• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Beautiful images, Michael. It’s amazing the amount of technical skill required by a team to create these incredible woodblock prints.

While I don’t own any original Japanese prints yet, I do have a large dealer located just a mile away from me. The temptation is soooo strong...

14 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Beautiful images, Michael. It’s amazing the amount of technical skill required by a team to create these incredible woodblock prints.

While I don’t own any original Japanese prints yet, I do have a large dealer located just a mile away from me. The temptation is soooo strong...

I can well understand, Steve. But once you get bit...I'm content to stick with the books! More books on Japanese Woodblocks to come later. Meanwhile, while speaking of Yoshi toshi, in his early career, he sought to make a name for himself with editions of prints featuring ultra violent content, the so-called 'bloody prints' which is an aspect of Japanese culture still present today. These prints were a best-seller with each design illustrating a killing in cruel undisguised detail.  During the printing process glue mixed with red pigment has been added that gives the blood on the prints a  “thickened” realism. Interesting to compare with American atomic age horror comics, but published more than a hundred years earlier - in fact for decades Yoshi toshi was known only for these, and it is not until far later  that his other, gentler series found renewed popularity. He is now considered the foremost uki-yoe artist of the late period. After him, it ended.

Spoiler

Furuteya Hachirōbei killing a woman in a graveyard‘ (published 4/1867) from the series ‘Eimei nijuhasshuku (Twenty-eight Famous Murders with verse)

0000000000-15.thumb.jpg.9d8fe3c66ba5979638f071a11586e65f.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Who does not love Krazy Kat? I've owned various books over the years but none quite measuring up until I learned that Fantagraphics had published the entire oeuvre in three wonderful volumes. They were by then long out of print and as happens with OOP books were monstrously expensive - at least, the first one was available, but the second and third volumes were nowhere to be found. Dead listings on Amazon quoted them at over $2000 apiece. Suffice to say, after many months of fruitless searching, I eventually got lucky when they popped up on Ebay. Not cheap, but only a fraction of what I feared.

Needless to say, I was overjoyed, since KK is eternally fascinating, and, one might say, at the very epicentre of my current interests. Short of owning original artwork [calling Bangzoom!], these would be the pinnacle...

IMG_20191219_092202.jpg