• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's the 2nd time the origin is printed according to the cgc label

marvel preview 2 is the first according to the cgc label

3204814_Full_Obv.jpg

Thank you! I always get my mags mixed up. doh!

That Super Action 1 is a 4-for-4 book though, and I inadvertently discovered the sale prices on the Vision reprint searching for the mag — it does reprint the classic cover, but it still seems crazy to me.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you! I always get my mags mixed up. doh!

That Super Action 1 is a 4-for-4 book though, and I inadvertently discovered the sale prices on the Vision reprint searching for the mag — it does reprint the classic cover, but it still seems crazy to me.

True it has the origin and the 2nd dominic fortune 

And others evidently it's a cool book

13 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Isn’t it Marvel Super Action (magazine) #1 — origin of Punisher, 1st Dominic Fortune, 1st Weirdworld, 1st Bobbi Morse/Mockingbird — a four-bagger mag!

Also, speaking of the title, looks like the regular-size comic Marvel Super Action #18 (Avengers 57 reprint) is now a thing too.

On the super action you said the #1 had the origin, when I said 1st origin was on marvel preview is why I said it has none of that

You said 1st dominic when that too is marvel preview 

And the others you mention aren't on marvel super actions label either 

Hence my confusion 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

True it has the origin and the 2nd dominic fortune 

And others evidently it's a cool book

Is that the 2nd on Fortune? I guess my brain lumped it in with Mockingbird and Weirdworld (which for a long time I though first appeared in Marvel Premiere 38 — loved that comic when I found it as a kid, and I wasn’t much for other sword and sorcery books. But it was well done.)

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

On the super action you said the #1 had the origin, when I said 1st origin is why I said it has none of that

You said 1st dominic when that too is marvel preview 

And the others you mention aren't on marvel super actions label either 

Hence my confusion 

Got it; sorry I was confused too! 
I guess the other 2 don’t rise to label mentions, as they are not big fish?

Just now, Readcomix said:

This is so much easier with barstools and beers!

No worries I'll admit its confusing 

And if the origin doesn't differ, why does one say 1st origin lol

It definitely can be confusing,  maybe the origins in the 2 books do differ? And that's why 1 says 1st idk, I've only read marvel preview 

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's the 2nd time the origin is printed according to the cgc label

marvel preview 2 is the first according to the cgc label

3204814_Full_Obv.jpg

If you read this and the 2nd Punisher origin side by side, is it basically the same, or do they modify it from one to the next? I found the one in Marvel Super Action kind of disturbing. If I ever read MP2, it was a billion years ago and I don’t recall, but I don’t think I’ve had a copy.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

If you read this and the 2nd Punisher origin side by side, is it basically the same, or do they modify it from one to the next? I found the one in Marvel Super Action kind of disturbing. If I ever read MP2, it was a billion years ago and I don’t recall, but I don’t think I’ve had a copy.

Marvel preview they're out for a picnic it gives a background of him that he is veteran  but on a family outing, and gunmen show up, and he is instinctive and doesnt get shot and vows vengeance 

I don't know on marvel super action,  but it could be a couple more pages of story after that sequence if I had to guess

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Marvel preview they're out for a picnic it gives a background of him that he is veteran  but on a family outing, and gunmen show up, and he is instinctive and doesnt get shot and vows vengeance 

I don't know on marvel super action,  but it could be a couple more pages of story after that sequence if I had to guess

Thank you; that’s the classic version that I had in my brain. I read the Super Action once before selling it when I stumbled on it a few months back, but I remember it involved him shooting a woman (prostitute IIRC?) in bed. Just wasn’t  expecting the scene in a 70’s mainstream publisher mag.

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you; that’s the classic version that I had in my brain. I read the Super Action once before selling it when I stumbled on it a few months back, but I remember it involved him shooting a woman (prostitute IIRC?) in bed. Just wasn’t  expecting the scene in a 70’s mainstream publisher mag.

