• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

With media and child commission's intervention they were finally returned to their homes, where the police are providing security.

Shahina: 'This is a result of our work and support to the community women to break the social taboo through women football team, taxi driver scheme, scholarships, legal support to the deserted women and other works in favor of women and child rights.'

According to Shahina the intention of the mob wasn't to harm them physically but to destroy their identity, creating a negative vibe in the community against them.

Screenshot-2018-1-15 Facebook copy.jpg

Friends and agencies have rallied to Roshni's support. Following hasty discussion via social media, I've proposed that we fund a rally in support of what Roshni stands for, to counter what those men seek to destroy. There is safety in numbers.

The story has been published in all the papers, and on the main television news.

26231778_1234896139975757_6708068680699214785_n.jpg

Soon after the riot, Roshni's landlord visited Shahina to say that he would like Roshni to vacate the premises. At this point Shahina contacted me and said she felt completely helpless. No more so than I.

But since then things have begun to turn around. I reminded Shahina that Roshni has paid rent up to March 31st. If he wants Roshni out, fine, just reimburse us for the outstanding period. Shahina has decided to try to negotiate with the landlord so Roshni can stay, but has now also decided to be ambitious, and seek larger premises. I told her no matter what happens, we will find the necessary funding.

The hooligans then tried to intimidate the scholars. One of them told Ashrina he would stab her in the leg if she continued to attend Roshni. She is reported to have invited him to do so, saying, 'you stab me in the leg, I will still go to Roshni'.

This all began when Roshni intervened on behalf of Kaniz Fatima's mother, who was being abused by a man who resented the intervention. He instigated the riot. Shahina went to see Kaniz, and together they went to the police last week. The police have arrested the ringleader, and he is now in jail.

Shahina is , I believe, now organizing a rally to push back against this toxic culture of intimidation. She says that many people are now supporting her. We have discussed Roshni's needs for the coming year, and I now have a funding target for rent, scholarships (increased from 15 to 18 scholarships since last year, and  fund for legal aid).

Shahina tells me a report and video are imminent.

I plan on running  a sales thread in the coming weeks similar to the highly successful one we ran last year. More on this anon.

IMG_20171030_175720.jpg

A message to all of us from Shahina.

Hello everyone now we are safe, but our scholar Kaniz still faces many challenges. Today we go to police station to complain against hooligan and want to demand police support.

Tomorrow will Kaniz hearing in court. Plz pray for our safety.

IMG-20171006-WA0024.jpg

The Officer-in-charge,

Narkeldanga Police Station,

Kolkata

RE: Imminent danger to life of children and probable destruction of public tranquility

Sir,

I, the undersigned, reside at Rajabazaar along with my husband and daughter.

I submit that I and my family have been subjected to never-ending torture and physical abuse over the last week on an hourly basis. My daughter was manhandled, touched upon her private parts and filthily abused by Guddu, Panchu, Moyna and their agents. These offenders reside at our neighborhood and have been abusing women of the area for long. We complained the matter with your good office and an FIR bearing no. 10/2018 was registered against the accused persons. Moyna was arrested in this case and Panchu and Guddu surrendered and took bail.

Since then the said Panchu and Guddu and their agents have been threatening us on an hourly basis. They are almost perpetually at our doors, giving out filthy abuses, saying 'Ab rape kar denge', and throwing stones at us. Yesterday they abducted my son and later put him out on the road in this cold. They have warned us that the moment Moyna gets bail they will jointly attack our house and finish us off for good. We are confined to our room for the last two days and have run out of food and ration.

Being a mother I'm deeply terrified of these offenders and the safety of my children. I request you to take necessary action against these offenders and their agents.

“I am reminded of the query made about man's inhumanity to man in the concentration camps. The question was asked: At Auschwitz, tell me, where was God?

And the answer came: Where was man?

For it was men alone who did this evil. Not God or religion or men acting in the name of God or religion. But simply men.”
― Glenn Meade, The Last Witness

Edited by Flex Mentallo