• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

The tribal people of Papua New Guinea who when first confronted by Westerners wielding cameras were said  to declare that the image would 'steal their souls' had it right. Through the camera's eye they had been abducted. So in photographing India I have to confront these matters, and ask myself honestly what am I doing?

When I visited Darjeeling with Purnabha and Lucina in 2016, I chanced to take a snap of this street vendor, who promptly demanded 1000 rupees for the privilege. Whenever I have photographed destitute people I have paid them. But this was a rare occasion when money was demanded of me. This raises profound questions for me regarding the ethics of the photographic process with which I still wrestle.

IMG_6120.JPG

Edited by Flex Mentallo

For example, is it ethical to take photographs without permission? And if only after permission is given, what exactly have you photographed? I have never taken a photograph when the subject has clearly indicated they dont want me to, but in my quest to capture some kind of truth, I have taken far more photographs of which the subject was unaware, which makes me in fact a voyeur. There are no easy, comfortable answers. And this is not least because as Serendip shows, I've taken thousands of photographs of people in India.

dec08jan09-06 (305).JPG

Riefenstahl's Africa

'I can simply say that I feel spontaneously attracted by everything that is beautiful. Yes: beauty, harmony. And perhaps this care for composition, this aspiration to form is in effect something very German. But I don’t know these things myself, exactly. It comes from the unconscious and not from my knowledge…. What do you want me to add? Whatever is purely realistic, slice-of-life, what is average, quotidian, doesn’t interest me…. I am fascinated by what is beautiful, strong, healthy, what is living. I seek harmony. When harmony is produced I am happy. I believe, with this, that I have answered you.'

Leni Riefenstahl

20171224_083219.jpg

In 1962 - when I was 10, The Sunday Times began to publish color supplements. For a boy still forming views about the world, they were an invaluable source of the kind of photography I became interested in. For me the most memorable issues were from 12th and 19th October 1975, which featured Leni Riefenstahl's photographs of the Nuba tribe of Southern Ethiopia.

I eventually acquired a great tome on her photographs called Riefenstahl's Africa. But though my fascination with body art remains undiminished, the uncritical eye with which I regarded Riefenstahl's photographs in 1975 regards things differently today.

20171224_083234.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

The Nuba people reside in one of the most remote and inaccessible places in all of Sudan, the foothills of the Nuba Mountains in central Sudan. At one time the area was considered a place of refuge, bringing together people of many different tongues and backgrounds who were fleeing oppressive governments and slave traders.

20171224_083302.jpg

The Nuba Mountains mark the southern border of the sands of the desert and the northern limit of good soils washed down by the Nile River. Many Nubas, however, have migrated to the Sudanese capital of Khartoum to escape persecution and the effects of Sudan’s civil war. Most of the rest of the 1,000,000 Nuba people live in villages and towns of between 1,000 and 50,000 inhabitants in areas in and surrounding the Nuba mountains. Nuba villages are often built where valleys run from the hills out on to the surrounding plains, because water is easier to find at such points and wells can be used all year long. There is no political unity among the various Nuba groups who live on the hills. Often the villages do not have chiefs but are instead organized into clans or extended family groups with village authority left in the hands of clan elders.

20171224_083420.jpg

Helene Bertha Amalie "Leni" Riefenstahl (22 August 1902 – 8 September 2003) was a German film director, actress and dancer widely noted for her aesthetics and innovations as a filmmaker. Her most famous film was Triumph des Willens (Triumph of the Will), a propaganda film made at the 1934 Nuremberg congress of the Nazi Party. Riefenstahl's prominence in the Third Reich along with her personal friendship with Adolf Hitler thwarted her film career following Germany's defeat in World War II, after which she was arrested but released without any charges. While she was protected from prosecution by powerful friends following the war, even a cursory study makes it impossible to believe that she was unaware of what the Nazis were doing. She was clearly enamored of the Nazi hierarchy, especially Adolf Hitler, shared his confidence on many occasions, and is argued to have turned over lists of film technicians and cameramen , and was given access to and actually used concentration camp inmates as extras in at least one of her films.

leni-23-riefenstahl1.jpg

Towards the end of her life (she died at the age of 101 in 2003) she lived in luxury outside Munich, in a grand glass house known colloquially as "the house the Nuba built." This is the result of (and in reference to) the outstanding commercial success of her books on Africans-principally two different groups of Nuba peoples of South Kordofan. Sudan. She made no attempts to share any of the subsequent wealth with the communities photographed.

7faa6eed9cdddf25d822020ff53af19a.jpg

After the war, Riefenstahl came to Africa. She secured permission to film in the closed districts of Sudan, and attached herself to a group of German physicians and dentists of the German Nansen Society in the 1960s. She got by bureaucrats (such as Sudan Customs) by throwing fits, weeping and yelling. This is the way she operated repeated in Sudan, with great success.

