• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Enjoyed the portfolio of Africa pics, Michael.

Still researching Japanese wood block prints while perusing Stevenson’s Yoshi toshi book (it sure is something, limited edition of 3000). I really appreciate that the book reproduces the prints in their full oban size.

Edited by sacentaur

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Enjoyed the portfolio of Africa pics, Michael.

Still researching Japanese wood block prints while perusing Stevenson’s Yoshi toshi book (it sure is something, limited edition of 3000). I really appreciate that the book reproduces the prints in their full oban size.

My pleasure Steve. You may recall that I shared another book on Yooshi here a few years ago. link

It seems copies are readily available on Abebooks and Amazon. Not quite full size, but getting there - about 14" tall.

36 Ghosts

Tales from the Island of Serendip updated thread navigation for the new site (please bookmark)!

Serendipity

Serendipity - Paddyfield School - The Story of Mohan - Sometimes

Sting

School bully!

El Puente

Muralist Joe Matunis - El Puente de Williamsburg - Return to Paddyfield School - Lucina

Bells from the Deep

Werner Herzog - Juliane Koepcke - The lost city of Kitezh - Sadko - St Clemente

Virgil Finlay - Reed Crandall - Graham Ingles - Berni Wrightson - Al Williamson

Flex studies for larger paintings

pcalhoun & jimjum

Clark Ashton Smith - Pat's poems - Jimbo's excellent paintings

The Life of Father Hess - Kasauli Art Camp -  Sketches of Bonhooghly - The Death of Mohan Ghosh - Rabindranath Tagore

DavidMerryweather art collection

Black Marigolds

In Search of Lost Time - Georges Seurat - Roger Fry - The Trojan Horse - Ananda Coomaraswamy - The Great Stupa at Sanchi - Ajanta caves - Black Marigolds

Detective Stories

Johannes Vermeer 1632–1675: A Detective Story - camera obscura - Han Van Meegeren - The Theft of the Mona Lisa - Donato's Captain America and other works - Rainer Maria Rilke - Cornell Woolrich - Cat's space themed paintings - Netsuke - Hart Crane - Cat's 'Creation' - Boba's illustrations - Caravaggio's Nativity - Las Meninas - John Singer Sargent - Flex large painting - Thomas Nashe - Tom O' Bedlam - Georges de La Tour - Flex exhibition - Joseph Wright of Derby - John Martin

The Bosnian Conflict

Andrei Tarkovsky - Welcome to Sarajevo - Margaret Moth - Yasna's cat - Romeo and Juliet in Sarajevo - Miss Sarajevo - the Serious Road Trip - War Child - the Help album - The Ruin

pcalhoun writer and collector

Autobiographical notes - Jade tiki - Ubbo-Sathla by Clark Ashton Smith - Robert Q Sale - Tekkai Sennin - Bakemono - Zuni fetish - Yooshi's ghosts - Kuniyoshi

Steven Assael

Paintings - drawings

Photos of Nirmal's Village

When Shabana was 11 - Mohammed Yunus - Grameen bank - mosaics of Ravenna, Venice & Florence - Duccio's Maesta - when Tuku was a child - We cry to Thee, O Conqueror of love - Grunewald - Michael Leunig - The Metamorphosis of the Gkmloooms - We shall rise

Steven Assael's Bride Paintings

Bride paintings with details - Spirits of the dead keep watch

Kolkata

Flex photo essay - Lucina's gold medal

The Hero's Journey

The Courts of Chaos - 'The Heroes' by Charles Kingsley - Medusa - Archetypes - Chris Vogler - Galaxy Quest - the Trickster - Prometheus

In the Beginning

Altamira - Shanidar - flower burial

Interlude

Mir para - Lija and her baby - Lullaby - Her name is Zoa - My relationship with Bonhooghly

Before They Pass

Threnody - Jimmy Nelson - The Lost Steps - Witness - Jean Baptiste Debret - Johann Moritz Rugendas - Sebastião Salgado - Serra Pelada

Sting and the Rainforest Foundation

Sting in the tail - Raoni’s message - Rolling Stone - World in Action - 30 Most Generous Celebrities list Before they pass away - Yanomami - Christina Haverkamp - The Haximu Massacre - pcalhoun on rip-off charities - Love Story - Darkness in El Dorado - Kenneth Good & Yarima - The Good Project

Lost Cities

Mridula & I - Bitter fruit - El Dorado - The Lost City of Z - Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett - Garden Cities of the Xingu - Caral

Interlude

I want she don't go back to that hell

Heaven's River

Nazca - Maria Reiche “the lady of the desert” - Secrets of the Inca - Wari tomb - the end of all things - Machu Picchu - the Sacred Valley - The condor at Pisac - Ollantaytambo - the "eye of the llama" - The Viracochan image - the pyramid of dawn - Momia Juanita

