was 40+ years ago?  It's coming full circle in the 2020s, brothers.

If someone 7 years ago would have told me TTA 13 would become a key, I would have laughed.  Very few pre-2013 reported GPA activity for TTA 13 because nobody wanted to slab them; they were essentially illiquid.  (A CGC 4.0 sold in 2009 for $43.)  Or Iron Man 55?  In 2011 (and for years before it), a 9.2 was a flat $300 book; today it's a $1,500 book.  And Groot and Thanos are just supporting characters in the MCU.

Great Post...Yes I can TOTALLY SEE Defenders (Valkerye, Starhawk, Surfer, Strange, Namor, Black Knight.. all possible

Thanos was and is more of a Key Character in the MCU arguably the MAIN MCU Baddy.... and IM55 also is first Drax, Starfox...Eros..

Compare any Major or Minor character in MCU Bronze AGE first appearance book from 8 years ago you will see a Dramatic increase.  Forget Silver Age Keys That is almost as nuts!

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

karatekidcranekick.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

21 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Where was the fan base before the movie announcement?

I think that depends what you mean by fan base... For years, every time someone in these boards talked about great series of the past, MoKF would be mentioned by multiple boardies. It never registered that way with me - but I was bigger into obscure characters like Starlord and Rocket Raccoon. It wasn’t me that made GotG big, and MoKF’s fan base won’t make Shang Chi into a hit, but even these small groups of supporters suggest that the concepts could resonate more widely.

7 hours ago, JayT said:

Martial arts was def a thing people got interested in for awhile.

Back then, everybody was Kung Fu fighting - those kids were fast as lightning! In fact, it was a little bit frightening, but they fought with expert timing.

44 minutes ago, Brock said:

I think that depends what you mean by fan base... For years, every time someone in these boards talked about great series of the past, MoKF would be mentioned by multiple boardies. It never registered that way with me - but I was bigger into obscure characters like Starlord and Rocket Raccoon. It wasn’t me that made GotG big, and MoKF’s fan base won’t make Shang Chi into a hit, but even these small groups of supporters suggest that the concepts could resonate more widely.

I have no trouble believing both MoKF and MK can be successful.

What I don't believe is that there is some large fan base somewhere supporting either.

This is purely Marvel/Disney at least with MoKF making a financial decision that has an easy benefit.
Really its probably the easiest film for them to make successful. Kill Bill is a recent example.

Edited by fastballspecial

6 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I always thought that about Iron Man....before the movies he was a 2nd or 3rd tier character. Now he's definitely one of Marvel's big 5 characters.

5 hours ago, zosocane said:

Man this post is intriguing to say the least...….awesome write up!

6 hours ago, zosocane said:

You've made some well thought-out comments, and present a solid case so thanks for this....but I don't see it unfolding like this at all, time will tell. 

17 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Great Post...Yes I can TOTALLY SEE Defenders (Valkerye, Starhawk, Surfer, Strange, Namor, Black Knight.. all possible

Thanos was and is more of a Key Character in the MCU arguably the MAIN MCU Baddy.... and IM55 also is first Drax, Starfox...Eros..

Compare any Major or Minor character in MCU Bronze AGE first appearance book from 8 years ago you will see a Dramatic increase.  Forget Silver Age Keys That is almost as nuts!

Not sure about The Defenders....FF has been off the radar for a while.  Isn't it time?  And they still need a mulligan after the last one.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

$1 billion for Shang-Chi? Spider-Man barely made $1 billion with the last movie which was well received and a heck or a lot more well known worldwide than Shang-Chi.

Well, there have been countless SPIDERMAN pics before so there is a lot of familiarity with the character. With MoKF it is a mystery and a new character for most people. Like BLACK PANTHER it may resonate with a large core group of people. If the trailer is good and there is good word of mouth I can easily see it make it past the 1B mark.

2 minutes ago, APDallas said:

Btw what is TTA #13?

Tales to Astonish #13 1st appearance Groot. Re: Master of Kung Fu. TV viewers can get that kung fu fix now by streaming solid 'Wu Assassins' filmed in San Francisco and parts of Vancouver, BC, Canada. I also don't see how MoKF (vs Fu Manchu, and intro of the Daughters of the Dragon(?)) movie can reach worldwide box office of $1 billion. 

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

$1 billion for Shang-Chi? Spider-Man barely made $1 billion with the last movie which was well received and a heck or a lot more well known worldwide than Shang-Chi.

Don't underestimate the Asian market. It's massive.