• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

On C-L ending tonight in couple of hours are a She Hulk #1 9.8 Rocky Mountain and Swamp Thing #1.9.6.   And not every day you see a Scooby Doo #1 (1970 Gold Key) come up for sale in 7.5 grade!  That could be fun.  Oh poop.  GPA doesn't list C-L results, and i forgot to place tracking bids.  I might have to grab some popcorn and watch the conclusion of this auction.  :popcorn:

I would forget price tracking bids on this Clink auction, think of a fair price you would pay for a book then times it by four. O.o

7 hours ago, Pantodude said:

On C-L ending tonight in couple of hours are a She Hulk #1 9.8 Rocky Mountain and Swamp Thing #1.9.6.   And not every day you see a Scooby Doo #1 (1970 Gold Key) come up for sale in 7.5 grade!  That could be fun.  Oh poop.  GPA doesn't list C-L results, and i forgot to place tracking bids.  I might have to grab some popcorn and watch the conclusion of this auction.  :popcorn:

The Swampy ended at $2,001!

Huge number for a book that has been trending between $800 to $1,200 & has been mostly flat since the live action show was canceled.

White pages and great centering are a tough combo for Swamp Thing #1. This one had pretty good centering, but not dead on. I believe this copy sold back in 2011 for about $450.

6 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

Huge number for a book that has been trending between $800 to $1,200 & has been mostly flat since the live action show was canceled.

White pages and great centering are a tough combo for Swamp Thing #1. This one had pretty good centering, but not dead on. I believe this copy sold back in 2011 for about $450.

What did Scooby Doo #1 (1970 Gold Key)  end with?

13 hours ago, batmiesta said:

I would forget price tracking bids on this Clink auction, think of a fair price you would pay for a book then times it by four. O.o

The She Hulk Rocky Mountain ended at 1900.

Some other notables:

Star Wars 1 9.8 white $4600

TOD 10 9.6 white $5981

X-Men 50 9.8 ow-w $9,100

X-Men 54 9.6 white Rocky Mountain $1450

X-Men 96 9.8 white CVA $3315

X-Men 129 9.8 white  $3100 (horrible cover wrap)

Not Bronze but:  X-Men 266 9.8 white direct $978

13 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

Well, it was a Golden State copy, which isn’t a pedigree, but a couple of bidders may have mistaken it for such. 

35 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Well, it was a Golden State copy, which isn’t a pedigree, but a couple of bidders may have mistaken it for such. 

I agree. But for my own personal tastes, I wouldn't have jumped my bid up from the averages by that much.
This was a nice copy, but to kick up about 40-60% over the recent averages, I'd need white pages & dead-on centering, or seeing the entire 'c' on the 20c on the cover.

Still - it seems like tons of books are way up, and if you want the book, you'd better prepare to go up and get it in this market.

6 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

The She Hulk Rocky Mountain ended at 1900.

Some other notables:

Star Wars 1 9.8 white $4600

TOD 10 9.6 white $5981

X-Men 50 9.8 ow-w $9,100

X-Men 54 9.6 white Rocky Mountain $1450

X-Men 96 9.8 white CVA $3315

X-Men 129 9.8 white  $3100 (horrible cover wrap)

Not Bronze but:  X-Men 266 9.8 white direct $978

Not sure if this has been mentioned but a X men 94 9.8 sold for 20k

Also all other grades are selling pretty hot on ebay right now too... I was a little shocked by the prices. Guess everyone is getting a companion for their GSX1

Edited by Wolverinex

1 hour ago, HighVoltage said:

I agree. But for my own personal tastes, I wouldn't have jumped my bid up from the averages by that much.
This was a nice copy, but to kick up about 40-60% over the recent averages, I'd need white pages & dead-on centering, or seeing the entire 'c' on the 20c on the cover.

Still - it seems like tons of books are way up, and if you want the book, you'd better prepare to go up and get it in this market.

