• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

61kGmy61qwL_zps3e9e9d79.jpg

For centuries, our view of the Amazon has assumed that the indigenous peoples were isolated tribes of hunter gatherers who had journeyed East across the land bridge from Siberia to Alaska, carrying the same shamanistic traditions still found among the surviving indigenous peoples of North America.

They are the remnants of a continent spanning civilisation that flourished in the Amazon jungle at the same time as the Roman Empire, and may well have been larger and more populous.

But it is now known that there were cities in South America thousands of years before Rome.

Next: Caral

For centuries, our view of the Amazon has assumed that the indigenous peoples were isolated tribes of hunter gatherers who had journeyed East across the land bridge from Siberia to Alaska, carrying the same shamanistic traditions still found among the surviving indigenous peoples of North America.

They are the remnants of a continent spanning civilisation that flourished in the Amazon jungle at the same time as the Roman Empire, and may well have been larger and more populous.

But it is now known that there were cities in South America thousands of years before Rome.

It's interesting, having been to Chichen Itza and some of the other Mayan ruins in the Yucatan, how similar that depiction is.

It's interesting, having been to Chichen Itza and some of the other Mayan ruins in the Yucatan, how similar that depiction is.

In this case, the illo was the closest I could find to resonate with Orellano's "Cities of shining white in the jungle".

But those cities would have been made of wood and piled earth, not stone, which is why they disappeared into the jungle soon after they were abandoned. (There is a similar problem for archaeologists in India, where temples were constructed out of wood until a few thousand years ago, leaving no trace. We only know they existed because the first stone temple builders literally carved fake wooden rafters in the ceilings!)

I'd honestly expected to come upon one or two accurate artist's impressions of what Orellano described - I did a lot of searching, but no luck so far.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

In this case, the illo was the closest I could find to resonate with Orellano's "Cities of shining white in the jungle".

But those cities would have been made of wood and piled earth, not stone, which is why they disappeared into the jungle soon after they were abandoned. (There is a similar problem for archaeologists in India, where temples were constructed out of wood until a few thousand years ago, leaving no trace. We only know they existed because the first stone temple builders literally carved fake wooden rafters in the ceilings!)

I'd honestly expected to come upon one or two accurate artist's impressions of what Orellano described - I did a lot of searching, but no luck so far.

That makes sense. They must have been huge structures given the size of the outlined base.

CARAL6_002_zpsc5c691ae.jpg

The oldest city in the Americas flourished at the same time that the pyramids were being built in Egypt. The vast site, called Caral, had a complex, highly structured society that is one of about a dozen large sites in the Supe Valley, just inland from the Pacific coast in central Peru, 120 miles north of Lima.

CARAL2_002_zpsdbdeebf5.jpg

New radiocarbon dating shows that Caral flourished for five centuries, starting about 2600 B.C., with public architecture (including six stone platform mounds up to 60 feet high), ceremonial plazas and irrigation -- all signs of a society with strong, centralized leadership.

CARAL3_zpsdfa35c24.jpg

The finding is forcing a re-evaluation of ideas about the rise of the earliest civilizations in the New World, particularly how and when ancient peoples moved from the coasts, with reliable ocean food sources, to inland settlements with less stable supplies of food.

BRAZIL_BIOPIRACY_NY382_zps4266b78b.jpg

Orellano reported that the indigenous people used fire to clear their fields.

Bruno Glaser, from the University of Bayreuth, has found that terra preta is rich in charcoal, incompletely burnt wood. He believes it acts to hold the nutrients in the soil and sustain its fertility from year to year. This is the great secret of the early Amazonians: how to nurture the soil towards lasting productivity. In experimental plots, adding a combination of charcoal and fertiliser into the rainforest soil boosted yields by 880% compared with fertiliser alone.

Yet terra preta may have a still more remarkable ability. Almost as if alive, it appears to reproduce. Bill Woods has met local farmers who mine the soil commercially. They find that, as long as 20cm of terra preta is left undisturbed, the bed will regenerate over a period of about 20 years. He suspects that a combination of bacteria and fungi is causing this effect.

