• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

At the Print Fair yesterday, it was interesting to learn how those collectors look at condition.

For example, trimming is fairly common with these oversized oban images. Wormhole repairs are common. Many prints are backed. Color vibrancy is very important. As with comic books, violent images bring a premium (think PCH here).

The sellers were proactive in disclosing repairs (e.g., binder hole fills) but they also missed some subtle things that I pointed out. Later in the day one seller said to me, “You know your paper.” :smile:

5 hours ago, sacentaur said:

At the Print Fair yesterday, it was interesting to learn how those collectors look at condition.

For example, trimming is fairly common with these oversized oban images. Wormhole repairs are common. Many prints are backed. Color vibrancy is very important. As with comic books, violent images bring a premium (think PCH here).

The sellers were proactive in disclosing repairs (e.g., binder hole fills) but they also missed some subtle things that I pointed out. Later in the day one seller said to me, “You know your paper.” :smile:

Very interesting, Steve! I have to ask, what were the subtle things?

7 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Very interesting, Steve! I have to ask, what were the subtle things?

A tiny glue repair and a slight non-color breaking center fold (not really visible from the front, but from the rear).

Little things really, they’re not as persnickety as us comic book collectors.