Tales from the Island of Serendip
9 9

6,094 posts in this topic

19,534 posts

Through the scorching hot Bengal summer, Lucina has continued with her fieldwork.

IMG-20150623-WA0003_zpspa0fcj5o.jpg

19,534 posts

She is in the midst of making her preparations to attend the World Bamboo Conference in Damyang in September. [brother ciorac gave me some helpful advice about South Korean culture to pass on to her. Bill, as a result she will be getting some calling cards printed!]

logo_korea_zpspvsqjj4q.jpg

19,534 posts

By the way, I was hugely touched by two fellow boardies who, quite independently of each other, paid me more than my asking price for a couple of cherished items sold to help raise the costs of her trip. Lucina has promised a full report on her return.

IMG-20150623-WA0004_zpsibnaybpr.jpg

19,534 posts

Progress on other fronts as well. I was able to send Tuku sufficient funds to lay the floor of her new house and I'm hopeful she will be able to move in before Christmas...

..and Lucina's younger sister Lilufar now has the funds to enable her to give up her atrociously paid teaching job and sign up for a 'basic-to-advanced' college I.T. Course...

Thankfully, I do not miss the books I sold to achieve these simple goals.

IMG-20150609-WA0005_zpstdfj0wge.jpg

19,534 posts

Afew weeks before she was due to fly to Damyang Lucina developed a septic tooth. She was ill right up until the night before the flight, when the antibiotics finally did their job.

IMG-20150916-WA0000_zpsvyspkxzs.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

19,534 posts

But on 15th September, she was aboard her first ever flight, on her way to the 10th World Bamboo Congress.

AMBV3Ubt5XN12EFIVdSLmV22Ncq3345jH5JlFoy_Xn0_zps5hsn96dv.jpg

19,534 posts

Lucina was one of 320 delegates from 40 countries, including world-renowned experts in bamboo design, construction, and architecture. Over 90,000 visitors were expected to attend.

IMG_4612_zps7d4sakf4.jpg

19,534 posts

It gave Lucina the ideal opportunity to meet colleagues with similar interests from all parts of the globe which will perhaps one day lead her to develop collaborations in research and development in the uses of bamboo.

IMG_0701_zps1xliba3w.jpg

19,534 posts

Lucina said she got a lot more interest in her scientific presentation from other delegates when she wore her sari.

IMG_4720_zpsismqpcf0.jpg

19,534 posts

Since its inception in Puerto Rico in 1984, each World Bamboo Congress claims to have created new partnerships that have made a real difference for the environment and human communities around the world.

wbc_zpsgn9y5ljj.jpg

19,534 posts

Lucina's latest plan is to visit the United Kingdom next year to meet colleagues with similar interests here.

Fc-cwWBEpVwpWLctvWFa2dHhbLewPfvyeg0GK2ohBl4_zpslw4uoqhy.jpg

19,534 posts

Meanwhile, her younger sister Lilufar decided at the age of 26 to get into politics, following in Mridula's footsteps. This is her name on the wall. (The flowers are the give away.)

IMG-20150911-WA0000_zpswaed9iq5.jpg

19,534 posts

You may recall that their cousin Lija was married off far too young, and when she ran back home the abusive in-laws turned up demanding that she give them Amu, her newborn baby girl.

Lija's story

While Lucina and Lilufar were achieving their career goals, Amu celebrated her second birthday. She now speaks to me on the phone - in English - only a couple of words, but perfectly enunciated.

IMG_5821_zps5kezwyd4.jpg

19,534 posts

Lucina just sent me some more photos of her trip. They are rather good so I thought I'd share them.

IMG_0882_zps972wgzml.jpg