• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

OK, the Serendip thread has convinced me that the time is right to post some of my more recent (2015) B&W fantasy work.

These are both sketches and finished pieces, focusing mostly on dragons and dragon-esque creatures.

Several are mixed media as I've had less time to focus on full scale acrylic paintings given my other artistic pursuits...

Dragon20sketch20102015_zpsn1cj3fhm.jpg

eeaad5d9-a1d5-4a2f-8047-022aa88dd097_zps48sp4sgd.jpg

1ba8e96b-fc95-4623-bb5a-aaffa8b9fdf5_zps9njkvwrw.jpg

1822a48e-3f1e-4c01-a157-586bf3db1e34_zps31in8jee.jpg

1263c857-e554-46a1-aa7d-1913dd74063b_zps7ke3wdov.jpg

105510e4-58cc-460a-aea4-7377efa1bbc6_zpsg2byoijd.jpg

Enjoy! (...critiquing welcome) hide_under_rock_by_mirz123-d37upz0.gif

Do you have a link, Steve?

http://www.amazon.com/Extinction-Million-Princeton-Science-Library/dp/0691165653/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

The author is firmly in the volcanic activity (as opposed to impact) camp for the Permian event.

Do you have any other book recommendations on palaeontolgy Steve?

Here's one for you. :foryou:

wonderful life

Edited by Flex Mentallo

http://www.amazon.com/Extinction-Million-Princeton-Science-Library/dp/0691165653/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

The author is firmly in the volcanic activity (as opposed to impact) camp for the Permian event.

wonderful life

My favorite extinction theory proposed by Larson...

209795_f520.jpg

wonderful life

209795_f520.jpg

Hee hee. Thanks Richard.

'We may as well try to smoke ourselves to death because that darned asteroid will be here any day now anyway.'

That seems so, well, human.

On the whole I think I'd rather be a dinosaur. (Dont say it.)

On the whole I think I'd rather be a dinosaur. (Dont say it.)

hm (I'm only thinking it.)

Nothing new - it's been a while since I've read up on the subject. The Burgess Shale is just fascinating.

wonderful life

Gould is an interesting guy - the competing theories (gradual evolution vs. stable interrupted evolution) are quite remarkable (I tend to agree with Gould, btw).

I agree. Took his writings as gospel for many years. Quite surprised that he seems to have become so controversial in recent years.

His argument is that in the early periods, life had not yet becomes survival of the fittest, more survival of the mutants.

In other words, entirely new phyla would come into existence unrelated to other phyla except in the most rarefied of ways.

As I understand it, more recent theories - which I have yet to read - argue that what appeared to be new phyla were in fact progenitors of existing species.

As I understand it, more recent theories - which I have yet to read - argue that what appeared to be new phyla were in fact progenitors of existing species.

Apparently so, but I thought the Burgess Shale went against that theory (if there's a new modern interpretation, then I'm not up-to-speed on it).

Apparently so, but I thought the Burgess Shale went against that theory (if there's a new modern interpretation, then I'm not up-to-speed on it).

Me too, on both counts.

reception

wonderful life

Was going to recommend that. Wonderful Life is a fascinating book. Gould raised a lot of interesting questions about whether we really understand the evolutionary process. Surprised to hear it was controversial, but then adherence to dogma sometimes gets in the way of open-minded exploration.

Thanks again for this fascinating thread! Although the latest monster pics you posted gave me a start!

159917.jpg.204588222361c9053492acdbe763165b.jpg

And then, on December 23, 1938, the first living specimen was found off the east coast of South Africa. Museum curator Marjorie Courtenay-Latimer discovered the fish among the catch of a local angler. A Rhodes University ichthyologist, J.L.B. Smith, confirmed the fish's importance with a famous cable: "MOST IMPORTANT PRESERVE SKELETON AND GILLS = FISH DESCRIBED"

I remember reading about this in childhood, in the same kind of natural history book that Richard (Yellow Kid) mentioned earlier. Like him, I read those books until they fell apart.

There is a fascinating recent documentary about the discovery.

The fish rotted before Smith could properly examine it. Smith was to certain it would prove the theory that the fish walked on its fins on the ocean bottom.

Unfortunately for Smith, when live specimens were later observed in the wild, this was shown not to be the case.

368360_zpsq2ypb8zc.jpg

The Vancouver Aquarium has a preserved specimen of this species of fish. I remember my Dad taking me there when I was 4 or 5 and telling me about the fish and looking at the display. I did not take this pic, but found in by doing a search on google images. The discussion on this thread made me remember the fishing and seeing it when I was a child.

I thought the group might enjoy seeing the link.

Cheers

Jason

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/baggis/2394754102/

wonderful life

209795_f520.jpg

I've always liked this one too, but am reluctant to show it in one of my classes because some of my students would probably take it seriously...

Dinosaurs-Noahs-Ark.jpg

Thinking back, the other book that made a big impression on me was Stephen Bakker's Dinosaur Heresies. I believe he was the first to propound the theory that dinosaurs were nimble.

Dinosaur Heresies

I ws also fascinated by a long lost National Geographic article about the largest dinosaur that ever lived

Argentinosaurus

blue_whale_size_comparison_2_by_sameerprehistorica-d5zk3fx_zpshirnd9hl.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

wonderful life

209795_f520.jpg

I've always liked this one too, but am reluctant to show it in one of my classes because some of my students would probably take it seriously...

Dinosaurs-Noahs-Ark.jpg

PBF055-Dinosaur_Meteors.jpg