• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

“I wonder if those in the future who view these images upon the magic screen will appreciate the value of motion-pictures as a means of recording life as it is lived in this century. That those who live in the next may actually see the living figures of men and women who lived in the same world a hundred years before?”
Burton Holmes,1899

TRAVELOGUE-MAN-6.jpeg

The Illustrated Press

Merry Christmas, fellow boardies! I hope everyone here has a restful festive holiday, as free of cares and worries as possible in these trying times.

As in previous years, I'd like to share some of my 'adventures in book collecting' over the past twelve months. The emphasis will be in images more than words, so feel free to switch off your brains, but do try to keep your eyes open, even if after turkey and christmas pudding!

Many books found there way to me over the year, and in narrowing the choice, I thought I would focus on a single shelf of books about artists and the pulps and slicks published by the excellent Illustrated Press.

I haven't attempted to photograph the contents as the results would be unsatisfactory, so apart from a few personal copies, the vast majority of images are sourced from the internet.

Feel free to post anything you have, or make comments!

NB there may be a handful of images where attribution is uncertain – if you spot one, let me know!

IMG_20201222_111133.jpg