• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

Marvel Two In One 54

Son of a!  I love the cover (Perez is the man) so I grabbed a small stack last year.  I sold off a couple at current prices to move some books but somehow I knew that book had legs.  Now I have to scrounge around and find the other few copies. 

On 3/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, Readcomix said:

Thank you! She's had quite a journey. I can't recall for certain, and I no longer have MSA #1, but I think her costumed code name in that one might also have been something other than Mockingbird? She's a female Hank Pym, what with all the changes.

she went by "the huntress" for a bit. I am guessing they changed her because DC's Huntress became more popular, even though introduced later (not to be confused with the GA Huntress). granted, DC had a mockingbird too, but it was a totally different thing... with that said, why is amanda waller's 1st app worthless? i know they printed a lot of them, but she is a huge character in DC. then again, so are SHIELD Agents' Hill and Coulson...bias against non super heroes!

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

she went by "the huntress" for a bit. I am guessing they changed her because DC's Huntress became more popular, even though introduced later (not to be confused with the GA Huntress). granted, DC had a mockingbird too, but it was a totally different thing... with that said, why is amanda waller's 1st app worthless? i know they printed a lot of them, but she is a huge character in DC. then again, so are SHIELD Agents' Hill and Coulson...bias against non super heroes!

Thank you! I read that MSA, sold it, and completely forgot the name.

And yes Waller seems cheap given her importance. She has kind of become their Nick Fury.

6 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you! I read that MSA, sold it, and completely forgot the name.

And yes Waller seems cheap given her importance. She has kind of become their Nick Fury.

MTU 95 seems to be a bit hyped...as the Huntress she practically looks the same, except I don't think she uses her whacking sticks. And then there's this...

Marvel Daily Art on Twitter: "Mockingbird shares a one-page summary of her  origins, including her start at S.H.I.E.L.D. as Bobbi Morse, her stint in  the pages of Ka-Zar, and her name change

and this:

Mockingbird (Character) - Comic Vine

and this:

Super-Team Family: The Lost Issues!: Black Canary and Mockingbird

Edited by the blob

14 minutes ago, the blob said:

MTU 95 seems to be a bit hyped...as the Huntress she practically looks the same, except I don't think she uses her whacking sticks. And then there's this...

Marvel Daily Art on Twitter: "Mockingbird shares a one-page summary of her  origins, including her start at S.H.I.E.L.D. as Bobbi Morse, her stint in  the pages of Ka-Zar, and her name change

and this:

and this:

Love it! I do remember the sticks in the MSA story though. That lower left huntress panel is the costume, of course the mag was in b&w.

And if Ka-Zar had not appeared in Marvel Comics #1 would he have had so many chances??? Is there a golden age also-ran with more lives??? Maybe that’s it....they could just use magic or gamma rays to merge him with Zabu and make him some kind of saber tooth tiger were-man. Lords knows they’ve tried everything else!

Edited by Readcomix
Strange, baffling typo

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Love it! I do remember the sticks in the MSA story though. That lower left huntress panel is the costume, of course the mag was in b&w.

And if Ka-Zar had not appeared in Marvel Comics #1 would he have had so many chances??? Is there a golden age also-ran with more lives??? Maybe that’s it....they could just use magic or gamma rays to merge him with Zabu and make him some kind of saber tooth tiger were-man. Lords knows they’ve tried everything else!

it is a different kazar, apparently. zabu is mutated apparently, by radiation, and has human intelligence or something.

bobbi morse is his love interest for like a year in astonishing tales and shows up on 2 covers (one you can't even see her face). weird.

All of this amazes me.  I got back into comic collecting about 10 years ago, but was being pushed in the direction of original art by several friends.  After about 5 years, I realized to buy the art I like and would also be financially sound purchases was too rich for my blood, so I switched focus back to collecting comics, mainly SA and BA Marvel.  I managed to get many good books in the subsequent 5 years.  Now, I think the market for true keys is again too rich for my blood, and feel lucky to have picked up the books I have.

Edited by drotto

50 minutes ago, drotto said:

All of this amazes me.  I got back into comic collecting about 10 years ago, but was being pushed in the direction of original art by several friends.  After about 5 years, I realized to buy the art I like and would also be financially sound purchases was too rich for my blood, so I switched focus back to collecting comics, mainly SA and BA Marvel.  I managed to get many good books in the subsequent 5 years.  Now, I think the market for true keys is again too rich for my blood, and feel lucky to have picked up the books I have.

I dunno. It depends on how lucky were were fishing moderns and coppers out of dollar boxes. seriously, for $10-15 in dollar box adventures you could have about $1000-1200 worth of recently hot captain america/falcon related books. the other day I converted $6 worth of dollar box books into an $1100 sale. (ok, some of them were not bona fide dollar box books when I bought them, they might have been worth $10-$20, I got lucky, but still)

right now I could probaby convert a long box of hot moderns and coppers into a few legit BA keys, a;; bought for $1-3 each.. but not in high grade. the legit early SA keys, not so much. secondary stuff, sure, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/tales-of-suspense-57-CGC-3-5-First-Hawkeye/284212538358?hash=item422c632bf6:g:SIQAAOSw~UJgRqrj

I sold a copy of that book in a bit worse shape (probably a 3.0) for under $10 in 2002 or so. ouch.

Edited by the blob

4 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

I don't see her on the cover of AT #6.

You are correct -  The blob is right - it's #12 cover

My bad

6 hours ago, batmiesta said:

I wouldn't wipe my Geer with that. :eek:

it looks like somebody already did that...

but seriously, it has *mold* on it! that means it's rotting away in the bag. definitely keep this away from your other books - at least 6 feet, with a mask. A perfect book for COVID times!

2 hours ago, amatta said:

it looks like somebody already did that...

but seriously, it has *mold* on it! that means it's rotting away in the bag. definitely keep this away from your other books - at least 6 feet, with a mask. A perfect book for COVID times!

Depends who's looking at it. There are people out there that don't wear a mask so this would be a beauty to them.  

14 hours ago, the blob said:

and this:

and this:

Great cover ;-)