• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Despite my protestations we go to the wrong airport. They refuse to listen to my misgivings, as bad as the taxi driver who brought me to them two weeks before. Only the fact that the old airport is utterly deserted eventually persuades them. But finally all is put right. I say goodbye, go through security, and look back. They are still standing, beyond the glass. They wave a final time, and I wave back. The security guard looks at me bemusedly. His expression reminds me of Minister Firdousi Begum.

IMG_2371_zpszgdz6qzi.jpg

The return journey includes an overnight stopover in a cold waiting room at Abu Dhabi Airport. I face another 16-hour stopover in Dublin for the final leg, a one hour flight to Manchester. By now I've had quite enough. So in Dublin I go through passport control, and beg my way onto an earlier flight, which saves me twelve hours. I get back to Manchester at 10.00 on a freezing Sunday night. There is rain, and gale force winds. Refuse blows about my ankles before rocketing off down the damp street. There are no trains to my station at that dead time, so I wait half an hour for the bus. I am surrounded by drunken people, who have been out for a night on the town. I get home. I sleep. I wake. I unpack. And life goes on....

IMG_2375d_zpsxpgfiycf.jpg