Alternative Histories

Jericho - Çatalhöyük - The Great Mother - Tierra del Fuego - Lilith

Flood

Cataclysm - Epic of Gilgamesh - Genesis - mythological diffusion - "Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan" by John L. Stephens - Hamlet's Mill - the Sampo - the Phoenicians - the Paraiba Stone - Fusang - Rowan Gavin Paton Menzies - Zheng He - The Bosnian Pyramids - Maya - Xibalba

Sunk

Atlantis - Guanahacabibes - Mysterious grid - Bimini Road - Yonaguni - Mu - James Churchward - Out of the Aeons - Lemuria - Kumari Kandam - Ice Age Civilization - Graham Hancock - Lost Continents - Zealandia

The Human Condition

E. J. Michael Witzel - Laurasian mythology - humanity's emergence - The Isle of the Dead - What Dreams May Come

Was God an Astronaut?

Eric Von Daniken - Chariots of the Gods - The Morning of the Magicians - At the Mountains of Madness - Carl Sagan

Steven Assael

Druso

U.F.O

Kenneth Arnold - flying saucers - Roswell Incident - Maury Island - "men in black" - Project Sign - Project Blue Book - "foo-fighters"Alien abduction - the size of the universe - Multiple universes - Stephen Hawking - Fermi's paradox - the Drake equation - The Silence - N-rays - innate releasing mechanism - Carl Jung - The Roper Report - The abduction - The Dark Side of the Moon - gamma-ray bursts - Ordovician extinction - Invader - Budd Hopkins - the abduction of Linda Cortile - John Mack - Aliens in America

The Search

My red book - Carl Jung's Red Book - Charles Steffen - Ernst Haeckel - Jeffrey J. Kripal

Lost Horizons

You are as the yellow leaf - The Snow Leopard - Lost Horizon - Shambala - Hollow Earth - the Thule Society - The Way of the White Clouds - António Andrade - Tsaparang - Mount Kailash - Bhagavad Gita - The Upanishads - Navratri

Interlude

Update from Lucina

Festival 

Durga Puja - Ramlila - the hijras - City of Light

Further update from Lucina - Calcutta Botanical Gardens - Indian ComicCon

Puri beach - Juggernaut - Temple of the Sun - Kajuraho - Reprise - pcalhoun 'Rilke's Sonnets to Orpheus'

Interlude

Lucina's Conference - Market Day - More Photo of Village Life - Ongoing Correspondence - Ganges 'Beauty Spot' -Eid

A Christmas Carol

The sheer exuberance of Bengali village life in a hundred photographs

Labyrinths

Pan's Labyrinth - Symbolic Pilgrimages - Chartres - The Mystic Rose - A Pilgrim's Progress - The Labyrinth of Buda Castle

King Minos - 'Da-pu-ri-to-jo Po-ti-ni-ja' - the first European civilization - the palace at Knossos - bull dance

Thera - Tsunami - Akrotiri

Mycenaean ascendancy - Pasiphaë - the Minotaur - Theseus and Ariadne - the integration of the shadow - Betrayal - Right of Passage

The Holy Grail

The Da Vinci Code - the Ark of the Covenant - Knights Templar - the grail in literature and television - Perceval, le Conte du Graal - Joseph of Arimathea - King Arthur - the grail in movies - Excalibur

Imitatio Christi - Heresy - King of the World - Crusade - "God will know His own" - Simon de Montfort - The Inquisition - "Not a bird sang for a generation" - the Wasteland

Sin, redemption, pain, and healing - Bayreuth - Hans-Jürgen Syberberg - Healing the Wound - Wings

Cloudlets Bright Career

Remembering Mridula - Her death and funeral - Keats' poem - Tagore poem

Mary Elizabeth Frye - A family grieves

Lucina's work on crop studies - Meeting a politician - Lucina's new apartment

Tuku and Mono - 'I have murdered my wife' - On a dead child by Robert Seymour Bridges

Tectonic Plates

Kevin Bubriski's photos of Nepal - The Earthquake - Everest's worst disaster - 'It's just a matter of time'

Family without Geography - Touched by an Angel by Maya Angelou - My second visit - Family drama - My birthday

My Village - A Neighbour's Wedding

Elegy

A trip to the Bay of Bengal - 'The Wanderer' by Eugene Field - Some ruminations on Serendip - Lucina's trip to South Korea - 10th World Bamboo Congress

Joseph Farquharson 

A little known Victorian painter - Valerie's letter from V for Vendetta

hic sunt dracones

Dinosaurs in comic books - Bones from the Earth - Paelo Art past and present - Mass Extinction Events - The Burgess Shale - Snowball Earth - Dinotopia - On the disappearance of snails - The Coelacanth, Living Fossil - Imaginary 'dinosaurs' - the real reason dinosaurs became extinct (according to Mr Bedrock) - Wonderful Life - Dinosaur Heresies - On dinosaur intelligence - the Anthropocene Era - Anosognosia - Teilhard De Chardin - Julian Jaynes - Wittgenstein - 'Acension' by Pat Calhoun - William Stout