33d7651e87ce74d685ec85fedd18805b.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

It was at this time she claims to have seen a photograph by George Rodger, the British Magnum photographer, of Southern Nuba (Mesakin) wrestlers, which inspired her to visit Kordofan. Rodger had visited the Sudan prior to independence in the 1950s, and published a small book of photographs. He had originally come to Sudan after having been a wartime photographer assigned to accompany allied troops liberating concentration camps. He had actually come to Sudan to flee the horrors of Belsen, and in the most grotesque of ironies, his work inspired Riefenstahl to follow him, and although he refused her repeated requests to disclose their location, she eventually located them 15 years later - by which time they had become far less isolated. Rodger was apparently bitter about this turn of events the rest of his life.

003502005853a47c20805ee5bf3b7cbc.jpg

Her descriptions of her first trips make it clear that she was not interested in anyone in the Southern Nuba area in clothing or who went to school (Riefenstahl actually notes with pleasure her success in undressing people for their photographs). She clearly saw the Nuba as having stalled in some evolutionary scheme, and saw her Southern Nuba photographs as "biblical images which could have dated back to the earliest days of mankind." And yet she also declared that "I felt compelled to record this ritual of a disappearing culture."

Riefenstahl constantly suggests she was at the end of the known world and that few if any others had ever ventured as far as she. Yet according to the anthropologist James C Faris, all of southern Kordofan was well known to many people. 'She makes absurd claims, such as the fact that no outsider had ever spent the rainy season in the southern Nuba Mountains, when even the slightest reading of history would have made it clear that all manner of people had done so.'

csm_Lempertz-844-292-Photographie--Photoarbeiten-Leni-Riefenstahl-Nuba_70ca846f1d.jpg

As a consequence of the publication of her photos and her constant publicity on her own behalf, tourists (principally German) were now flocking to the Southern Nuba and Southeastern Nuba. Local people started to demand money in exchange for their photographs, and Riefenstahl, of course, always the great artist, was indignant, and refused, denying local people at least a chance to earn something from this encounter. She paid instead, with beads and oil and ochre (which meant only the undressed got anything--indeed, people who visited her with clothing were turned away). This began to create great dissention locally, and her cameraman, Kettner, was once thrown down a well in Fungor, one of the Southeast Nuba villages. The young men were earning more money than anyone had ever seen before, and were using it, amongst other things to attempt to pay bridewealth instead of the traditional brideservice requirements. This irritated local elders mightily, as it denied them a source of labor for their daughters.

20171224_083251.jpg

'Riefenstahl’s choice of photographic subject—this tribe and not another—expresses a very particular slant. She interprets the Nuba as a mystical people with an extraordinarily developed artistic sense (one of the few possessions which everyone owns is a lyre). They are all beautiful (Nuba men, Riefenstahl notes, “have an athletic build rare in any other African tribe”); although they have to work hard to survive in the unhospitable desert (they are cattle herders and hunters), she insists that their principal activity is ceremonial. The Last of the Nuba is about a primitivist ideal: a portrait of a people subsisting untouched by “civilization,” in a pure harmony with their environment.' (Susan Sontag)

20469023_8.jpg

Back to Munich, she quickly published the Southeast Nuba pictures in the London Sunday Times magazine supplement (12 October and 19 October 1975). The text was not hers, but a direct steal from Faris's own book published some years before, Nuba Personal Art from 1972. (It was Faris who established that the Nuba body art had no mythical purpose - it was purely aesthetic - in other words art.) She had initially claimed that she 'discovered' the Nuba by seeing them in a dream - but Faris's book clearly maps their location.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Riefenstahl went to Washington to the National Geographic Society, where she was given a hero's reception. Among her admirers at this gathering were Louis Leakey and Jane Goodall. National Geographic had planned a large spread, and had the layout almost done, when they began to realize that they were going to be in the midst of controversy. By now Faris and Southeast Nuba ethnographer Oswald Iten had weighed in -and there was Susan Sontag (whose "Fascinating Fascism" piece on Riefenstahl had recently been published in The New York Review of Books) and others. The spread was cancelled.

LR-1_800.jpg

Riefenstahl's African photography is revealing, however, of a more profoundly disturbing feature characteristic of much modernist Western photographic practice, especially involving non-Westerners or any humans of less power. It can be of the humanist sort, which it mostly is these days-grand often color examples of their beauty, their potential contribution, their genius, or alternatively, their misery, their fall from grace, their victimhood, their loss-a resurrection of their totalities in distortions we have frequently seen, commonly after the physical destruction of them by the West.

f0049aac0b0de49718871c5554aa5bfa.jpg