• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,704 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

True, the original Crimson Dynamo first appears in TOS #46, a silver age book, but that is entirely beside the point I was making. Maybe I was unclear; maybe you misread. 

You had pointed out that Hulk #258 is heating up and includes the first appearance of the Soviet Super-Soldiers, a team comprised on one of the bajillion Crimson Dynamos, Darkstar, Vanguard and Ursa Major. I was just adding that three years earlier, the same team except for Ursa Major, appeared in Iron Man #109, without calling themselves by any team name. That is why I was analogizing it to Brave and the Bold #54 and the Teen Titans. Iron Man #109 has no heat and may as well be grabbed now if the suspicion is there's heat around the team. (As @the blob pointed out, the Hulk #258 heat may only be around Ursa Major, who apparently will appear in the Black Widow movie.)

Soviet Super-Soldiers' individual first appearances:

Crimson Dynamo - TOS #46 (original version, Alex Nevsky). Dmitri Bukharin, the "good guy" Crimson Dynamo of the Soviet Super-Soldiers, first appears in Iron Man #109. But Nevsky was the original "villain" Crimson Dynamo from TOS.

Darkstar - Champions #7

Vanguard - Iron Man #109 (he is Darkstar's brother)

Ursa Major - Hulk #258 (also first time team is called the Soviet Super-Soldiers)

Sorry for any confusion; you put out a lot of good info here and its appreciated! I was just pointiing out a still-under-the-radar Soviet Super Soldiers book. 

Yeah that’s the point, there’s so many comics to buy to cover all the first apps of this team that may or may not be in the BW movie. 

2 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Yeah that’s the point, there’s so many comics to buy to cover all the first apps of this team that may or may not be in the BW movie. 

I wouldn’t go out of my way on these either, but the three bronze books (Champions 7, Hulk 258, Iron Man 109) are the kind that are likely sitting in old school LCS bins for a couple bucks each. Low risk if you’re able to fish out nice copies.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:14 AM, Crimebuster said:

23 is her first appearance and is a full appearance.

24 is a classic cover with a great story and is a must have for Sonja fans.

Everyone should get both!

Everyone should get all the BWS Conan books. They were one of the best highlights of the '70s and terribly undervalued IMHO.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:30 AM, Bludriver said:

You can't get older than that...thanks! Just funny how I never realized that. I wonder what other keys I am ignorant of that I may own.

lol actually I can go back further. Here are Overstreet 7 and 8.

7 has no mention at of Sonja. 8 marks the start of her getting mentioned.

IMG_20210511_2048007~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210511-205605.png

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

True, the original Crimson Dynamo first appears in TOS #46, a silver age book, but that is entirely beside the point I was making. Maybe I was unclear; maybe you misread. 

You had pointed out that Hulk #258 is heating up and includes the first appearance of the Soviet Super-Soldiers, a team comprised on one of the bajillion Crimson Dynamos, Darkstar, Vanguard and Ursa Major. I was just adding that three years earlier, the same team except for Ursa Major, appeared in Iron Man #109, without calling themselves by any team name. That is why I was analogizing it to Brave and the Bold #54 and the Teen Titans. Iron Man #109 has no heat and may as well be grabbed now if the suspicion is there's heat around the team. (As @the blob pointed out, the Hulk #258 heat may only be around Ursa Major, who apparently will appear in the Black Widow movie.)

Soviet Super-Soldiers' individual first appearances:

Crimson Dynamo - TOS #46 (original version, Alex Nevsky). Dmitri Bukharin, the "good guy" Crimson Dynamo of the Soviet Super-Soldiers, first appears in Iron Man #109. But Nevsky was the original "villain" Crimson Dynamo from TOS.

Darkstar - Champions #7

Vanguard - Iron Man #109 (he is Darkstar's brother)

Ursa Major - Hulk #258 (also first time team is called the Soviet Super-Soldiers)

Sorry for any confusion; you put out a lot of good info here and its appreciated! I was just pointiing out a still-under-the-radar Soviet Super Soldiers book. 

Any real heat with champions 7

Just checked my phone and I have a 30c variant

Screenshot_20210511-182327.thumb.png.c4722551e00c8b4f37cb1e926349871e.png

13 minutes ago, southern cross said:

Any real heat with champions 7

Just checked my phone and I have a 30c variant

Screenshot_20210511-182327.thumb.png.c4722551e00c8b4f37cb1e926349871e.png

I was going to say nah, we’re just kicking around the Soviet Super Soldiers 1sts while they are mostly still cheap, but a quick peek at eBay sold looks like Darkstar is getting spec’ed like Hulk 258. The first apps in Iron Man 109 are being called out in the listings, but the book is not hitting the $20 plus mark like copies of the other 2.

12 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I was going to say nah, we’re just kicking around the Soviet Super Soldiers 1sts while they are mostly still cheap, but a quick peek at eBay sold looks like Darkstar is getting spec’ed like Hulk 258. The first apps in Iron Man 109 are being called out in the listings, but the book is not hitting the $20 plus mark like copies of the other 2.

Hulk 258 was popping months ago, in 2020. I know I put some in a "sell" box a while back. Though "popping" was probably $10-15, not the $30+ it is now

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Hulk 258 was popping months ago, in 2020. I know I put some in a "sell" box a while back. Though "popping" was probably $10-15, not the $30+ it is now

I don’t know when Champions 7 caught on, but I just looked now and it surprised me that it had caught on.

3 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I don’t know when Champions 7 caught on, but I just looked now and it surprised me that it had caught on.

not gonna be in the movie i think. maybe the characters real name as a scientist, but not as a superhero type. i think they're going to have a more standard secret murder assassin academy explanation, maybe a little bit of krappy knock off super soldier serum for hopper, because otherwise he's just a big old guy.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

not gonna be in the movie i think. maybe the characters real name as a scientist, but not as a superhero type. i think they're going to have a more standard secret murder assassin academy explanation, maybe a little bit of krappy knock off super soldier serum for hopper, because otherwise he's just a big old guy.

I guess people are just looking for unexplored corners that seem like a decent bet to be mined by the MCU at some point (shrug)

13 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I sold a VF 7 on Mar. 1 for $5. Looking at the sold history on ebay it looks like its been selling fairly briskly for a few weeks now, including a CGC 9.6 for $150 a few days ago.

Edited by Morganmi
7 not 1

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I guess people are just looking for unexplored corners that seem like a decent bet to be mined by the MCU at some point (shrug)

I was not really familiar with the character, but yeah, I guess any BA 1st app of a character who has been around has an opportunity. I did not realize she became a regular member of the Champions at that point and was in the rest of the series and has appeared over 100 times in the comics, so, honestly, $20-25 or water is pretty par for the course for a 25 cent cover price 1st app, in nice shape, like that. It does seem plausible they may have a character in the movie who is named Petrovna or something, but I doubt they will introduce her as a super hero at this point.

I wonder how they're going to play with the politics here. I assume Marvel is going to play nice with Mother Russia.

2 hours ago, Warlord said:

Chthon "appears" in Avengers #185 via demonic possession of Scarlet Witch.   Just to muddy the waters a little bit.  :devil:

Chthon appears in marvel chillers 1 on the cover and interior as a Smokey entity. And again on marvel chillers 2, well before avengers to muddy it further