I coul DC ask @nepatkm to jog our memories lol

I had a slab but wanted to read marvel preview,  so I bought it raw and read it. That same year a signing came with Len Wein and Gerry Conway, I couldn't resist and had it signed, now I cant read it haha

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I had a slab but wanted to read marvel preview,  so I bought it raw and read it. That same year a signing came with Len Wein and Gerry Conway, I couldn't resist and had it signed, now I cant read it haha

And now I’m trolling eBay looking for beaters of both! :pullhair:

29 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

And now I’m trolling eBay looking for beaters of both! :pullhair:

I can't remember what I paid for my Marvel Super Action #1, but it was probably around $20.  The Marvel Preview #2 was 40 cents around 1991 or so, even then it was clearly "The store screwed up" even if it wasn't high grade.  I've since had it signed by both Conway and Chaykin; I'm happy with it.

10 hours ago, Readcomix said:

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Readcomixyou are correct about the shooting at the end of the Punisher story Marvel Super Action #1...

6DBDE917-1D18-47CD-8C7E-8B289877C5D9.thumb.jpeg.914d7bd35217ca6a5e76f77d6e476c04.jpeg

Marvel Preview #2 - 1st Origin Punisher, and 1st appearance of Dominic Fortune. 
Marvel Super Action #1- Origin and 2nd appearance Dominic Fortune, and 1st Weirdworld...

You can pick up The Classic Punisher TPB as a inexpensive way to read the  Punisher stories. That collects both of the 70s magazines Punisher story from Marvel Preview #2, and Marvel Super Action #1 in that reading order. 💀

C80D8756-22C2-44A1-A57E-EB9F6F12F8F7.jpeg.c97c338aadcc5710ece9493bc535bfe6.jpeg

Edited by nepatkm
Reading order

1 hour ago, nepatkm said:

@Readcomixyou are correct about the shooting at the end of the Punisher story Marvel Super Action #1...

6DBDE917-1D18-47CD-8C7E-8B289877C5D9.thumb.jpeg.914d7bd35217ca6a5e76f77d6e476c04.jpeg

Marvel Preview #2 - 1st Origin Punisher, and 1st appearance of Dominic Fortune. 
Marvel Super Action #1- Origin and 2nd appearance Dominic Fortune, and 1st Weirdworld...

You can pick up The Classic Punisher TPB as a inexpensive way to read the  Punisher stories. That collects both of the 70s magazines Punisher story from Marvel Preview #2, and Marvel Super Action #1 in that reading order. 💀

C80D8756-22C2-44A1-A57E-EB9F6F12F8F7.jpeg.c97c338aadcc5710ece9493bc535bfe6.jpeg

Thank you Nepatkm :headbang: That last scene struck me as out there even for a mag, given it was Marvel.

That Bobbi Morse story predates MTU 95, I’m pretty certain, but I can’t recall if she has a different code name than Mockingbird in her costumed identity in MSA 1.

Edited by Readcomix
Mockingbird

On 3/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, maraxusofkeld said:

I am a bit out of the loop on the convo only reading back a few pages, but X94 was generally more expensive than GSX1 because of difficulty to find in NM or better, with a nice wrap, and white pages Back in 2009 or 2010 when I purchased both of them, I paid nearly $800 or $900 more for the 94 as it was much more difficult to find in CGC 9.4 than the GSX1. Once pressing became more mainstream, that changed the tide to GSX1.

Most current census:

X-Men #94 CGC 9.4 263

Giant Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.4 547

Now there are more collectors who collect keys, than collecting runs, which has hurt the 94 value.

Interesting numbers for 9.4 grade.  How are X-men 94 population numbers compared to GSX-1 in the other grades? 

I will say the rapid price correction is continuing for X-men 94 through the end of this week.   

Yesterday, a 7.0 copy sold for $1750  (congrats again @DocHoppus182)

8.0 sold for $2149