• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

The girl in the last photo is Nikhat's sister Zeenat, who had polio then TB. Shahina tells me she nearly had to drop out of school, because her school classroom was upstairs. Roshni intervened, talked to the headmistress, and they moved her to a ground  floor classroom. Her health is visibly improved, judging by this photo.

Information regarding the now 18 scholarships funded by fellow boardies is at last percolating through to me. Hopefully I will be able to post all of their bios soon.

Meanwhile, anyone who has come aboard Serendip in the past few months might find it useful to follow this link and scroll halfway down the page for the most up to date thread navigation.

Serendip thread navigation

In our culture we have an annual festival called Rakhi utsav. It is a touching ceremony. A girl gives a boy a bracelet. So he will protect her like a brother. But we wanted to change this to promote equality between girls and boys. So they will protect each other even if they have different religious back grounds. So a Muslim girl will give a bracelet to A Hindu boy, and vice versa. They will protect each other.

IMG-20170731-WA0001.jpg