• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Judge Dredd #1

6 posts in this topic

Why does CGC get this wrong so much?

a>

That is Judge Dredd #1 from Quality Comics from October of 1986. Yet I continuously come across Judge Dredd #1 from Eagle Comics from November of 1983 graded as and with the CGC label for the one from Quality Comics.

CGC has worked with me in getting this corrected in the past but why is it such a problem? Anyone else have this problem?

Image below is a recent purchase of mine off eBay of a Judge Dredd #1 signed by Brian Bolland where the label says its the Quality Comics issue but it's obviously the Eagle Comics issue.

12724.jpg

See more journals by mikelutes

I've come across probably around 10 or so, including two that I own. The universal copy I own I even sent back into CGC to get it corrected and when I got it back it was still saying Quality Comics so I had to send it in a second time and that's when they finally got it fixed.

I feel you're pain ML, it totally sucks!

I recently bought a CGC 9.8 copy of Savage Dragon 102 and I noticed on it's yellow signature series label... it's missing the issue number 102! I just reads Savage Dragon. But luckily, all one has to do is cross reference the registration number on the CGC site to pull up the complete data and there it correctly identifies it as Savage Dragon 102. I did the same for your comic and take a look... it says Eagle Comics... https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1147161004

Certification Information

Certification #: 1147161004

Title: Judge Dredd

Issue: 1

Issue Date: 11/83

Issue Year: 1983

Publisher: Eagle Comics

Grade: 9.8

Page Quality: WHITE

Label Text: SIGNED BY BRIAN BOLLAND ON 9/9/12

Grade Date: 12/14/2012

Category: Signature

Art Comments: John Wagner story

Brian Bolland cover & art

So you see, you have nothing to worry about... but...

...I'm sure you could send it back to CGC to correct it without incurring additional fees (except mailing).

SW3D

Yeah but part of it for me is that the label be correct, especially for a signature series issue like this. And on the off chance I do ever sell it I'd probably get more if the label was correct.

I've contacted CGC and they said they'd correct it for no charge minus the shipping to them but with shipping times being so bad lately I'm not sure if I'd be ok with it being gone that long. Although last time they did it very quickly and threw in a scan of it for free.

I'm just picky when it comes to things like this and considering this is the second one I've owned like this and I've seen several more like it, it just makes me wonder why this one seems to get messed up like this.

Well... my two cents for what it's worth... no one can dispute the value or authencity of the comic based upon the label... which is a minor error on the part of CGC. Sh*t Happens! As you already agree... the CGC registration number and the CGC Certification Information confirms the correct information for the comic... which means the fair market value of the comic should not be compromised in any way. As for the perfectionist in you... I feel that pain and I know what it is like... but life goes on... you'll learn to live with it... just take a deep breath and save yourself the pain, money, and stress worrying about it.

But if it will make you feel any better... and this probably won't... you have to realistically look at it this way... the comic is nothing more than just a reprint from 2000AD. In my opinion, it really not worth much save for Brian Bolland's signature... which is not terribly hard to get.

I say... get off your butt and track down the originals and there you'll have the real mccoy. Then get BB to sign them. Now we're talking!

Goto comicvine.com: http://www.comicvine.com/judge-dredd-judge-dredd-1/37-23657/

Gives you full details of Eagle Comics Judge Dredd 1:

The original US reprint series from Eagle Comics reprinting the best Judge Dredd stories from UK anthology comic 2000AD.

Cover: Brian Bolland (Judge Dredd)

■Judge Death (progs 149-151) (John Wagner - Brian Bolland)

■The Forever Crimes (prog 120) (John Wagner - Brian Bolland)

■Punks Rule (prog 110) (John Wagner - Brian Bolland)

Either way, I think your comic is beautiful for three reasons...

1. It features an original cover by Brian Bolland.

2. It's signed by the man himself in a perfect location, and it's a very legible signature. It's like he drew his name on it!

3. The condition is mint!

Final Words: Brian Bolland happens to be one of my favorite artists. The man is amazing... brilliant! I bought that very same comic back in the day... fell in love with his visuals... he's the reason why I love Dredd. In my opinion, he's the best Dredd artist bar none! Keep the comic... it's f*cking gorgeous... but if you don't want it... I'll take it... for the right price.