But when does common sense come into it Jeff? I've been after a G/S Werewolf 2 in 9.6 for God knows how long and there is one in the Clink auction, I thought I would be sitting there Monday night with a beer and bang in $375 at the last minute and blow everyone else out of the water, what a :censored: pity! It is at $550 with 3 days to go, the same price a 9.8 went for in a Clink auction last year, yeah I want the book, but I'm not prepared to pay ridiculously over the odds for it. I remember a Fear #2 selling for $400 in one auction, then it reappeared in a later auction and I won it for $117, and it would not surprise me if a lot of these books fetching silly money in this auction turn up in the not too distant future and sell for a lot less..... one can hope. O.o  

40 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but a X men 94 9.8 sold for 20k

Also all other grades are selling pretty hot on ebay right now too... I was a little shocked by the prices. Guess everyone is getting a companion for their GSX1

I did not have a bid tracker in on the 9.8 #94, but I did track (and put a legit bid) on a #94 in 9.6 grade...at that went for $20,367 I think...if there was a 9.8 that went for that, it was a steal, before and after the 9.6 went off.

17 hours ago, batmiesta said:

But when does common sense come into it Jeff? I've been after a G/S Werewolf 2 in 9.6 for God knows how long and there is one in the Clink auction, I thought I would be sitting there Monday night with a beer and bang in $375 at the last minute and blow everyone else out of the water, what a :censored: pity! It is at $550 with 3 days to go, the same price a 9.8 went for in a Clink auction last year, yeah I want the book, but I'm not prepared to pay ridiculously over the odds for it. I remember a Fear #2 selling for $400 in one auction, then it reappeared in a later auction and I won it for $117, and it would not surprise me if a lot of these books fetching silly money in this auction turn up in the not too distant future and sell for a lot less..... one can hope. O.o  

It seems like common sense is out the window right now on a lot of stuff!

I know I’ve re-focused on a lot of books & titles, as I’m not going to compete with what’s going on right now. I’m trying to ‘go where they ain’t.’

I believe you are right - in that some of these books are going to fall down at some point. When? No idea. I’ve seen some good speculation in the Modern forums about spending drying up after summer, with the assumption that Covid starts to come under some kind of control and folks look to more ‘normal’ life patterns & stimulus money going away.

But books that aren’t keys will not be able to maintain the crazy. And some of these keys will flatten. This looks like a bubble to me. I just don’t know if it will deflate or burst.

8 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

It seems like common sense is out the window right now on a lot of stuff!

I know I’ve re-focused on a lot of books & titles, as I’m not going to compete with what’s going on right now. I’m trying to ‘go where they ain’t.’

I believe you are right - in that some of these books are going to fall down at some point. When? No idea. I’ve seen some good speculation in the Modern forums about spending drying up after summer, with the assumption that Covid starts to come under some kind of control and folks look to more ‘normal’ life patterns & stimulus money going away.

But books that aren’t keys will not be able to maintain the crazy. And some of these keys will flatten. This looks like a bubble to me. I just don’t know if it will deflate or burst.

Very few of the bids I have made over, roughly, the last eight months have been close to the winning one.

Just thinking about past conversations, and this is probably the 4th or 5th time I can remember prices spiking since CGC started up. Each time we talk about the jumps not being sustainable, only to see books pop again 3-5 years later. If you are looking for a copy of a long established key, buying one once the run up ends and they plateau for a bit has been the way to manoeuvre in between run ups.

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

Just thinking about past conversations, and this is probably the 4th or 5th time I can remember prices spiking since CGC started up. Each time we talk about the jumps not being sustainable, only to see books pop again 3-5 years later. If you are looking for a copy of a long established key, buying one once the run up ends and they plateau for a bit has been the way to manoeuvre in between run ups.

Indeed, and despite how much I have overpaid in the past for certain Bronze Age comic books every single one is worth more presently, some quite a bit, than what I paid. Of course, when I finally decide to sell them they will not be. :)

15 hours ago, HotKey said:

What is going on with mid grade GSXM1?

Screenshot_20210227-003953_eBay.jpg

I paid $3600 FOR MY 9.4 2 1/2 years ago, and questioned my sanity with that purchase. 

My GPA analysis collection tracker is way off on values because the record sales are far outpacing the rolling average refresh rte the program uses for assessing book value.

Edited by drotto