• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

RICHARD DOYLE

'Triumphal march of the Elf King. This important personage, nearly related to the Goblin family, is conspicuous for the length of his hair, which on state occasions it requires four pages to support. Fairies in waiting strew flowers in his path, and in his train are many of the most distinguished Trolls, Kobolds, Nixies, Pixies, Wood-Sprites, birds, butterflies, and other inhabitants of the kingdom.' From In Fairyland, a poem by William Allingham with a series of pictures from the Elf-World (Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870).

fantasy008.jpg

SIDNEY SIME

'The sudden discovery of that infamous den, that renowned and impregnable stronghold, the fear and envy of universal wizardry, not only drowned my memory of the quest - it involved me in perilous side issues. The malevolence underlying the Pophofgf's hospitable greeting passed unheeded by me, absorbed as I was, for how long I know not, in a profound and fatal curiosity.' Original drawing for The Fantasy of Life, a series of drawings to unknown tales. For The Tatler, 28th August, 1901

fantasy011.jpg

RENE BULL

Come fill, the cup, and in the Fire of Spring

The Winter Garment of Repentance fling:

The Bird of Time has but a little way

To fly - and Lo! The bird is on the wing.

From Quatrain VII of The Ruba'iyat of Omar Kayyam,

translated by Edward Fitzgerald (Hodder & Stoughton, 1913)

fantasy016.jpg

RENE BULL

Ah Love! could thou and I with fate conspire

To grasp this sorry scheme of Things entire,

Would not w shatter it to bits - and then

Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire.

From Quatrain L X XII of The Ruba'iyat of Omar Kayyam,

translated by Edward Fitzgerald (Hodder & Stoughton, 1913)

fantasy017.jpg

KAY NIELSEN

'And this time she whisked off the wig, and there lay the lad, so lovely, and white and red, just as the Princess had seen him in the morning sun' Illustration for The Widow's Son from East of the Sun and West of the Moon, Old Tales of the North by P.C. Asbjornsen and J.I. Moe (Hodder & Stoughton, 1914)

fantasy022.jpg

linky: http://nielsen.artpassions.net/