• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

West Bengal is one of the most densely populated places on Earth, even more than Bangladesh. Before partition, they were one state, Bengal, unified by history, culture and language. Their combined population is around 250 million people, inhabiting a land area of 232,752 square kilometers. It is roughly equivalent to the entire population of the United States living in an area the size of Minnesota.

GangesDeltaBangladesh_zps87rejrse.jpg

The second week of my visit is if anything more eventful and emotional than the first. As you will see in the end it also becomes rather surreal, but more on that later. Lucina takes me to visit a model village, where one of her PhD colleagues is introducing simple techniques for the upkeep of the farms that will reduce waste contamination.

IMG_0571_zpscfpeblvo.jpg

So there is nothing idyllic about local conditions, and the work of Lucina and others like her is clearly of vital significance. But the family do not understand the pressure Lucina is under, or realize just how distracting the ongoing family drama has become. These matters Mridula's death has only compounded.

IMG_1819_zpsl1gnignc.jpg

It is a good plan, but it will be far beyond her means, and she at first protests that she cannot allow me to use my money for this purpose. When I explain that it is only a matter of selling a few comic books I didn't really need, she relents without further protest. (They may include comics I'll possibly never see the likes of which again, but she will never know it.)

IMG_2245_zps8qxcniyj.jpg

While the new house is being built, Latif and his daughters are living in a makeshift tent in the compound, and I with them. While I sit reading in the bedroom, Poppy and her cousin Lilufar are watching television in the small living area behind the partition. Suddenly, both girls begin howling inconsolably, and I rush out to see what has caused it. They are completely overcome, and as the entire family gathers in the tiny space, it comes out that a month before, Mridula had been filmed giving a speech as part of a cable TV program on local politics. Unknown to the girls, this program is being repeated in honor of Mridula's death, on the very channel Latif's television is set to.

They have switched off the television. But on another evening, Latif takes me to a friend's house, where a CD of the event is played for me. I see a woman unaware of her impending departure. Mridula's speech is slurred, her eyes wander.

IMG_1893_zpsox9h15nh.jpg

The next day Latif insists that I get dressed in my Sunday best and come meet his boss, Firdousi Begum, West Bengal Minister for the Gram Panchayat (local government). She had brought comfort to Latif's house when she heard about Mridula, and he wishes to thank her.

IMG_2304_zpsjwcuwgjl.jpg