• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

VERNON HILL

On passing to an open space we came.

Where flared a raging fire, and one within

Burned, and in flickering flame writhed too and fro,

Around him spirits danced in furious glee.

Illustration to Canto viii, The New Inferno by Stephen Phillips (John Lane, 1911)

tumblr_lxz77nibkj1qzjpct.jpg

linky: http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/2008/12/01/december-and-vernon-hill/

Edited by alanna

HARRY CLARKE

'And the dead robed in red and sea-lilies overhead away when the long winds blow.' Illustration to The Dying Patriot by James Elroy Flecker from The Year's at the Spring, an anthology of poems compiled by Lettice D'O. Walters (Harrap, 1920)

fantasy029.jpg

Edited by alanna

I also took inspiration from movies, none more so than the strange poetic movies of Georges Franju…

Judex was remade around 1963 by Georges Franju (who also made a classic horror film called "Les Yeux Sans Visage", which I highjly recommend to anyone who doesnt know it)

judex-affiche_84318_3161.jpg049-judex-lores-72dpi.jpg

In his version of Judex, Franju sought to recapture the feel of the silent fueillades. As with Cocteau's "Orphee", the imagery is poetically surrealistic, and beats the pants of modern cgi -not because itis more convincingly realistic, but because it is dreamlike. Some stills:

judex-franju-01-g.jpg

judex-wallpaper_108916_3161.jpg

judex-1963-19-g.jpg

judex-1963-03-g.jpg

judexfranju3.jpg

judex-1963-04-g.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Serendipity means a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful while not specifically searching for it. The word has been voted one of the ten English words hardest to translate in June 2004 by a British translation company.However, due to its sociological use, the word has been exported into many other languages.

The first noted use of "serendipity" in the English language was by Horace Walpole (1717–1797). In a letter to Horace Mann (dated 28 January 1754) he said he formed it from the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip, whose heroes "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of". The name stems from Serendip, an old name for Sri Lanka (aka Ceylon), from Arabic Sarandib, which was adopted from Tamil "Seren deevu" or originally from Sanskrit Suvarnadweepa or golden island (some trace the etymology to Simhaladvipa which literally translates to "Dwelling-Place-of-Lions Island"). Christophero Armeno had translated the Persian fairy tale into Italian, adapting Amir Khusrau's Hasht Bihisht of 1302.

One aspect of Walpole's original definition of serendipity, often missed in modern discussions of the word, is the need for an individual to be "sagacious" enough to link together apparently innocuous facts in order to come to a valuable conclusion.

What follows is, in a manner of speaking, a tale from the islands of Serendip....

In 1980 I fulfilled a lifetimes ambition and went at last to India for two years as a commonwealth scholar. I’ve been going back ever since.

I met many interesting people there and indeed, it was there I learned that nothing is more important than to meet people who do interesting things, who live by their own lights.

Like Werner Herzog, I will go anywhere to meet them. But then I’ve always thought he was slightly crazy.

Of all the people I met there, Nirmal Sen Gupta was the most interesting, and the one who most changed my life.

He had led an extraordinary life long before I ever met him. Imprisoned by the British for publishing seditious literature in the 1920s, he went on soon after to help found All India Radio. He published novels, exhibited paintings, became a linguist able to translate Arabic to Chinese - and when the war began, joined the Indian version of the army’s special forces. He was later tasked by Indian premier Nehru to help negotiate the surrender of Japanese forces in – I think – Indonesia. He would tell these stories in such a matter of fact way!

After the war he became a high-ranking civil servant. On his retirement in the mid-60’s, he took up residence in a village outside Calcutta. Little by little, children came to him, and an informal village education movement was founded.

Later to be called Paddy field School, after the first location teaching took place (literally a roofless shack by the side of a paddy field), the movement grew. The first generation grew up, began teaching the next. The Jesuits of St Xavier’s College in Calcutta took an interest, offered to build a school and charitable dispensary.

P3100299ff.jpg

Edited by alanna

When I first arrived there in 1982, the roof had not yet been erected.

Nirmal told me of Mohan, a young student who had been his right arm, but was tragically murdered in 1978 for the sake of a few rupees, his mutilated body found floating in a pool.

I suppose in time and through the course of many visits, I became a surrogate for Mohan in Nirmal s eyes, perhaps even in my own.

In 1985 I returned to the village for an extended stay – the first of many.

DaysandNightsintheVillage002e.jpg

Ever since I have tried to put into practice what I saw, learned, witnessed with Nirmal and the hundreds of village children with whom we worked.

Between visits, back home I became by turns an exhibiting painter, a community artist, an illustrator. Some of my village images even made it into print.

barak-erez.jpg

charters.jpg

Nirmal has since died at the ripe old age of 101.

I am now the Chief Executive of an arts and health charity.

But even now, more than a quarter of a century on, Nirmal remains my inspiration.

He would tell such stories!

But the greatest tale was the tale of Mohan, who had been so committed and so beloved in the village. He was clever, yes, creative and ingenious, conjuring schemes to wangle free schoolbooks for the poorest children for example. But above all he was kind and compassionate, giving freely of his time to help others.

I discovered that everyone I met could remember where he or she had been when he or she learned of his death.

And little by little a picture began to emerge in my mind’s eye.

It is a picture that has taken over 20 years to complete, and then only thanks to the wizardry of Photoshop. It is unlike the earlier, brightly coloured paintings, and consciously intended to evoke the feel of mediaeval, threadbare tapestries.

Nirmal sits at lower left, a small child in his lap as he teaches. A group of adults stands in a tight huddle in the centre – based on a worn out photo of Mohan’s funeral.

A figure lies in the water staring upwards. But the floating figure is not Mohan, but me.

nirmalsvillageseries0943.jpg

Little did I know in 1985 that it would take me all those years, or indeed that my life’s journey would be so intertwined with Nirmal and the villagers.

One day in that year, a friend turned up at the school with two bicycles, and invited me for a tour of the local countryside. I agreed with alacrity and off we set.

The countryside is a labyrinth of trees and paths, which suddenly open up into paddy fields a mile wide.

Then all at once we came to another village. And my friend dismounted. We entered a ruined courtyard, and in the courtyard was a dry stone fountain. And I will never forget what he said next:

“Michaelda, this is the house where they filmed Pather Panchali.”

And all at once it was as if I were character in a movie. The zeta beam had struck me after all.

For in the 1968 census it was estimated that there were almost a million villages in India. And here I was, in the one.

Edited by alanna

Sometimes

Sometimes things don't go, after all,

from bad to worse. Some years, muscadel

faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don't fail.

Sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war,

elect an honest man, decide they care

enough, that they can't leave some stranger poor.

Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes our best intentions do not go

amiss; sometimes we do as we meant to.

The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow

that seemed hard frozen; may it happen for you.

-- Sheenagh Pugh

Looks as if the Zeta Beam may have struck you more often than you realize.....sounds like a rich full life. I've always liked you.....now I know why. Merry Christmas......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u