Light/Shadow/Phoenix/Mirror

Lucina and Purnabha get married - The golden spice - Who offered this maiden? - Bride Feast - When I first met this skinny kid - 'An Epithalamion' by John Donne - Honeymoon in Darjeeling - The Captain Nirmal Sen Gupta Memorial Institute

Out of the Dark

The starfish - 'Fearless', the rape and murder of Jyoti Singh Pandev - Child Trafficking - Anoyara Khatun - The Dowry System - Rajabazaar - Roshni - Let there be Light - 'The Garden of the Prophet' by Kahlil Ghibran - 'Time Enough for Love' by Robert Heinlein - Roshni's new room - Roshni's Web Site is launched - The story of Luke - Independence Day - Progress report - Mission and Vision - http://www.roshniumeedki.org/index.php - Women's Football Team - the Nightingale of India - The Hijab - Women Taxi Drivers - TV station 24hgt - Make Love Not Scars

Reporting from Kolkata

Richard Henry Dana - Demonetisation - Wearing a hijab - Arshi and Nikat - Gayatri Mantra

The Story so far

A brief retelling of the whole story of my times in India for those who don't want to wade through the last 200 pages!

A detailed report on my visit to Roshni, November, 2016

First visit to Roshni's new base - Phil and Rita - Soccer Practice - Children's Day - 'Hijab', a poem - Food Festival - A walk around Rajabazaar - Proposal for a Women's Refuge - Craft fair - Pat Painting - Rajabazaar at night - Nikat and Zeenat - Arshi's family - Sealdah Station - Siliguri to Darjeeling - First sight of Kangchenjunga - Darjeeling - Sittong - Prayer to Durga - Mahishasura - Tribal groups - The Lepcha - Shelpu Bazaar - Namthing Pokari - Buddhist temple - Aahal - KFC - The Luke Holland Memorial Scholarships - Excursion to Nicco Park - The Fisher King - Dinky won an award - Roshni Scholars

Tsundoko

My library -  The Natural History of Birds - The Birds of America - John Gould - Edward Lear's Parrots - Sharpe's Birds of Paradise - The Huli Tribe

Photographers

Riefenstahl's Africa - James C. Faris - Peoples of The Omo Valley - George Rodger - Joey Lawrence

Shogun

An English navigator in Japan - The Battle of Sekigahara - Miyamoto Musashi - The Tokugawa Shogunate - The Boshin War  - The Last Samurai - Great Edo period printmakers - Japonisme - Photographs of Japanese Customs and Manners  - Ogawa Kazumasa - One of the most expensive books ever produced - Japan, Described and Illustrated by the Japanese - Hawksmoor -   Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem - Netsuke -  the Japanese invented a form of comic book -  Utamaro and Hiroshige -  Basho

Orientalism

Eqypt, Nubia and The Holy Land by David Roberts - Jean-Léon Gérôme - John Frederick Lewis

Chamelion

Veruschka - Blow-Up - Valkyrie - Vogue - Trans-Figurations -to dissolve the self into the world - Liu Bolin - Hiding in the City

Objectifying The Other

Before They Pass Away - Nixiwaka Yawanawá

More on Roshni's Progress

Sana Tehsin - A sports tournament - Ashrina Zurain - Kaniz Fatima - Seige - 'Now we are very famous.' - 'tell me, where was God?' -  'Now we will rape you.' -  Republic Day - Book Fair in Kolkata -  'I learned if you believe your own self we win all fight' -  Saniya Saba - Siddiqa Warsi -  to Bombay -  Holi, Festival of Colors - Roshni's annual report - Return to Roshni - The future is in their hands

Back to India

Purnabha and Lucina's Convocation - Dooars - Sonali - Barriers are broken - Into the Jungle - Here the tea pickers live - Dreaming Food - Conscience - Stations - 'The creature is regenerating itself.” - Mirror - at Bubaneshwar Station - “Sleep is the most innocent creature.” - What torture lurks within a single thought - Araku - the Tribal Museum - “You cannot teach democracy to the tribal people, you have to learn democratic ways from them. They are the most democratic people on earth” - Kuni Sikaka - Asara - Anantagiri - Trafficking tribal women and girls - Rajini was 15 years old - Gross national happiness - Bhutan -  Gangkhar Puensum -  the cave complex at Udayagiri - Puri -  Visakhapatnam

Drawing from History: The Forgotten Art of Fortunino Matania

Fortunino Matania - The War to End All Wars - Sergeant York - Wilfred Owen - Seigfried Sassoon - Classical Themes - Pirates of Venus - When Worlds Collide - covers Matania did for Panther Books

Edited by Flex Mentallo
Serendipity links updated for the first time in two years

Well, phew. I had not kept track of how long it has been since I updated the thread navigation to Serendipity. Unbelievable that two years have gone by since I did. I hope readers will take the trouble to use the navigation, especially for the two years in question. More to come...