• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

She is in the midst of making her preparations to attend the World Bamboo Conference in Damyang in September. [brother ciorac gave me some helpful advice about South Korean culture to pass on to her. Bill, as a result she will be getting some calling cards printed!]

logo_korea_zpspvsqjj4q.jpg

By the way, I was hugely touched by two fellow boardies who, quite independently of each other, paid me more than my asking price for a couple of cherished items sold to help raise the costs of her trip. Lucina has promised a full report on her return.

IMG-20150623-WA0004_zpsibnaybpr.jpg

Progress on other fronts as well. I was able to send Tuku sufficient funds to lay the floor of her new house and I'm hopeful she will be able to move in before Christmas...

..and Lucina's younger sister Lilufar now has the funds to enable her to give up her atrociously paid teaching job and sign up for a 'basic-to-advanced' college I.T. Course...

Thankfully, I do not miss the books I sold to achieve these simple goals.

IMG-20150609-WA0005_zpstdfj0wge.jpg

You may recall that their cousin Lija was married off far too young, and when she ran back home the abusive in-laws turned up demanding that she give them Amu, her newborn baby girl.

Lija's story

While Lucina and Lilufar were achieving their career goals, Amu celebrated her second birthday. She now speaks to me on the phone - in English - only a couple of words, but perfectly enunciated.

IMG_5821_zps5kezwyd4.jpg