• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Hard to believe how quickly this year has passed! I'm currently laid up with torn ankle ligaments after an argument with a patch of black ice whilst I was out for a cycle ride, so with far too much time on my hands, thought I would share some of my books collected in the past year with y'all in the run up to Christmas. Books have steadily displaced comics for me in recent times - the increase in comic values diminishes the 'bang for a buck' ratio too far for me these days. Truth to tell, I get far more out of books now, and it would be a very rare comic that would fire my enthusiasm in the way they once did. But I still enjoy my collection and am content with what I have.

There have been some wonderful books published in the past year to feed my interest in numerous fields - from fantastic fiction to photography, from wildlife to Japanese prints, art and science. Some acquisitions are newly published while others have been out of print and proved to be hard to find...

In particular, I've found myself increasingly interested in larger illustrated books with high production values.

IMG_20191218_123651.jpg

IMG_20191218_123706.jpg

IMG_20191218_123714.jpg

IMG_20191218_123721.jpg

IMG_20191218_123729.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Yoshi*oshi, One Hundred Aspects of the Moon (1885–1892)

Amazing facsimile edition featuring each print actual size produced by Abbeville Press. Yoshi*oshi is considered the last great master of uki-yoe prints before woodblock printing in the traditional manner was overtaken by lithography and modern printing methods. He had a difficult life, frequently out of popularity with the public and out of favor with the Royal Court. He eventually suffered a breakdown, and died three weeks after being released from a mental institution at the age of 53. His work has seen an up swell of interest and is credited with being a key influence on manga and anime. BTW, where possible I'm illustrating these posts with images sourced from the internet rather than my personal copies. In the process I discovered that it is possible to purchase individual prints by Yoshi*oshi - the going rate seems to be around $3000 for a print in VG condition.

yos.jpg

yos_01.jpg

yos_02.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo
His name wont print out in full