• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

IMG_20200208_093640.jpg

Makes me think of the 1931 Spanish language version of Dracula, an excellent film.

The story goes that the English cast and crew had the sets during the day, and the Spanish cast and crew had the sets at night. They apparently had the advantage of watching the English dailies and so could adjust their camera angles and lighting to create the desired atmosphere. Highly recommended.

So I attended the annual Los Angeles Fine Print Fair today, located next to the Pasadena Convention Center. Managed to peruse several hundred original Japanese wood block prints from the early 18th Century all the way through the 1950’s. It was like being in a museum and compared to other non-Japanese print vendors who were in the room, this particular dealer was very busy.

Though not as hotly collected as some of his contemporaries, I’ve quickly become a fan of the works from Yoshu Chikanobu (1838-1912). The print below was called a Very Good by the seller because of the single moisture drop at the bottom right of the winged ghost (otherwise it is in Excellent condition).

The Lady Iga and Winged Ghost (1886):

B17F8F36-B736-4F44-A020-CD3735AC6526.jpeg

And this was my big score for the day, a superb image from Hiroshi Yoshida (1876-1950). Of course it was the most expensive Yoshida in the room, but it was love at first sight.

Small Town in Chugoku (1933):

CE7F8CBC-D009-4047-8296-B96C9B629628.jpeg

Edited by sacentaur

We talk about how scarce GA comic books are, with time and WWII paper drives leading to destruction of most examples. Japan also has similar events with the major earthquake in 1923 and of course the homeland being (fire)bombed in WWII. 

The beauty of seeing these wood block prints in person cannot be overemphasized, thankfully some did survive.

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

So I attended the annual Los Angeles Fine Print Fair today, located next to the Pasadena Convention Center. Managed to peruse several hundred original Japanese wood block prints from the early 18th Century all the way through the 1950’s. It was like being in a museum and compared to other non-Japanese print vendors who were in the room, this particular dealer was very busy.

Though not as hotly collected as some of his contemporaries, I’ve quickly become a fan of the works from Yoshu Chikanobu (1838-1912). The print below was called a Very Good by the seller because of the single moisture drop at the bottom right of the winged ghost (otherwise it is in Excellent condition).

The Lady Iga and Winged Ghost (1886):

B17F8F36-B736-4F44-A020-CD3735AC6526.jpeg

That's just wonderful!