• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Batmans

55 posts in this topic

Question,

Does the recent auction for Batman 62, Palo Alto in the current Heritage auction have anything to do with the Comiclink 9.4 showing up???? Given how much was paid for the Palo Alto copy, I would be dumping it also since it is not the highest grade copy anymore, although I think the Palo Alto copy is nicer looking...

I agree that the 9.2 Palo Alto copy of this book is much nicer. The CGC 9.4 on Comic Link is just plain ugly with that horrible miswrap. Maybe the CGC guys had a few drinks before grading that one. grin.gif

Both the #55 and #65 have great eye appeal in my opinion. If I was to hazard a guess I could see the #55 going for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4K and the #65 for approx. 2.75K. Awesome Catwoman cover.

Until I find out differently, my thought is that the seller has no motivation to move the books. They will be offered with a very high reserve and can be bought at prices above/well above the market. It is a spectacular run and books can only be bought for spectacular prices. That's my opinion.

Until I find out differently, my thought is that the seller has no motivation to move the books. They will be offered with a very high reserve and can be bought at prices above/well above the market. It is a spectacular run and books can only be bought for spectacular prices. That's my opinion.

For a lot of these books, like the #55 & #65, there is no reliable "market" to gauge current values. The books just don't show up often enough. I predict that many of these books will sell, and vanish into dealer and collector vaults for several years.

You're right that the prices will be high. These will not be books to buy and flip immediately, but in the long haul, they'll be great books to have. I know that if I'm lucky to win one of these auctions, I'll hang onto it for quite some time.

These books will be priced to SELL!! I dont like listing books so good customer cant get books they really want...The reserves will be reasonable based on condition and scarcity..If they dont sell for some reason, they will be put in the FOR SALE section....Hope that helps

Steve

When we read, "priced to sell" we seem to be in a subjective area. How many sellers have said, "throw out the guide on this one?" I now have only a few guides left. I am not trying to outguess the market for unique, high quality books so indeed the percentage sold will bear your statement out. From my own perspective I'm trying to get a handle on where the reserves might fall in order to determine whether I am wasting my time placing some bids. I suspect that will remain a mystery perhaps as it should.

I'm sure Josh will correct them soon, but he's got a few errors in those listings. Batman #55 isn't listed at all, but the scan for #55 is listed under #58, which already has been bid up to $1200. I wonder if those folks think they're bidding on #55 or #58?

The books listed are really nice. The only Batman book I own that grades higher than the list shown is #42 (CGC 8.5). The rest of my books grade lower. However, I'm expecting a #53 back from CGC next month. I'm hoping for a 9.0. Does anyone know if that book is hard to find?

Look at the much lower grades and missing issues between about 74 and 100. The "atomic" age issues seem to be much harder to find in grade than the "golden" age ones.

yeah. Thats something. WHoever put this run together STILL wasnt able to get those in better shape! scary.

53 is pretty common, but a 9.0 would be a great book. The issues that were most difficult for me to acquire were thse in the #70 to #99 range. Now that I have started the upgrade process, I found these are especially hard to find in high grade, although I have picked up a few nice issues like 71, 74, and 89. Low grade copies are easy to find. I think putting together a VG collection of Batman would be pretty simple, but a solid fine or above would be more of a challenge and an 8.0 and above real tough. I have been wondering if some of these issues are sitting in private collection someplace. I just have to believe some high grade copies were found in some of the big collections over the years.

Does anyone seriously think that the Batman #1 will sell for anywhere near the ballpark of 285 G's? I think it's going to stay unsold for a long time.

I don't know, but it seems to me that overpricing like this could make the hobby look really bad, and send the prices of many key books spiralling downwards. If new collectors/investors/speculators see the same book sitting unclaimed at a lofty price for eons, what will newcomers to the hobby with big dough make of comic collecting? I don't think we can expect a serious influx of big money in GA when everyone can see (plain as day, and on the internet!) that the key books are sitting on the shelf gathering dust. sign-rantpost.gif

Interesting point. I have always wondered about the prices thing sell for and wonder if they are always real. I am interested to see how many of the comiclink books will meet reserve. So far, not too many, but the big bidding has yet to begin.