Today, scientists are busy searching for the biological cocktail that makes barren earth productive. If they can succeed in recreating the Amerindians' terra preta, then a legacy more precious than the gold the Conquistadors sought could spare the rainforest from destruction and help feed people across the developing world.

36942421-e190-42ca-a96b-a3dc8b60111e_zps7f193ff6.jpg

And what of the surviving tribes who are the scattered remnants of this lost civilization?

Even today, the Brazilian government estimates that there are more than sixty Amazonian tribes that have never been contacted by outsiders.

"No one knows for sure who they are, where they are, how many they are, and what languages they speak."

Sydney Possuelo

New radiocarbon dating shows that Caral flourished for five centuries, starting about 2600 B.C., with public architecture (including six stone platform mounds up to 60 feet high), ceremonial plazas and irrigation -- all signs of a society with strong, centralized leadership.

Great photo and fascinating stuff.

Great photo and fascinating stuff.

Thanks John, I think these photos of Caral are awe inspiring and couldn't resist "shoehorning" them into the narrative at this point.

Had the civilisation in the Amazon had the resources to build in stone rather than wood, our understanding of their past would have been radically different.

Instead of monuments we have aerial photos, terra preta, rituals in small villages that belong in larger communities, and recently, ancient middens (large mounds of broken potsherds) scattered along the banks of the Amazon.

We thought of Orellano as a charlatan and Fawcett as a reckless dreamer with ill-found notions.

We thought of El Dorado as a myth.

For me the truly compelling part is how a lost reality became a myth, and myth became reality again, transforming our understanding in so many profound ways.

Next: Was God an Astronaut?

I want she don't go back to that hell

Just a brief interlude to update those who are interested on Lija's situation. I hope you wont mind if I share? (Though you may find it upsetting.)

PC261340_zps90d425da.jpg

Bulbuli's baby was sick and admitted to the hospital last saturday. She was released by the hospital on Wednesday. she is quite well now. Yes I think this is gong to be tough to support her. Because there is a huge responsibility. I have told her to join a computer class and continue her education so that she can take her baby's responsibility on herself. You send her money little by little so that she only can use it for her study purpose. Other wise she will spend it on her family. For getting Computer education she will immediately need 2500- 3000 rupees. send her maximum 5000 rs. I am sending her account details.If anything requires tell me I will try to send. I told her not to discuss it with anyone so that she can spent it for her own education only.

Take my love

Lucina Yeasmin

PC261264_zpsc044bd8c.jpg

I have just sent Rs 5000 to Lija as requested. Please ask her to keep any surplus for emergencies only. And please tell her I have sent it with love. Let me know when it reaches - I think it may take a week. They may also deduct a fee at her end.

Give everyone my love. If anyone else in our family needs money for good reason in future of course I am here to help. You will be the judge of it. (That includes you dear if god forbid something major or very urgent comes up!) I am starting to put a little aside each month and it is no hardship. Actually the reverse - this helps me to feel connected.

All my love

Michael

dec08jan09-0599_zps86223c61.jpg

I know if any emergency whom I can get immediately and instantly beside me will be without any hesitation 'you'. Thank you for calling it your family. Everyone in your family knows how much you love them and they always admit it. I will ask liza to check her account after a week. I have told her to keep it for emergency. I want she don't go back to that hell. She should become an independent girl. They will just kill her. And above all where she will go the boy is not ready to accept her as a wife and his family blame liza for everything. They do every type of torture they could. My family still wants she should try to go back. She should ask them for one chance. But I know she can not withstand what will happen to her. Her in-laws are inhuman. They are against everything she do. They even do not allow her to stay in his bedroom alone. The bad thing they did they planned and made her pregnant. I was against having the baby from beginning but no one listened to me and They made her suffer. I cant resist all these and cant do anything. You please take care of your health.

Take my love.

Lucina Yeasmin