• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2021 at 10:45 PM, littledoom said:

Man Thing 1 is criminality undervalued and underappreciated.. $60-70 book at best!  .. should be easy $80-100+ ... Ploog underappreciated as well

why? It is like the 8th appearance of Man Thing. why should it be close in price to Swamp Thing 1, which has the awesome Wrightson art and is the second appearance (and arguably the first appearance of this particular Swampie). i have copies of both, i hope they're both $500 books, I'm just not sure why man thing 1 should be.

Edited by the blob

5 hours ago, manetteska said:

A lot of people are looking for answers on these dramatic increases, but I have yet to see a definitive answer. So, in that same vein, just my thoughts.

Taking GSXM 1 for example, as you said, this has been a key for a long time as well as rumored for a large film re-launch for years.

Those collectors who wanted a copy six years ago but didn't have $500 (or spent that money on another key) don't all-of-a-sudden have $5000 to buy it. 

Similar to the sports card (and non-sports card) market of late, there is big money to be made in a short turnaround. As opposed to the stock market, some invest in these entities due to nostalgia -- that is a driving factor; there is also the potential to buy a card for $1000 and turn it into $5000 much faster than any stock. Not to mention the myriad of ways to "adjust the market" in one's favor in a hobby versus a regulated market with oversight, fines, and jail time possible.

a bunch of guys just made a ton of money on gamestop stock and they are reinvesting in comics. or if you want to be morbid, 500,000 covid deaths means more inheritances. at least 6 or 7 of those people are comic collectors.

23 hours ago, kimik said:

Comics being accepted as investment collectibles, and more importantly the world being awash in free capital, are the big drivers of the price jump in comics and almost every other collectible right now. Hopefully it lasts as long as the 1988-2003 bubble did. That was a fantastic time to make :flipbait:

I was just in junior high and high school back then, but selling cards and comics to friends and other local collectors during a bubble was a fun and very lucrative learning experience.

you think there was a bubble going on in 1998-2002? really? it was a great time to buy to sell today. it wasn't a great time to sell other than cheap stuff. shipping costs were so low the cheap stuff made economic sense to sell. you could sell terrible $1 books all day and charge $3 shipping + $1 extra per item. But put a mid grade TOS 57 up and get $6. There was no intelligent distinction between junk and decent stuff.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

why? It is like the 8th appearance of Man Thing. why should it be close in price to Swamp Thing 1, which has the awesome Wrightson art and is the second appearance (and arguably the first appearance of this particular Swampie). i have copies of both, i hope they're both $500 books, I'm just not sure why man thing 1 should be.

Swamp Thing 1 is definitely underappreciated. 1st Alec Holland.

Is it wrong to laugh?  'Hot' book because of first app of a hammer, and now 1st app of a book, "Darkhold." 

Marv. Spolight 4 is the 'heated' up book that reminded me that that thing even exists (fyi the Darkhold is a book either in wandavision or suspected of being in it), I read these Werewolf by Night stories years ago and guess I forgot all about that tome.  Last week was Adv into Fear 11 because of the WV tv show, now, the Book

Still, it's not a shoeshine boy giving hot tips on which comic books to buy, so not yet convinced it's time to bail on the 'market.' ; )

3 hours ago, grebal said:

Still, it's not a shoeshine boy giving hot tips on which comic books to buy, so not yet convinced it's time to bail on the 'market.' ; )

I'd be more concerned if it was a stock broker . . . :baiting:

10 hours ago, grebal said:

Is it wrong to laugh?  'Hot' book because of first app of a hammer, and now 1st app of a book, "Darkhold." 

Marv. Spolight 4 is the 'heated' up book that reminded me that that thing even exists (fyi the Darkhold is a book either in wandavision or suspected of being in it), I read these Werewolf by Night stories years ago and guess I forgot all about that tome.  Last week was Adv into Fear 11 because of the WV tv show, now, the Book

Darkhold was the focus of one season of SHIELD. I actually think they did a good job with Ghost Rider.

18 hours ago, the blob said:

you think there was a bubble going on in 1998-2002? really? it was a great time to buy to sell today. it wasn't a great time to sell other than cheap stuff. shipping costs were so low the cheap stuff made economic sense to sell. you could sell terrible $1 books all day and charge $3 shipping + $1 extra per item. But put a mid grade TOS 57 up and get $6. There was no intelligent distinction between junk and decent stuff.

Frick. I meant 1988 - 1992. :tonofbricks:

The one group of books that was great to sell back then was Valiant. Between 2001-2003 there was a surge in prices. I was getting prices for raw books back then that are higher than what graded copies go for now. lol 

Edited by kimik

3 hours ago, the blob said:
14 hours ago, grebal said:

Darkhold was the focus of one season of SHIELD. I actually think they did a good job with Ghost Rider.

The Darkhold also had its own series.

15 hours ago, grebal said:

I mean, if the object is important, what's the difference that it's only a book? First Necronomicon seems important to me...but is first darkhold really that different from 1st infinity gauntlet?

5 hours ago, kimik said:

Frick. I meant 1988 - 1992. :tonofbricks:

The one group of books that was great to sell back then was Valiant. Between 2001-2003 there was a surge in prices. I was getting prices for raw books back then that are higher than what graded copies go for now. lol 

only for some of them, mainly harbinger 1. I never saw my X-O 1, Magnus 1, Rai 0, or Solar 1 take off.

9 minutes ago, the blob said:

yeah, but it had been around a while before that. and we only care about TV/movie tie-ins!

I'm just saying that it's not some ridiculously obscure, minor piece of the Marvel Universe.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

only for some of them, mainly harbinger 1. I never saw my X-O 1, Magnus 1, Rai 0, or Solar 1 take off.

The retailer incentives took off more. I was selling drek like Chaos Effect Alpha/Omega Golds for $80+ raw on eBay that I was buying for $1/less at stores and shows. The signature series books went crazy price-wise for a time then as well. It was fun to clean out stores and have the owner/employees question why you want Valiant since it ruined the comic industry and is worthless. lol 

6 hours ago, the blob said:

S.H.I.E.L.D. did a good job with everything ..... I  :cloud9: that show :x GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu