• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Theseus anticipates his triumphal return. He neglects, however, to put up the white sails... From the headland on Cape Sounion, King Aegeus sees the black-sailed ship approach and, presuming his son dead, commits suicide by throwing himself into the sea that is named after him...

aegean_king_and_return_of_theseus_by_panaiotis-d4pxiu7_zps3419c392.jpg

Every myth serves to illumine. For each of us, the quest we undertake throughout our lives involves the opportunity to become the hero of our own story; to slay the dragon, to rescue the distressed damsel, to do good, to be transformed - and this is an essential rite of passage if we are to truly fulfill our destiny, whatever it may be.

Picasso_Minotauromachy02_zps29505472.jpg

Theseus is not triumphant, but tragic. As a consequence of his own actions he becomes king at the heavy cost of his father’s death; and his story is a warning, that in our striving we must risk becoming the monster instead.So then, if we fail, instead of the longed for heroic transformation, we must through suffering and sacrifice seek redemption. For what if the Minotaur aspired to be a hero?

DVinfernoMinotaurOnCliff_m_zpsd0e9d341.jpg

And this is the story, not of the labyrinth, but of the grail…

Next: THE HOLY GRAIL

Depending on what life has shown us, we may wish like Alice simply to awaken from a “horrible dream.”

Pans_Labyrinthf_zps49787889.jpg

.... I had forgotten how much I loved this movie :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's a perfect movie, and how often can one say that? It struck me as I was researching this essay, that the young heroine bears a striking resemblance to the young Jennifer Connelly in Jim Henson's (vastly inferior) Labyrinth. I wonder if that was a conscious decision by Del Toro, or is serendipity at work here yet again?

labyrinth-1986-05-g.jpg